Do you collect magazines/ have a magazine collection?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

GigaPepsiMan

Do you collect magazines/ have a magazine collection?

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 am

Because having a collection and being a collector are different things.

Anyway I've gotten my hands on a lot of old games magazines this year. I've bought most of the Official Nintendo issues from 2001-2006 and I own every issue of NGC bar one. I've also recently been given the first 64 issues of GamesTM. I really like games magazines because they have that appeal where you can open an issue anywhere at any time and enjoy it, a lot of the games covered in the issues I'm glad to have read about instead of playing because time is limited and I'm tired of wasting my time trying to complete games for the sake of completion.
Also in the case of old magazines it is fun to look back and see the writers get predictions wrong and it is also interesting to look at the things that never were (canceled games, deals that fell through etc).

So who else here enjoys old magazines or likes to collect the magazines?

Morkin

Re: Do you collect magazines/ have a magazine collection?

Post by Morkin » Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 am

I used to have complete collections of N64/NGamer, Arcade, Total Control, Edge & Games tm. However, I ran out of room so they all had to go. :(

I'm now left with Retro Gamer (issues 1-present) & a handful of Crash & YS. And to be honest, when I did get rid of the back issues, it was a weight off my mind!

When I buy the new issues of Games tm & Edge, they're only allowed into the house if the previous issue has gone in the bin. :lol:

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:02 am

I've collected quite a few over the years... although I'm currently in the process of ripping some up and scanning the pages I want to keep (e.g. reviews, well written articles etc) as I'm running out of room.

However, I've kept the following:

Amstrad Action (near complete)
Games X (complete)
Official Playstation Magazine (PS1 era only - near complete)
Retro Gamer (complete)
Super Play/N64/NGC/NGamer (complete)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed May 01, 2013 11:30 am

They're definitely a lot of fun to read through... I wouldn't say I actively "collect" them but have somehow managed to get nearly all of Sega Power's 1994-1995 era of hilarious apathy.

Wouldn't mind getting more of CVG from the 1996-1999 era too, and I get Sega Pro issues whenever I see them.

Haven't got any full sets besides Retro Gamer (Imagine-onwards).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed May 01, 2013 12:24 pm

I don't have full sets of anything (apart from SFX, which isn't a game mag), but I have Zzap!64 from (I think) issue 2 until about March '88 (the golden years of Zzap, I would say), when my subscription ended (I got an Amiga in '87).

I have a lot of Amiga Actions (possibly all but a few), and The One Amiga, CU Amiga, Amiga Format, and then random ones like The Games Machine, CVG, and a few very early ones like THESE.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed May 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Morkin wrote:I used to have complete collections of N64/NGamer, Arcade, Total Control, Edge & Games tm. However, I ran out of room so they all had to go. :(

I'm now left with Retro Gamer (issues 1-present) & a handful of Crash & YS. And to be honest, when I did get rid of the back issues, it was a weight off my mind!

When I buy the new issues of Games tm & Edge, they're only allowed into the house if the previous issue has gone in the bin. :lol:
Why oh why would you have a complete collection of EDGE!?

It's written by the most pretentious, egotistical bunch of Mark Kermode wannabes.......making it a very hard read.

In fairness, some of their features are quite well written. But it's just the writers and their self-importance and smarminess that I really don't like. At times if feels as though it is written by a bunch of nerds from Yale University.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Well I started buying it years & years ago & sort of couldn't stop. And I've always liked their 'making of' & Time Extend features, plus getting very cheap subscriptions along the way.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed May 01, 2013 1:24 pm

Yep I do, thankfully I have completed my collection (as you found out when you got all the Nintendos :wink: )

Full runs from start to end of:
Super Play
CVG
Nintendo (NMS/NOM)
Mean Machines
Total!
Retro Gamer

Plus some bundles of EGM and another American mag that I think is still running, my issues are from the early 90's snes era.

Plus random bookazines.

Very much the cream for the Snes era is what I have collected, but CVG the NOMs cover all other periods I am interested in too.

They take up an insane amount of space, still have around 100 PS1/N64 mags I need to get rid of in my hall.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed May 01, 2013 5:16 pm

I have
Super Play near complete run missing issue's 45 - 47
Commodore User 1985 - 87 the Commodore 16 years
Game Zone did have a complete run gave half toTtwoheadedboy, give him the rest when I see him
Mean Machines missing issue's have 3copies of the Paradious issue for some reason
C+VG a lot from 1982 to 1989 then the 1996 to 1999 era before they got crap and become FHM with Nurse Tips
Zzap again mostly later issue's gave my earlier issues 1 - 40 to Vulture
Maximum complete run will 6 issue's
Also have Sega Force Sega Pro, Sega Power, Complete guide to consoles, Club Nintendo Commodore Format, Total, Game Zone(Dave Perry the Games Animal who fails on Mario 64 "I don't play import games") Gameboy Magazine, Sonic the Comic and and some old Your Computer, Sinclair User and Crash among other lose issues of oher mags
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:21 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:Why oh why would you have a complete collection of EDGE!?

It's written by the most pretentious, egotistical bunch of Mark Kermode wannabes.......making it a very hard read.

In fairness, some of their features are quite well written. But it's just the writers and their self-importance and smarminess that I really don't like. At times if feels as though it is written by a bunch of nerds from Yale University.
Edge used to be good. It was a refreshing change of pace to have a grown up games mag with serious articles about the industry and behind the scenes. Now its become a mag for the industry rather than for gamers.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 01, 2013 7:31 pm

I still have the tatty old Game Zones from when I was in high school. They're a great read and not just because of the nostalgia. No games mag has made me laugh as much as Game Zone did. I miss that.

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Wed May 01, 2013 8:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
DoraemonTheCat wrote:Why oh why would you have a complete collection of EDGE!?

Edge used to be good. It was a refreshing change of pace to have a grown up games mag with serious articles about the industry and behind the scenes. Now its become a mag for the industry rather than for gamers.
Well said. For the first 5 or so years Edge was fantastic; they were getting the interviews other magazines could only dream of and the coverage of the new 90s systems was amazingly in-depth. Now with the internet we get leaked information all the time and frankly the new systems don't have the same mystique and wonder to them so Edge has outlived its usefulness. It lives on as a dry industry cheerleader mag. People put their reviews on a pedestal but they were never really that good and they always overrated UK made games.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed May 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Syntesis wrote:... they always overrated UK made games.
Really?

I recall EDGE's notorious 4/10 review for Alien vs Predator (Jag) and that game was made by a UK developer.

Source: http://www.edge-online.com/review/alien ... or-review/
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Did have a large collection of first and last issues of mags, esp Amiga mags and all of the Mean Machines issues.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed May 01, 2013 8:21 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Syntesis wrote:... they always overrated UK made games.
Really?

I recall EDGE's notorious 4/10 review for Alien vs Predator (Jag) and that game was made by a UK developer.

Source: http://www.edge-online.com/review/alien ... or-review/
Then showed their usual hypocrisy by raving about it in the later "making of" feature