Speccy VS C64 VS CPC

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Your most beloved home computer?

Amstrad CPC
24%
Commodore 64
32%
ZX Spectrum
45%

Total votes: 85

Mancman

Re: Speccy VS C64 VS CPC

Post by Mancman » Fri May 31, 2013 7:39 pm

To be honest, never really understood the fascination with the Speccy. With all those 3 colours clashing and what not. My cousin owned one and the only game I remember that stood out was Robocop, which in itself was a poor second to the excellent Amstrad version.

C64 was a decent machine though, can't argue with that. I remember hearing a machine talk for the fist time on my mates C64. Repton 5, if I remember correctly would voice the title at some point. Maybe after the ten minute load.

BTW, I'm Amstrad born and bred. :mrgreen:

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri May 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Mancman wrote:I remember hearing a machine talk for the fist time on my mates C64. Repton 5, if I remember correctly would voice the title at some point. Maybe after the ten minute load.
Speech always slows down loading, even phonetic routines like the one used on Repton 3 but the disk version takes less than a minute including the pause whilst it says "welcome to Repton 3 from Superior software" so ten minutes off tape seems a bit excessive.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:16 am

TMR wrote:
Mancman wrote:I remember hearing a machine talk for the fist time on my mates C64. Repton 5, if I remember correctly would voice the title at some point. Maybe after the ten minute load.
Speech always slows down loading, even phonetic routines like the one used on Repton 3 but the disk version takes less than a minute including the pause whilst it says "welcome to Repton 3 from Superior software" so ten minutes off tape seems a bit excessive.
Yeah, It was a slight exaggeration, In a light hearted kinda way. Thanks for clearing that up, anyhow!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:07 pm

I honestly think that people only think the speccy was better because thats what people had. you always think what you had was the best.

I had an Amstrad and me and many of my speccy owning mates rated it above the speccy.

having solid coloured graphics just seemd miles ahead of some of the speccy graphics,

I always hear the same old thing " amstrad games were just blocky blobs of colour that looked messy and you could not make out what the graphics were supposed to be. Thats not how I remember it and looking at Youtube vids even now, I dont think thats a fair thing to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2EqX3rpJ6M

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:18 pm

I have no preference. I never owned any of the 'popular' machines so used to go round my mates' houses to play around on theirs, from that I learnt to just appreciate them all. The CPC is awesome, still don't get what people's problem is with it. Loved playing Nemesis and Laser Squad on my friend's CPC. Played a lot more on the C64 though. But funnily enough hardly ever got to play on a Speccy, did see Spy Hunter and Paperboy though which were pretty good when we borrowed a Speccy for a bit from one of my older brother's friends. So yeah, anything really :)
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:25 pm

kelp7 wrote:I have no preference. I never owned any of the 'popular' machines so used to go round my mates' houses to play around on theirs, from that I learnt to just appreciate them all. The CPC is awesome, still don't get what people's problem is with it. Loved playing Nemesis and Laser Squad on my friend's CPC. Played a lot more on the C64 though. But funnily enough hardly ever got to play on a Speccy, did see Spy Hunter and Paperboy though which were pretty good when we borrowed a Speccy for a bit from one of my older brother's friends. So yeah, anything really :)

The CPC's " problem " is that most people owned the other machines so it was easy to just bash it and have other owners just go along with it because they owned one of the other machines.

They can say over the top things about it because the CPC owners are in the minority so they just get shouted down when defending it.

The way some people talk about it you would think it was incapable of a decent port of PONG.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:33 pm

I was an cpc owner. Loved it from day one. My next door neighbour had a C64 so we always played on each others machines and did not fight at all about which was best as we just loved playing games

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:36 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:The CPC's " problem " is that most people owned the other machines so it was easy to just bash it and have other owners just go along with it because they owned one of the other machines.

They can say over the top things about it because the CPC owners are in the minority so they just get shouted down when defending it.

The way some people talk about it you would think it was incapable of a decent port of PONG.
Very silly although I imagine some people are doing it in jest. But still, it was a great machine, I think my favourite version of Nebulus is the CPC one. Loved watching my friend play the Freescape games too, i'm sure they ran faster than on the c64...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Yes, there's an element of jest in my CPC bashing, but at the time I owned a Spectrum and a C64, so the CPC was rarely home to the best version of any of the games I wanted to play, so there's some truth to it too.

Bear in mind I was originally (and still am) an Oric owner, so I've had my fair share of being a minority computer owner. Sometimes Oric games would be better than the Dragon versions, sometimes not, but more often there would be a better one of the Speccy.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Its not even up for debate is it?

The C64 was by far the better of the 3.
Andrew Braybrook said so...That settles it really.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:36 am

I had a spectrum and will go for that because I haven't really played on the others that much... My cousins c64 always looked and sounded better to me at the time... but he hardly touched the thing and i was constantly playing my speccy... everyone else I knew had a spectrum and i think the wealth of free games, recommendations, social kudos etc. were more important than slightly better stats or whatever...
In my local game shop spectrum had c64 games beat 10 to 1... so there was lots of stuff that just wasn't available to me...
I suppose now though none of that really matters as much... Its easy enough to jump from platform to platform to exploit the best version of games anyway...

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:56 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:In order, it goes C64 then Spectrum (though on some days/games that order will reverse). Amstrad doesn't get a mention, its just a wannabe.
Spector wrote:I've just checked the results so far: looks like Darran's already voted!
snowkatt wrote:
Spector wrote:I've just checked the results so far: looks like Darran's already voted!
yeah !
the amstrad only has got one vote
and it is likley to stay that way :wink:
SirClive wrote:
pforson wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:In order, it goes Spectrum then C64 (though on some days/games that order will reverse). Amstrad doesn't get a mention, its just a wannabe.
Quoted for absolute truth.

In retrospect, I hope that some of you see that this was wrong and not very funny. The presence of Amstrad users on this board is increasing in spite of annoying posts like the above.
ivarf wrote:The rest of the CPC users have been scared away from this forum by you lot
I am happy to see that more new Amstrad users are now joining the this board :D :D

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:11 am

ivarf wrote:In retrospect, I hope that some of you see that this was wrong and not very funny.
Over at CPC Wiki, the header on the Games section reads "No colour clashing! Play games in shades other than brown! Woo-hoo!"...

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:24 am

I was lucky enough to get a Spectrum for Christmas in '84, and very happy I was with it too.
While I appreciated Knight Lore and Alien8 I never really enjoyed the game, preferring the later Head over Heel and Batman.
I had it for about 4 years, favourite games were Elite, Tau Ceti, Academy (Tau Ceti 2), Starstrike, Dynamite Dan 2 and tons more I'm sure i've forgotten.

A mate had the C64 and Uridium blew me away.
Whilst the Speccy eventually got a version of the game, and it was an impressive feat to see it on the platform, the C64 version was breathtaking.

A neighbour had the CPC-464 and it was just fine, his model having the colour screen, but the only limiting factor seemed to be the lack of software, especially compared to the other two, presumably as it came relatively late to the market.

But, I digress, the Spectrum was a marvellous device, littered with shortcomings but none of them seemed to matter, I-Ball, Pyjamarama, Finders Keepers and Knight Tyme all brilliant fun.
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 am

ciderman wrote:
But, I digress, the Spectrum was a marvellous device, littered with shortcomings but none of them seemed to matter, I-Ball, Pyjamarama, Finders Keepers and Knight Tyme all brilliant fun.

Add the C64 music to those games and you have the perfect versions! :wink: :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/