Top 30 Capcom games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Top 30 Capcom games

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 08, 2013 3:33 pm

To celebrate Capcom's 30th anniversary we thought we'd do a reader's list of its best games.
Simply add your top ten games and give them a vote from 1(least favourite) to Ten for your favourite.
We'll then tally up the scores in a couple of weeks and fudge them so that Strider becomes number one. Feel free to add a little comment on particular favourites, as they may appear in the magazine.

I'll kick off with the following

Strider 10
Resident Evil 4 9
Street Fighter III: Third Strike 8
Dungeons & Dragons Shadow Over Mystara 7
Street Fighter 4 6
PN 03 5
Strider 2 4
Power Stone 2 3
UN Squadron 2
1944 The Loop Master 1

Roo

Re: Top 30 Capcom games

Post by Roo » Wed May 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Super Street Fighter II Turbo - 10
Strider - 9
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 8
Viewtiful Joe 2 - 7
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - 6
Final Fight - 5
UN Squadron - 4
Ghouls 'N Ghosts - 3
Onimusha: Warlords - 2
Super Pang - 1

I'd like to single out Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective in particular. It's such an innovative, engaging game in which the story is told in an utterly brilliant way. The sounds, script and animation are spot-on - one of Capcom's absolute best.
Last edited by Roo on Wed May 08, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed May 08, 2013 3:53 pm

1. Resident Evil 2 (10)
2. Devil May Cry (9)
3. Ghosts n Goblins (8)
4. Dino Crisis (7)
5. Gunbird 2 (6)
6. Resident Evil 4 (5)
7. Commando (4)
8. Strider (3)
9. Powerstone (2)
10. Viewtiful Joe (1)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed May 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Alien Vs. Predator (arcade) - 10
The Punisher (arcade) - 9
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (arcade) - 8
Captain Commando (arcade) - 7
Mercs (Mega Drive) - 5
LED Storm (Atari ST) - 4
Final Fight (Mega CD) - 3
Dynasty Wars (Atari ST) - 2
Bionic Commando (NES) - 1

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed May 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Resident Evil 4 (Cube) - 10
UN Squadron/Area 88 (SNES version only) - 9
Street Fighter 2 Turbo (arcade/SNES) - 8
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (DS) - 7
Alien vs Predator (arcade) - 6
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers (NES) - 5
Final Fight (arcade) - 4
Mega Man 2 (NES) - 3
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES) - 2
Commando (arcade) - 1
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm

So Strider has 30 points so far. It's doing well :P

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed May 08, 2013 4:28 pm

I don't feel like I've played enough Capcom games to offer an ordered top ten. Though I suspect half of them would be Resident Evil games. Although I'd probably include Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and Viewtiful Joe, Zack and Wiki might sneak in there aswell. I'd probably include Okami too though I haven't played enough of it yet to rank it.

I've got a question though that might be useful for other people, would the Zelda Gameboy Colour/GBA titles count as Capcom games?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed May 08, 2013 4:36 pm

I love Capcom and this question is great excuse to do a top ten and pontificate!!

10 - Final Fight. The draw for me is the great character design and the 3 distinctly different playing styles that need to be mastered in order to complete the game. I cannot count the amount of money I've thrown at this game, whether it's credits in the arcade cab or the multiple versions of the game I've bought over the years.

09 - Street Fighter Alpha 3. The original along with Final Fight can be considered one of those rare things "Genre Defining", but Alpha 3 for me is the ultimate refinement of the series in 2D. Not only is is gorgeous to look at but the gameplay is so finely balanced it's close to perfection.

08 - Mars Matrix. To call this game graphically pig ugly is a bit harsh, but visually this hardcore shmup is an acquired taste. It's a good job the game delivers a completely uncompromising and sublime shooting experience.

07 - Ghouls N' Ghosts. Another toughie from Capcom which dazzles you graphically in order to kill you, don't look at the lovely effects and character designs or you'll die! Just the right amount of jumping and shooting, sure it's frustrating but it's also addictive as hell.

06 - Darkstalkers 3 Vampire Savior. Not as refined as it's big brother Street Fighter 2 in terms of gameplay but the game oozes atmosphere and has bold character design. By the time the series reached it's second sequel it had caught up with more complex Capcom fighters and more importantly the game is fun to play.

05 - Puzzle Fighter. Amazingly Street Fighter 2 + a gem puzzle game works really, really well! Like the Street Fighter series of fighting games Puzzle Fighter has a subtle and rewarding battle system.

04 - Alien Vs Predator. I don't say this lightly but the best arcade game to never get a home port. The game allows you effectively control the elements of the dream film that everyone wanted - Aliens, Predators, and Arnie in one gorgeous package. The pinnacle of 2d scrolling beat-em-ups? If it isn't it's close.

03 - Strider. It's obligatory!

02 - Progear. When Capcom get Cave to make them a shooter this is the result, a gorgeous looking and for Cave very accessible shooting experience. Many fans of the company maintain that this is their best horizontal shooter, it's easy to see why.

01 - U.N. Squadron

Dam

Post by Dam » Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Super Street Fighter IV - 10
Resident Evil - 9
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - 8
Resident Evil 2 - 7
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs - 6
Ghouls and Ghosts - 5
UN Squadron (SNES) - 4
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis - 3
Capcom vs SNK 2 - 2
Duck Tales - 1

Can't believe I struggled a bit with that, as I've always considered Capcom to be my favourite developer. That said, the top 3 here are in my top 5 games of all time.

Also can't believe I'm the first person to even mention SSFIV. Its the best game ever made for sure!

Edit: I just noticed that Darran mentions SF4, is that meaning 'all versions of 4'? Beacuse SSF4 or AE or 2012 or whatever are all pretty much the same thing, but surely no-one would consider the original SF4 better than Super?
Last edited by Dam on Wed May 08, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed May 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Oh Darran, how could you? Asking me to choose 10 of Capcom's finest & then put them in some kind of order.

Here goes nothing;

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (10) - the refinement of the most genre defining game of the 90's (barring Doom of course!)
Final Fight (9) - scrolling fighter par excellence, where the villains upstage the heroes.
Resident Evil Remake (8) - It should be the original really but the cube remake just polishes an already great game & adds more content on top. The standard barer for remakes HD or otherwise.
Marvel Super Heroes (7) - More fighting action with marvel crew but differs to others of its ilk by the use of the infinity gems.
1942 (6) - Old school shoot'em up which kept me occupied on many occasions in my youth.
God Hand (5) - There was a temptation to give this game a higher placing. It's Final Fight taken to the third dimension but with added humour, bonkers action & fantastic villains once again taking centre stage.
Resident Evil 3 (4) - More RE fun as the titular Nemesis chases Jill Valentine around Raccoon City desperate for a date. Jill was overheard commenting that she'd never seen such a big rocket launcher.
Darkstalkers (3) - Street Fighter 2 refreshed with added several gameplay features not seen in previous fighters. The art direction was & is outstanding.
Knights of the Round (2) - Again, would like to have placed this higher. A very polished scrolling fighter.
Killer 7 (1) - Completely out there, original, bonkers & a very marmite experience. It is an on the rails shooter at its heart but the story was the outstanding feature here.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Okami 10
Zelda: LTTP/4 Swords 9
Resi 4 8
1942 7
LED Storm 6
Shantae 5
UN Squadron 4
Commando 3
Streetfighter II 2
Mega Man 2 1

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed May 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:So Strider has 30 points so far. It's doing well :P
use a spinal tap rating,any list that doesn't give it a 10 automatically gets it 11 :wink:

my list
sfII:sce (MD)-10
resident evil:directors cut (ps1)-9
ghouls 'n ghosts (MD)-8
final fight (arcade)-7
cadillac and dinosaurs (arcade)-6
1943 battle of midawy (arcade)-5 i think this is the first one i played.
alien vs predator (arcade)-4
onimusha (ps2)-3
the punisher (arcade)-2
knights of the round (arcade)-1
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed May 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Resident Evil remake - 10
Resident Evil 2 - 9
Super Street Fighter 4 - 8
Okami - 7
Breath of Fire - 6
Devil May Cry - 5
Onimusha 2 - 4
Rival Schools - 3
Power Stone - 2
Capcom Vs Snk 2 - 1
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed May 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Resident Evil 2 - 10
Strider - 9
Resident Evil 4 - 8
Resident Evil - 7
Quiz & Dragons - 6
Dino Crisis - 5
Bionic Commando - 4
Knights of the Round - 3
Breath of Fire III - 2
Breath of Fire IV - 1

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

fahrenheit1987

Post by fahrenheit1987 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Having looked at the list on Wikipedia, it turns out that I've only payed 5 Capcom games, 3 of them on the Spectrum and 2 on GameCube. And incredibly easy to rate them!

1. Ghosts 'n' Goblins. Loved this - played it to death on a holiday in Scarborough.
2. Commando
3. 1942
4. Viewtiful Joe
5. Resident Evil - I really hate this, because I'm ridiculously squeamish. I played it up until the first zombie appearance and felt sick! Didnt play it again for months. Eventually I went back and played it some more, but its just boring.