Early Mario or Early Sonic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic

Post by crusto » Sat May 04, 2013 10:26 am

^Barely controllable?

Nah, you're just crap at. It :wink:

Eat your nans pants

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 am

Sonic 2 is the best platformer ever made imo.

I do love the early mario games though. If I was made to play the best of each series I'd go for Sonic, if I were made to play them all I'd choose mario.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:42 am

crusto wrote:^Barely controllable?

I probably can't offer much defense against that charge! I've tried really hard with Mario 3 and Mario world.. and struggled with both... 3d Mario land I can do though!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat May 04, 2013 11:46 am

Never had much time for Sonic tbh, as it doesn't suit my style of play. I prefer slower games generally, so its Mario all the way for me. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat May 04, 2013 2:39 pm

slacey1070 wrote:

I probably can't offer much defense against that charge! I've tried really hard with Mario 3 and Mario world.. and struggled with both... 3d Mario land I can do though!
At least you owned up! If there is one thing both Sonic and Mario do not have, that's bad control. :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat May 04, 2013 3:39 pm

nakamura wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:

At least you owned up! If there is one thing both Sonic and Mario do not have, that's bad control. :D
Yeah, both games have rock solid controls. Which is probably why, whichever order you place them in, they're generally considered the best two platformers of their era.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Happy to hold hands up to my rubbishness! Mario land on the gb was so easy, 25 lives? No problem...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sat May 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Sonic by far. I felt particularly on the MD the level design was much more dynamic, ambitious and more fun to play through and i loved the MD special stages as it gave the game a surreal like feel. I never got into the 2d Mario games the same way and found the games to be mostly a bit dull and boring and felt too many of the levels were the same as each other in style although i did enjoy the Game Boy Mario Land games and Snes Yoshi's Island.

In 3d however i have the total opposite opinion and feel the Mario games are far better, in fact i believe Mario belongs in 3d as he is slower and should be more about level exploration which works so well in 3d.

Oh and i forgot to mention that as i type this out i'm playing through Super Mario 3d Land on my 3DS XL and am on the last world and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The levels have been rich in imagination and just the right length. My only complaint is bar one level i have found the game to be a piece of pi** difficulty wise and have over 135 lives :shock:
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Mon May 06, 2013 3:58 am

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:
Oh and i forgot to mention that as i type this out i'm playing through Super Mario 3d Land on my 3DS XL and am on the last world and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The levels have been rich in imagination and just the right length. My only complaint is bar one level i have found the game to be a piece of pi** difficulty wise and have over 135 lives :shock:
Your second play through will be better :) Once you complete the game you open up new worlds and challenges. It is still quite easy though, it's no Mario 2 :P

I prefer old school Mario if you're talking 8-bit, SMB3 is just a master piece and it's amazing how much they achieved with an 8-Bit system. I love the SMS Sonic games but they cannot compete with SMB3.

As for 16-bit, this is so so tough - even though I preferred Sonic 2 to SMW I've probably spent more time with SMW. Graphically I prefer Sonic's style, it suited the 90s to a tee! Sonic's also got the "attitude"

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon May 06, 2013 5:39 am

nokgod wrote:Never had much time for Sonic tbh, as it doesn't suit my style of play. I prefer slower games generally, so its Mario all the way for me. :)
This. The only Sonic game I ever mildly enjoyed was Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. So Mario it is then :D

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:00 am

Very strange one.

As big a fan as I am/was of Sonic, and considering how big a sega fan I am, I always think of Sonic games when I look back at my childhood, yet I strangely remember playing more Mario games as a child. Maybe because I only had sonic 1 and 2 , yet owned all 3 Marios. Also, as a child with 2 other brothers , Mario was always the better game multiplayer so maybe thats why I remember playing more Mario than Sonic.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 am

Both are good for different reasons, but I'd have to side with Mario...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon May 06, 2013 6:37 am

Mario games by far though I hate Mario 64.. Also like Mario 2/Mario USA though a lot of people don't..

Sonic reminds me of a Commodore 64 budget game Cyber 1(I think by sparklers) Easy enough until when you got into the Tunnel and the instructions say you hit warp speed) You'd need to book a appointment with the Opticians after that.. Same with Sonic so fast you can't see what your doing, I do like Sonic Dreamcast games
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon May 06, 2013 6:40 am

Early Mario edges it for me, I like them both but just prefer Mario. I prefer the slower pace of Mario too.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon May 06, 2013 6:50 am

Shinobi wrote: Also like Mario 2/Mario USA though a lot of people don't..
That one is my fav NES Mario.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)