Speccy VS C64 VS CPC

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Your most beloved home computer?

Amstrad CPC
24%
Commodore 64
32%
ZX Spectrum
45%

Total votes: 85

necronom

Re: Speccy VS C64 VS CPC

Post by necronom » Sun May 05, 2013 12:05 pm

ivarf wrote:
TMR wrote:
8bitwarrior wrote:Just on the resolutions, didn't the C64 have different graphics modes that nobody really used? Something equal to the Speccy's 256×192 resolution but with equally limited palette :?:
There's a 320x200 mode with 16 colours and a similar (but less limited) attribute system to the Spectrum.
Did any games use this mode? Would be interesting to see how it looked. I hope it was used for more than bad speccyports
I think The Trapdoor used it. I think it was probably used on games that were also out on the Spectrum, so whether you class that as a "bad speccy port" is up to you.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sun May 05, 2013 12:37 pm

necronom wrote:
ivarf wrote:
TMR wrote: There's a 320x200 mode with 16 colours and a similar (but less limited) attribute system to the Spectrum.
Did any games use this mode? Would be interesting to see how it looked. I hope it was used for more than bad speccyports
I think The Trapdoor used it. I think it was probably used on games that were also out on the Spectrum, so whether you class that as a "bad speccy port" is up to you.
If the game look the same as the spectrum game, do not use the full 320x 200 and 16 colours and still use this mode, that sounds like a lazy speccyport to me. The port might of course still be a good game. I had a look at C64-version of Trapdoor. It looks like they have added extra dots of nothing to fill the screen

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 pm

ivarf wrote:
TMR wrote:There's a 320x200 mode with 16 colours and a similar (but less limited) attribute system to the Spectrum.
It's mostly Spectrum ports (or Amstrad ports in the case of the Dizzy adventures)...

...and, because most of the games were ports and some like Karnov were hideously bad, the mode itself got something of a bad reputation so became less popular with the developers.

One thing the C64 can do is mix modes, so there's a few games out there with 2:1 ratio pixels for foreground graphics and 1:1 high res pixels for the background; have a look at Mayhem in Monsterland, Turrican and it's sequel, Katakis or Enforcer for example.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Sun May 05, 2013 3:17 pm

I can't believe people are still propagating that nonsense about Dizzy being designed for Amstrad, all you need to do is look at the resolution to see which computer it was designed for (let alone the fact that the CPC versions actually run with the most slowdown, have fewer colours etc).

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun May 05, 2013 4:09 pm

storm_maker wrote:I can't believe people are still propagating that nonsense about Dizzy being designed for Amstrad, all you need to do is look at the resolution to see which computer it was designed for (let alone the fact that the CPC versions actually run with the most slowdown, have fewer colours etc).
Oops. To be honest i've always taken the CPC bunnies' word on that one without checking but i've just been doing a bit of digging around and yup, the original target platform was the Spectrum. There's an Edge piece posted online in January this year that says...
Making of Dizzy wrote:By now the Spectrum was a much bigger market than the Amstrad, so Dizzy was developed for Sinclair’s system. The brothers hated the squidgy keyboard, though, so they wrote the game on their Amstrad, getting an electronics expert friend to design a rudimentary serial cable capable of streaming data to the Spectrum via the printer port.
...in the last paragraph of the first page. i knew the CPC had been used as a cross assembler and the Olivers said a few times that Dizzy's shape was because their CPC-based sprite editor could rotate objects but not if they were too complex, but the target machine was indeed the Spectrum.

i've been trying to think of C64 games that use the 320x200 mode and i'm slightly annoyed at myself for not thinking of Paradroid almost immediately:

After that, there's also Paul O'Malley's Arac (or Spiderbot in the US)...

...or the Ultima series:

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Sun May 05, 2013 4:21 pm

Sorry, I was pretty rude with that post.

Great find on the Edge article, its nice to have a direct Oliver Twins quote.

Every time I've mentioned this in the past, starting with "but it doesn't make sense because...." I've been shot down.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun May 05, 2013 6:07 pm

storm_maker wrote:Sorry, I was pretty rude with that post.

Great find on the Edge article, its nice to have a direct Oliver Twins quote.
No offense taken. =-)

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Sun May 05, 2013 7:02 pm

I've been messing about with this Amstrad Mode 1 mock-up in Microsoft Paint for a while.

Looks a bit drab admittedly, but then it does take place in a castle.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Mon May 06, 2013 3:49 am

Swainy wrote:Image

She's already binned the CPC :)
I approve whole heartily with this post

(apart from the CPC comment, I love the CPC, Speccy sucks hahahahahahahaha)

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:45 am

I was the twelth to vote for the Amstrad CPC. I had the 464 plus all the add-ons, and later had a 6128+. I was (un)lucky enough to also have a Sperctrum 48k at roughly the same time, which I bought off a mate for £8odd as he was desperate for money and it came with a ton of games. I remember loading up the Speccy games and wondering what all the fuss was about, the games really seemed to suck compared to my beloved CPC.

I would also play the C64 every weekend down my cousins, and was always impressed with a lot of the games. I'm happy I chose the CPC though, as it really seemed to be the best of all worlds, ideal for serious work and games, and the best of the best CPC games were truly brilliant compared to other versions.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue May 07, 2013 12:23 pm

I've just voted Amstrad because it was the only one I owned. I loved Speccy and C64 as various friends had them as well. But Amstrad remains a fond memory for me, especially the likes of Super Robin Hood, the Dizzy games, most of the Codemasters budget games and weirdly I loved Thundercats and Rygar too.

Amstrad was 'rare' in my school, so it was nice to have experienced it when it was a current machine rather than looking back at it now and comparing.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue May 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Oh and of course Head over Heels, Alien 8 and Batman Isometric one were ace on Amstrad :) Can't believe I forgot them...

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm

My Name is Ivar, and I'm an Amstraholic. I am still addicted

8bitwarrior

Post by 8bitwarrior » Tue May 07, 2013 8:56 pm

My grandparents owned a CPC, guess that speaks volumes about it. Still I can't knock it, wasn't that bad. Only in comparison to the Speccy and C64 does it fail (imo). I remember playing Scooby Doo on it more than anything and some weird game about trying to get away from a Minotaur in a maze (any help appreciated on the name).

Anyway, seems like the most loved is the Spectrum.....I can see why. I did love mine. Although I still think overall if I was a kid again in the 80's I'd be picking a C64 over the other two...Now though I can own any 8)

Balders

Post by Balders » Thu May 09, 2013 9:10 pm

8bitwarrior wrote:Just on the resolutions, didn't the C64 have different graphics modes that nobody really used? Something equal to the Speccy's 256×192 resolution but with equally limited palette :?:
Actually there are plenty of c64 games that use its 320 x 200 hires mode, and loads more that mix a bit of hires in with the more familiar multicolour mode.

But it's true that games which were 100% hires were sometimes criticised for looking too spectrum like... mainly if they were monochrome though.