The Ridge Racer series

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

Re: The Ridge Racer series

Post by snowkatt » Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 am

i only like type 4

ridge racer 5 just infuriates me
and rage racer is just a grindfest with 4 tracks
and quite frankly that bores me
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 am

Joey wrote:I remember seeing the original game for the first time at the American Adventure theme park. It was the big sit down cab with the clutch pedal.

The one I haven't played and cant comment on is the vita version but it doesn't seem like I'm missing out there!

What is your favourite and least favourite of the series, your favourite track, car and ost maybe?

For me the best game is Rage Racer. It has the best soundtrack, a proper progression/upgrade system and car models that are based on real cars. It's probably one of my most played PS1 games ever and mastering those tracks was so much fun. The only downside to the game is the terrible collision where one small touch of another car/barrier brought your car to a grinding halt. It certainly made you have to work to perfect your races though!

My least fave of the series is RR V. Just a bit dull, uninspiring and a poor soundtrack. I felt it was the start of its downhill spiral.

Special mention goes to the PSP games. They were pretty much the 'Greatest Hits' throwing in all the old cars and tracks and looking great running at 60fps!
I enjoy the Ridge Racer games, I do like the arcadey racers over the realistic ones. My fave would be the Rage Racer PS1 as well. Has anyone got the 3DS RR? Was thinking of picking that up. I have RR6 on 360, although it's nothing special I still just love the feel of the game for a blat now n again

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 am

kiwimike wrote:. Has anyone got the 3DS RR? Was thinking of picking that up.

Have a look in my post earlier in the thread for my personal thoughts.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu May 02, 2013 7:43 am

Ridge Racer 3D is actually quite good. It's not as smooth as the lovely PSP version but it has the first decent external view of the series. Good selection of tracks too and lovely vibrant colours.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 am

Good to see a lot of love for Rage Racer! Think ill have to make some time for it over the bank holiday to go through it again.

As a side note it also had really classy cover art, compared to the usual garish design of ps1 box art of the time.

trickytree

Post by trickytree » Thu May 02, 2013 10:24 am

adippm82 wrote: Ridge Racer 7, if you have played six, then you have pretty much played this too, just a couple of extra tracks and cars.
Except it runs at full 1080p - quite an achievement back in 2006, still not matched by any other console racer*, and a perfect match for Ridge Racer's arcade feel.

RR7 and PSP RR2 would be my favourites in the series, although I'm still fond of the original PS1 version.

* GT5 is 1280x1080, and Wipeout HD uses a dynamic 1080p resolution, so neither run constantly at 1920x1080.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu May 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Wipeout has to use dynamic resolution because something actually happens during a race!

Joey wrote:Good to see a lot of love for Rage Racer! Think ill have to make some time for it over the bank holiday to go through it again.

As a side note it also had really classy cover art, compared to the usual garish design of ps1 box art of the time.
Playing Rage earlier this year. Still utterly sublime to play with a brilliant structure. Managed to finish all of the GP's going the correct way around the track. The main issue with the game is the terrible drifting sound.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 pm

The first Ridge Racer, my local arcade got one in on release, wow stunning graphics for a 1994 arcade game (well 93 in Japan), great arcade game, though pales as a console game as you miss out on the whole feel without a wheel and pedals.

Lettuce

Post by Lettuce » Thu May 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Loved the Music in Rage Racer, R2 R2 R2 R2.......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxBTTSnn ... FB&index=5

This game always reminds me of summer

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 pm

"Real racing roots '99 in...Helter Skelter!!!" Type 4 was the only one I really invested a lot of time in, really enjoyed it and it was a welcome tonic to Gran Turismo. Have whichever one is on the Ps3 and it's fine, doesn't really do it for me.
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 am

adippm82 wrote:
kiwimike wrote:. Has anyone got the 3DS RR? Was thinking of picking that up.

Have a look in my post earlier in the thread for my personal thoughts.
Guess I should read with my eyes open :oops: Thanks guys, sounds good, will look out for it, seen one or two going quite cheap locally

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:12 am

As I was a heavy Sega nut back in the day, I only had a Saturn, as I was too much into Sega Rally, Daytona, and Scud Race to care about any other racers. However, when my brother borrowed his mates PS1, Ridge Racer and Rage Racer were among the pile of games to play, and I fondly remember playing Rage Racer alot more.

I can still rememer clear as day , the first track as you go over the gravelly hill at the start of the race.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri May 03, 2013 4:57 am

AmigaJay wrote:The first Ridge Racer, my local arcade got one in on release, wow stunning graphics for a 1994 arcade game (well 93 in Japan), great arcade game, though pales as a console game as you miss out on the whole feel without a wheel and pedals.
Unless you buy a steering wheel with pedals.

trickytree

Post by trickytree » Fri May 03, 2013 6:56 am

nakamura wrote:Wipeout has to use dynamic resolution because something actually happens during a race!
Hey, sometimes in RR7 a plane flies overhead... :D

Also vehicular combat wasn't great in Ridge Racer - isn't that right, Unbounded?

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:00 pm

8bitwarrior wrote:The original Ridge Racer is my favourite, perhaps for rose tinted spec reasons and being the first PSX game I owned on launch... 8)

Ridge Racer 4 is surprisingly good, if a little easy. Rage Racer is probably the most balanced game of the series

Original was my favourite too on the PS1.

Big fan of Rage Racer too.

I didn't mind Ridge Racer 5.

PSP versions were very good.

And 7 on the PS3, is a very good game.

Who ever signed off the PS Vita version, should shuffled into a field and shot .