Best 3-4 Multiplayer Games on any platform?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Matt_B

Re: Best 3-4 Multiplayer Games on any platform?

Post by Matt_B » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:49 pm

Chaos on the Spectrum. It's great for up to 8 players.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:49 pm

Virtua Tennis (DC) with three friends, pizza and a crate of beer. Job done!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

doc_eggfan

Post by doc_eggfan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Guilty Gear Isuka (Atomiswave and PS2).

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:38 am

Snowboard Kids.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:18 am

Gamecube: All of these are upto 4 players...

Mario Kart Double Dash. You can have 4 individual racers, or 2 teams of 2, it's easily one of the best Mario Karts.

Super Mario Strikers. I'm not one for football games, but this one is a blast with 4 players.

Wario Ware Inc Party games, fast, weird and fun.

Rampage - Total Destruction Straight forward, head to head smash em up.

Super Smash Bros Brawl Utter chaos, but great fun.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:44 am

Some great titles have been mentioned here already, here's my two penneth

General Chaos on the MD is awesome but you'll need a multi-tap as it's not a J-Cart. For more J-Cart goodness on the MD try Pete Sampras Tennis I really like it

In the same vain Hogs of War on the PS is a really fun Worms type game with the voice of Rick Mayall which adds some good humor. You'll be able to pick it up for around £10 from eBay

It's nice to see someone enthusiastic about offline retro gaming :)

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:51 am

rightsidebrain wrote: Yeah, someone else mentioned Monkey Ball. I've never actually played it, but I just looked at a couple of videos on YouTube and it looks classic! As does "Mario Party", although I gather there are quite a few of them? Is there one version you'd recommend in particular?

I actually used to really like "Fusion Frenzy" on the XBOX for multiplayer action. Aside from "Mario Party", are there any other games like that which are chock full of mini games?
Warioware has about 200 minigames, though they are mini, however there are several multiplayer game modes which give you different ways to play them. Also the randomness and wacky sense of humour makes the game a great laugh. Plus many of the mini games have a retro vibe to them.

Of the Monkeyballs I'd suggest Super Monkey Ball 2 as it has more minigames, some of the mini games are so good they could have been games in their own right, such as the golf, pool, and tennis.

Mario Party 2 is often regarded as the best Mario Party, picking it up on the Wiis Virtual console might be the best option, as some of the mini games might wear your N64 analogue sticks. Alternatively get either Mario Party 4 or 5 for the Gamecube, it really doesn't matter a great deal which, they do play slightly differently but they're still essentially the same thing. You should be able to pick one up for no more than a tenner. Maybe just do a little research on them and pick whichever sounds best to you.

Monkeyball, Warioware (Gamecube) and a Mario Party are essential for hardcore multiplayer gamers, in my opinion.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

rightsidebrain

Post by rightsidebrain » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:02 am

pratty wrote:Monkeyball, Warioware (Gamecube) and a Mario Party are essential for hardcore multiplayer gamers, in my opinion.
These all look like winners to me!

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions, this little lot ought to keep us busy for the next 8 months!
RUOK wrote:It's nice to see someone enthusiastic about offline retro gaming :)
To be honest, I'm not really into online gaming. It's all about sitting around with three of your finest pals, chomping on pizza and giving them stick when you come first.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:20 am

rightsidebrain wrote:To be honest, I'm not really into online gaming. It's all about sitting around with three of your finest pals, chomping on pizza and giving them stick when you come first.
Cool, nothing gets the banter going quite like a Mario Party.
http://vg2caps.wordpress.com/2012/11/02 ... rio-party/
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:12 am

I'd second Virtua Tennis (or Virtua Tennis 2), some great matches to be had when you're playing with four people as doubles!

Also, I know you don't have a Dreamcast, but it would be worth picking one up with Chu Chu Rocket - it's the most insane four player game me and my friends ever played. We'd have to psych ourselves up for it and felt emotionally battered by the whole experience - but of course it was a hell of a lot of fun! :)

8bitwarrior

Post by 8bitwarrior » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:09 pm

sebadude wrote:I'd second Virtua Tennis (or Virtua Tennis 2), some great matches to be had when you're playing with four people as doubles!

Also, I know you don't have a Dreamcast, but it would be worth picking one up with Chu Chu Rocket - it's the most insane four player game me and my friends ever played. We'd have to psych ourselves up for it and felt emotionally battered by the whole experience - but of course it was a hell of a lot of fun! :)
Yep I concur about Chu Chu Rocket! Not to mention Micro Machines.

Nothing really beats sitting around the same computer with 4 friends!

thl

Post by thl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:19 pm

Bishi Bashi Special (PS1)
GoldenEye 007 (N64)
Super Bomberman (SNES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
X-Men (Arcade)

Plus you can have 2 vs 2 exhibition match in the Pro Evolution Soccer series.

davyK

Post by davyK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:22 pm

PS2 got a port of Virtua Tennis 2, Bombastic, Bomberman Hardball.

For Gamecube - Monkey Ball 1 or 2, F-Zero GX, Mario Party 4-7, Mario Golf, Mario Power Tennis, Mario Kart DD, Mario Smash Football (soccer), Pacman Vs (need a GBA and connect cable), SEGA Soccer Slam, Smash Bros Melee, Wario Ware Inc, (I know - an awful lot of "Mario" games - but they are really well made and are made for multi-player. If you can put up with the branding you will have a great time with them).

For N64 : Bust-a-Move 3DX has 4 player , so does New Tetris. Worms Armageddon (PC version is better of course - but this is quite good on N64 - no load times). F Zero X, Mario Tennis, Mario Party 1-3.

For SNES: Super Bomberman (think there are 4 of 'em but the 1st is probably the best), Smash Tennis, ISS Deluxe.

PS1 : Bishi Bashi Special, Devil Dice, International Track & Field.

Wii : Boom Blox (1 or 2), Ghost Squad, Let's Tap (Tap Runner is a riot!), Marbles Balance Challenge (aka Kororinpa 2), New SMB Wii, Tetris Party Deluxe, Wii Sports Resort, Worms Battle Island, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Party, Smash Bros Brawl, Boom Street aka Fortune Street(you all would need to be into board games and be prepared to play for a couple of hours though).

piginapoke

Post by piginapoke » Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 am

at Zzap Towers we played a number of multiplayer games in the lunch break but NOTHING caused more emotions and swearing and laughter than Slimeworld on the Lynx. when push comes to shove no one is your friend when youre playing Slimeworld. Cracking game :D
"An intruder has penetrated our forcefield"