The Ridge Racer series

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Joey

The Ridge Racer series

Post by Joey » Wed May 01, 2013 1:52 pm

I remember seeing the original game for the first time at the American Adventure theme park. It was the big sit down cab with the clutch pedal.

The one I haven't played and cant comment on is the vita version but it doesn't seem like I'm missing out there!

What is your favourite and least favourite of the series, your favourite track, car and ost maybe?

For me the best game is Rage Racer. It has the best soundtrack, a proper progression/upgrade system and car models that are based on real cars. It's probably one of my most played PS1 games ever and mastering those tracks was so much fun. The only downside to the game is the terrible collision where one small touch of another car/barrier brought your car to a grinding halt. It certainly made you have to work to perfect your races though!

My least fave of the series is RR V. Just a bit dull, uninspiring and a poor soundtrack. I felt it was the start of its downhill spiral.

Special mention goes to the PSP games. They were pretty much the 'Greatest Hits' throwing in all the old cars and tracks and looking great running at 60fps!

DoraemonTheCat

Re: The Ridge Racer series

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed May 01, 2013 2:09 pm

My fave in order :

Rage Racer
Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer Revolution - There is just a "summer feel" to this game
Ridge Racer Type 4
Ridge Racer V

First time I saw the original Ridge Racer was at a Six Flags arcade. It was the deluxe version with the Mazda Miata/MX5 that you sit in. Stunning sound and very beautiful looking graphics.

I played Rage Racer to death, so much so that it broke my PS (least I think that's what it was.

Found the PS2 game Ridge Racer V to be a very dull game, worst in the series that I have played. Had lofty expectations for a PS2 RR game. And was sadly let down.

Wonder if we will see another Ridge Racer game.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed May 01, 2013 2:13 pm

i've only really played rage racer but i can't explain why since i really enjoy it and have completed it multiple times,there was a thread where (iirc) most if not all people were saying that they always play it using drift but for me grip is easily the fastest and easiest way to play it.RRT4 is one of the games i keep meaning to give a serious go at but can't seem to build up the enthusiasm.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed May 01, 2013 2:14 pm

Ridge Racer Type 4 is the one that I played the most (can't remember how far I got) & I've now got it on my Vita for a blast some time in the future. From what I've played of it, the 3DS one is also pretty good.

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed May 01, 2013 3:12 pm

I haven't played a Ridge Racer I don't like, though Ridge Racer 2 on the PSP would be my first choice for the 'greatest hits' reasons already mentioned. I quite liked Ridge Racer V - fond memories of it being one of my first PS2 games, and I got a few months out of it before Gran Turismo 3 swaggered into Electronics Boutique. Samurai Rocket might be my favourite RR tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2M2Mt8wxK8

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 01, 2013 3:21 pm

Morkin wrote:Ridge Racer Type 4 is the one that I played the most (can't remember how far I got) & I've now got it on my Vita for a blast some time in the future. From what I've played of it, the 3DS one is also pretty good.
Ridge Racer Type 4 is my favourite too. It's the only one I liked enough to finish.
DoraemonTheCat wrote:Found the PS2 game Ridge Racer V to be a very dull game, worst in the series that I have played. Had lofty expectations for a PS2 RR game. And was sadly let down.
Yeah, I'm not sure what it is about RRV, it is really dull. A massive let down after RRT4. Maybe I was because I discovered Gran Turismo between the two, I dunno.

RR6 on the 360 is pretty crap, even worse than RRV.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed May 01, 2013 3:22 pm

forgot to add favourite tune in rage racer is mathemabeat and favourite track is course 2 forward.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

tux

Post by tux » Wed May 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Pre-ordered a PS1 and Ridge racer for a treat back in the 90s. I have never been so stunned by a home video game before or since on viewing for the first time. The jump for 16bit seem so gigantic it was hard to comprehend. For that moment alone, the orginal Ridge on ps1 will never be toppled for me.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Well let's see now, one of my favourite series, that I tend to buy most of on sight, Great games, bought the first one, and a PS1 the second I saw them running together, ridiculously shallow, but so much fun, cannot think how many times I went round those two tracks.

Revolution was more of the same, but still had that one more go feeling to it, and it was a step up visually.

Rage Racer is also my favourite, ridiculous speed, tricky courses, and as mentioned before, real progression in the cars.

Ridge Racer Type 4, also excellent, exhilarating to play, some nice long tracks, but for some reason the commentator really grated on this one.

Ridge Racer 5, probably the weakest, just not very exciting, the early tracks for sure are just dull, easy, and thanks to an awful PAL conversion, bordered, squashed graphics, even the boss cars are easy to beat.

Ridge Racer 6, somewhat of a return to form, the achievements added a lot to the proceedings, looked OK, and the variety of tracks was welcome.

Ridge Racer 7, if you have played six, then you have pretty much played this too, just a couple of extra tracks and cars.

Ridge Racer 64, I liked this an awful lot, the fuzzy graphics move at a fair old lick, it controls well, and has some very complex tracks.

Ridge Racer DS, about the best that could be expected from the machine, just do not try it with the touch screen controls, they are a total disaster.

Ridge Racer PSP, In my opinion one of the best, if not the best portable racer there is, just a tonne of tracks and cars and classes to work through, looks amazing, cannot play it with the analogue nub though.

Ridge racer 2 PSP, a pretty big con if you have the first one, it is more or less the same game with a couple of extra tracks, although go for this one if you have not played that.

Ridge Racer 3DS, to my eyes the 3D is brilliant and really adds to the game as, the scenery falls away spectacularly at times, and it has all the classes and content of the PSP games and the PS360 games too.

Ridge Racer PS Vita, Initially a complete bare bones experience with almost no cars or tracks, and virtually no single player game, the multiplayer is flawed in that if you have not played it from the beginning, it is almost impossible to catch up with more experienced players.
Luckily though, a new download version appeared for £19.99 with all the tracks and cars included, which has made it at least for me just as compulsive as ever, upgrading the cars, and just generally bombing round as fast as possible, has enough of the Ridge Racer appeal to make it worthwhile.

Not tried Unbound, tempted at £9.99 on Zavvi, but have yet to bite.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed May 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Type 4 is the one I remember most fondly, one of the first games I played on the PS1 and I found it to be fantastic. Loved the Out of Blue track! RR5 wasn't bad but it was more a showcase of the PS2 capabilities than an improvement in terms of gaming... RR6 very good again, looked and played very well, with RR7 not succeeding in improving much over RR6.

Like the series, not much the music overall, I prefer to listen to something else while playing RR.

Unbound is a good game, only it's got very little in common with the rest of the RR games.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed May 01, 2013 6:27 pm

All about Ridge Racer V. I love the graphics as the lighting is stunning and the frame rate is smooth. Love the tracks, audio and variety in the cars too. It's kept me playing for 13 years now and I still adore it.

Rage Racer gets a special mention too. Still utterly fantastic and the upgrades were great. Very challenging and forces manual gears which is a far cry from the hand holding of today.

Ridge is also still awesome and I love putting the portable games on for fun.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed May 01, 2013 6:34 pm

I played the demo of Rage Racer to death back in the day. But, RRT4 is by far, to me, the pinnacle of the series. Lots of courses, loads of cars, it's what dual analogue was made for. Although, I do like going back to the original RR just for nostalgia and the fact it's the most fun you can have going around two tracks.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

8bitwarrior

Post by 8bitwarrior » Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 pm

The original Ridge Racer is my favourite, perhaps for rose tinted spec reasons and being the first PSX game I owned on launch... 8)

Ridge Racer 4 is surprisingly good, if a little easy. Rage Racer is probably the most balanced game of the series

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed May 01, 2013 8:11 pm

The Ridge Racer game I recall having played the most was Rage Racer.

A stunning game for its time and the subsequently released Ridge Racer Type IV just felt so soulless to me in comparison... albeit that the improved version of Ridge Racer with its 60 fps fame rate that came supplied with it was extremely pleasing. I tried playing Rage Racer again a year or two ago but it seemed to have aged quite badly... but such a thing is hardly unusual for PS1 polygon-based games.

I put a good number of hours into the PSP version and the one that formed part of the PS3's launch lineup here. In more recent times I've also picked up Ridge Racer Unbounded on PC which, while far from being a traditional Ridge Racer game, is still fun to play, imo.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed May 01, 2013 10:13 pm

I've only played Rage Racer, Ridge 4 and Ridge 5

I found Rage Racer ridiculously difficult after a certain point. I tried and tried but i couldn't understand how the drifting worked. Every single time i attempted it i either went flying into a wall or slid around for so long that by the time i regained control, i'd practically come to a halt. I read the manual and even asked for advice on here and nothing seemed to work! Grip turning is out of the question as by the time you reach rank 5 the cars go too fast to let you slow down without giving up your position. And the awful collisions too. :evil: I might just suck at racers (most likely).

Really enjoyed Ridge 4. It was a lot easier than Rage (maybe a little too easy), i preferred the courses, it looks great and the music is pretty sweet too. I had no problem performing a drifts or grip turns either.

Only briefly played Ridge 5 but it felt dodgy. I messed about in the control options but couldn't find an option that felt right. I tried it with my negcon a few times but after a few courses in i didn't feel very inspired.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!