Shinobi!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
Grizzly
Posts: 2465
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: Shinobi!

Post by Grizzly » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Grizzly wrote:I love the shinobi games. Revenge being the highlight of course, the 3DS game isn't bad either!

3DS you say? As a new XL owner I'm on the prowl for 3DS titles! :lol:

Lots of fond memories of Shinobi. Really enjoyed the MS game but truely hit its straps with most peoples fave Revenge of. A superb platformer
Yeah! The best part is is that it can be found for £4.99 from your local GAME store. It's not the best game by any stretch but it pushes some of the right buttons and is enjoyable for the most part. I love the sega references throughout the game as well.
I write for...
Image
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

thl
Posts: 4427
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:52 am

Re: Shinobi!

Post by thl » Sun May 05, 2013 11:24 pm

RUOK wrote:Anyone else have this problem? Anyone got any tips?

Image
See this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LalVrNUPHJ0

User avatar
RUOK
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 am

Re: Shinobi!

Post by RUOK » Mon May 06, 2013 7:15 am

^ I'm going to crack that boss and this game today! I've also just bought Cyber Shinobi, I know it's not the best in the series but I really enjoyed it as a kid so I'm going to have a good play through. I'm glad to see this series is kicking more ass than just mine! Full respect to anyone that can 1CC the arcade version Mootown...

What's the 3DS version like? It looks more Devil May Cry than traditional Shinobi gameplay?

The Game Gear version is awesome greenberet, I love the Megaman type format, the game still kicks my arse though.

User avatar
Grizzly
Posts: 2465
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: Shinobi!

Post by Grizzly » Mon May 06, 2013 4:23 pm

RUOK wrote:^ I'm going to crack that boss and this game today! I've also just bought Cyber Shinobi, I know it's not the best in the series but I really enjoyed it as a kid so I'm going to have a good play through. I'm glad to see this series is kicking more ass than just mine! Full respect to anyone that can 1CC the arcade version Mootown...

What's the 3DS version like? It looks more Devil May Cry than traditional Shinobi gameplay?

The Game Gear version is awesome greenberet, I love the Megaman type format, the game still kicks my arse though.
The 3DS game is a 2D side scroller like the originals, it's quite a decent throwback.
I write for...
Image
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

User avatar
RUOK
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 am

Re: Shinobi!

Post by RUOK » Tue May 07, 2013 11:39 am

Oh I've totally missed that then, I'm going to check it out. I loaded up the CPC464 version last night, what a superb conversion it is, super smooth scrolling and really tight controls

llj
Posts: 542
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Shinobi!

Post by llj » Wed May 08, 2013 3:48 pm

thl wrote:
RUOK wrote:Anyone else have this problem? Anyone got any tips?

Image
See this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LalVrNUPHJ0
If you're playing this on the old master system controller, then there is no easy way to beat him. I've done it way back in the day, but the master system controller isn't the greatest when it comes to rapid fire button mashing. Plus Master System Joe shoots quite a bit slower than his arcade counterpart.

You simply got to mash until you get to the last column or so. Then you have to do a bit of jumping and shooting at the same time so that you don't get caught at the end by the final statue.

User avatar
imaxeroker85
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:46 am
Location: Australia

Re: Shinobi!

Post by imaxeroker85 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:31 am

Played Shinobi tonight on my New/Old Master System II. Classic, The music and SFX just took me back. I could not imagine playing it on any other system again
Image

kiwimike
Posts: 3581
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Shinobi!

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Grizzly wrote:
RUOK wrote:^ I'm going to crack that boss and this game today! I've also just bought Cyber Shinobi, I know it's not the best in the series but I really enjoyed it as a kid so I'm going to have a good play through. I'm glad to see this series is kicking more ass than just mine! Full respect to anyone that can 1CC the arcade version Mootown...

What's the 3DS version like? It looks more Devil May Cry than traditional Shinobi gameplay?

The Game Gear version is awesome greenberet, I love the Megaman type format, the game still kicks my arse though.
The 3DS game is a 2D side scroller like the originals, it's quite a decent throwback.
It's actually came up on a local online one day sale, so I might take a punt and see what it's like!

User avatar
RUOK
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 am

Re: Shinobi!

Post by RUOK » Sun May 12, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to nail Mandara tonight with a turbo MD pad :) This master system version is just ace

User avatar
famicom69
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: South Wales UK

Re: Shinobi!

Post by famicom69 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Shinobi 3 will always be my favourite. Amazing backdrops, punchy music and solid gameplay on the mega drive. Absolutely glorious.

Anybody played the PS2 game lately? I owned it at one point but it didn't really grab me. I always assumed it was a weak entry, it's been getting a lot of praise on other forums as of late. Maybe it was lost to time due to Ninja Gaiden Black being superb.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7471
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Shinobi!

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 19, 2013 3:02 pm

famicom69 wrote:Shinobi 3 will always be my favourite. Amazing backdrops, punchy music and solid gameplay on the mega drive. Absolutely glorious.

Anybody played the PS2 game lately? I owned it at one point but it didn't really grab me. I always assumed it was a weak entry, it's been getting a lot of praise on other forums as of late. Maybe it was lost to time due to Ninja Gaiden Black being superb.
Its good just impossibly hard to the point of being unplayable! The main problem I have the sword drains your life so your forced to keep killing people, coiupled with some bosses that kill you in one hit... I got to a Blind guy you fight in a sewer who hears you when you hit the water and 1 hit kills you, coupled with when you stay on the wall these robots attack you.. What you had to do was chain kill 7 - 8 Robots so the sword would take the Blind Guys energy down by half; to me that's just not fun.. I did manage to 1 hit kill the old man with the dogs, after that getting infuriating boss like a Spider with a cats Head, and a moth/Butterfly woman.. I ending up throwing the pad on the floor and stamping on it then snapping the disc.. Nightshade/Kunochi is better as its far easier but quite bad camera angels from what I remember
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests