Do you collect magazines/ have a magazine collection?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DreamcastRIP

Re: Do you collect magazines/ have a magazine collection?

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 pm

The Laird wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Syntesis wrote:... they always overrated UK made games.
Really?

I recall EDGE's notorious 4/10 review for Alien vs Predator (Jag) and that game was made by a UK developer.

Source: http://www.edge-online.com/review/alien ... or-review/
Then showed their usual hypocrisy by raving about it in the later "making of" feature
Indeed. :?

I've not read EDGE magazine for some years. I do recall it often been said that EDGE had an inherent bias against Saturn (true or not, idk) but I've not heard of what Syntesis is claiming. Seems like a gross exaggeration on his part. Maybe I'm wrong but from the review quoted it's evident that EDGE did not 'always overrate UK made games'.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 pm

No intention of collecting magazines until I get a place of my own, with enough space for a mighty big bookshelf to put them in. As it stands, my "collection" of NGamer and Retro Gamer mags sit on a pretty big pile on the floor... T.T
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:56 pm

The Laird wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Syntesis wrote:... they always overrated UK made games.
Really?

I recall EDGE's notorious 4/10 review for Alien vs Predator (Jag) and that game was made by a UK developer.

Source: http://www.edge-online.com/review/alien ... or-review/
Then showed their usual hypocrisy by raving about it in the later "making of" feature
Sing it brother!! Edge had it in the neck for the 3DO, Jag and CD32.

Yet, I loved Edge, and simultaneously hated it. (For either agreeing with me or not)

But then, yes, they had f**ktard moments, where they defied logic, fed conspiracies and talked crap. The Need For Speed 3DO review is one, their Raiden DX review another. They just talked carp. They just... (RANT!)

Edge 1 to 36 in my honest opinion was Edge at their best. After that, just a bunch of people who couldn't code, design, develop but still wannabes, made a suck-up magazine only interesting to the industry. And, of cause, people with degree's in English Lit. Modern Edge magazine clearly spends hours trawling the dictionary for words that could be related to games, yet at the same time, mean f**k all, and then put them in a game reviews. Edge was (is?) the most pretentious written crap of all. Reading it is horrific. It is psychologically painful. Edge put me off reading. It's just written by language nazi tw*ts. Horrific, BA Eng Lang, tw*ts. Today I hate Edge with a venom. (does it show?)

As for other magazines? I had not 1, not 2, but 3 complete complete collections of the 3DO Magazine.

I also have issues 1 - 24 of Official Playstation Magazine.

All of which i actually enjoy thumbing through today :)

dste

Post by dste » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Complete collection of Super Play
Two issues each of Total and Dreamcast magazine
The issues of Nintendo Gamer from re-launch to closure

Would like to pick up the Total collection but don't have the space or need at the moment.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 pm

will2097 wrote:... Edge put me off reading.
Too funny! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Wed May 01, 2013 9:07 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: I've not read EDGE magazine for some years. I do recall it often been said that EDGE had an inherent bias against Saturn (true or not, idk) but I've not heard of what Syntesis is claiming. Seems like a gross exaggeration on his part. Maybe I'm wrong but from the review quoted it's evident that EDGE did not 'always overrate UK made games'.
Her part.

And IMO they did just that with their constant championing of boring Rare, Molyneux and Codemasters games that I personally don't care for. As cute as it was, I don't think Little Big Planet was a 10 either. Again, just my opinion.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Syntesis wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: I've not read EDGE magazine for some years. I do recall it often been said that EDGE had an inherent bias against Saturn (true or not, idk) but I've not heard of what Syntesis is claiming. Seems like a gross exaggeration on his part. Maybe I'm wrong but from the review quoted it's evident that EDGE did not 'always overrate UK made games'.
Her part.
Apologies for assuming you were male! :oops:
And IMO they did just that with their constant championing of boring Rare, Molyneux and Codemasters games that I personally don't care for. As cute as it was, I don't think Little Big Planet was a 10 either. Again, just my opinion.
So in your opinion EDGE magazine has overrated some UK made games. Fair enough.

I agree with you in thinking that LittleBigPlanet wasn't worthy of a 10/10 review score but I couldn't comment on their supposed championing of Peter Molyneux and I think it's rather harsh of you to characterise Rare Ltd as being "boring"... but as I've not read the articles concerned maybe the company did come across that way in how EDGE covered them, i.e. I thought the company seemed quite interesting when covered in RG (or maybe it was gamesTM) not so long ago.

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Wed May 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Retro Gamer for the moment, I used to collect Games tm but that has stopped ages ago.
I've collected The Games Machine, the Italian version, but threw away most of the mags.
I've got a few Edge mags, and have the first 10 numbers and some mixed issues.
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:47 pm

I have a complete Retrogamer set of mags, all twelve issues of the excellent Raze, which I liked as it really championed the Lynx, every issue of CVG from November 1992 until it finished.

Got rid of a good few Nintendo Force, and Mean Machines.

I also used to have a complete Crash collection, now I only have seven left, as I had to store them in three huge boxes, wrapped in plastic outside in the garage, unfortunately I did not keep a close enough eye on them, the garage roof started to leak, some mice ate the plastic, water got in and ruined all but those at the very bottom, for good measure the mice used them as a toilet, and bedding material, had to burn almost the entire lot as a biohazard!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:44 am

The Laird wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I recall EDGE's notorious 4/10 review for Alien vs Predator (Jag) and that game was made by a UK developer.
Is it hypocrisy to revise an earlier opinion?

They put faith in a reviewer who got it wrong.

I don't so much have a mag collection as a 30 year accrual. Some have been binned in recent years (Edge and Gamestm) being among those.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu May 02, 2013 7:27 am

I love looking through old Games mags. It really gets the nostalgia flowing. :)

I have a complete Retro Gamer collection, nearly all PC Zones upto the end of the Dennis Publishing era (basically the good stuff), quite a few The One Amiga mags and a splattering of Crash and YS mags.

In my opinion PC Zone before Future took over was the funniest games mag ever (David 'Macca' McCandless, Charlie Brooker, Mr Cursor, Culky etc. etc.)

Ta,
Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu May 02, 2013 7:45 am

not really a collection but i enjoy reading sega saturn magazine and 1994\1997 era c&vg
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 am

I've got a few....

RG - complete collection

GamesTM - last five years complete

Bizarre - issues 1 - 100

Fortean Times - every issue back to 1992, plus assorted older issues

SciFi Now - complete collection

Record Collector - last three years, plus about fifty random issues

BBC History - last six years complete

International DJ - the three issues I starred in :lol:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu May 02, 2013 9:21 am

theantmeister wrote:I still have the tatty old Game Zones from when I was in high school. They're a great read and not just because of the nostalgia. No games mag has made me laugh as much as Game Zone did. I miss that.
Agreed with that, especially the Twilight Zone section :D

If we're talking non-games magazines as well...

Fortean Times - Nearly every issue since 2002, and a few dozen from before then (got the book collecting the first five issues for Xmas)
Spine Chiller - Every last one of them, all sixty!
Viz (more of a comic than a magazine, but still) - Almost every one of them going back to 1999, and again, maybe a few dozen from before then (the annuals collect most of the stuff)
Crikey! - Think I'm two or three away from the full set.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu May 02, 2013 10:16 am

Aside from a bulk lot of Edge mags I bought on an online auction, I have the majority of RG mags now. In terms of game collecting, this is about my limit now.

I would love to collect the original US mag Electronic games if I could, but sadly it goes for nutty prices on ebay, especially international freight charges. I've only got a couple of issues. Luckily you can read them online nowadays, and print them out if you want.