Early Mario or Early Sonic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

Early Mario or Early Sonic

Post by dste » Fri May 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Was playing some Sonic and Sonic 2 the other day and whilst I think that they are fantastic games I was sat thinking that I just find them to be a bit lacking compared to the Mario games of the NES and SNES.

For me I prefer the game play of Mario with the costumes and enemies like the Hammer Bros amongst other things and enjoy the games that little bit more.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

nakamura

Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic

Post by nakamura » Fri May 03, 2013 4:59 pm

They are remarkably different games really. Mario is all about exploring and secrets where as Sonic is more flashy with a time trial feel to it. I love Master System Sonic 1-2 as much as all NES Mario games myself due to the hidden within the levels emeralds.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri May 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Mario, easily. The early Mario games are among the most well-crafted in history, so much so that the basic mechanics are still being used in best-selling and critically well recieved games 30 years later.

I always found the Sonic games flashier but less interesting, with far fewer secrets and tricks up their sleeve. Still very good games though, certainly.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri May 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Sonic easily, Mario games bore me to tears.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri May 03, 2013 7:09 pm

I like them both but as others have said there 2 very different kinds of games.
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri May 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Mario by far.

The Mario series have more of an actual substantial 'game' feel to them rather than the 'just hold down right on the d-pad and try to get to the end as quick as possible' mechanic of Sonic.

That being said, I really did enjoy Sonic 3 and Knuckles....for the same reasons that Nakamura liked the Master System ones, in that it was actually necessary to explore the levels and appreciate them rather than just whiz through them.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri May 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Easily the early Sonic The Hedgehog games on Mega Drive. The Super Mario Bros. games on NES were ugly, dull, plodding, slow and lacked character in comparison.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 03, 2013 8:40 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:I like them both but as others have said there 2 very different kinds of games.
Yeah, I go with this. Both terrific games, different enough to warrant enjoying both. I'd probably go towards the Mario series personally, but taking nothing away from the Sonic games that are heaps of fun.
IMO the Mario ones made the better transition as time went on, the Sonic games kind of lost their way for a while for me. The Sonic generations game is a welcome return to form though and got back to what made the Sonic games so much fun

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 pm

They are very different games and i enjoy both plenty, but i prefer Mario. It's easier to appreciate the varied level designs and small details of the Mario games over Sonic's since they are built for you to whizz through them. Definitely prefer the music in Sonic though.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat May 04, 2013 8:47 am

The Laird wrote:Sonic easily, Mario games bore me to tears.
Same as that, but the first two Game Boy ones are fun enough. And the second NES one.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat May 04, 2013 8:59 am

Sonic is excellent and I really enjoyed the series over the years. But mario is the stronger series for me, I felt far more compelled to play the mario games rather than the sonic ones. Saying that, sonic is far more fun if you want a 'quick blast'.

Super mario world is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Eat your nans pants

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 am

Early Mario for me, just classic Nintendo IMO (my fave is still SMB1), although I did enjoy the first 2 sonic games on the Master System.
I always found the MD Sonic games too much like a platform racer!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:02 am

im not a huge fan of either series but the mario games are far better

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sat May 04, 2013 9:59 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
The Laird wrote:Sonic easily, Mario games bore me to tears.
Same as that, but the first two Game Boy ones are fun enough. And the second NES one.
same here as well,i've tried many times to get into mario games and the only one that's really held my interest is the first mario land.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:16 am

Sonic by a country mile... Look good, feel good, play fast.

Mario slow, dull with a,barely controllable main character. Mario 3 being the worst for that...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.