"wii u dead already"

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

samhain81

Re: "wii u dead already"

Post by samhain81 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 am

A question:

Do you think that Nintendo ought to consider removing or discontinuing the shelving of new Wii's (maybe even preowned) in game stores now, to remove the consumer confusion of the Wii/Wii U in the run up to the Christmas sales? Or do you find this a risky move, as its probably their main Wii-based hardware revenue right now.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:28 am

samhain81 wrote:A question:

Do you think that Nintendo ought to consider removing or discontinuing the shelving of new Wii's (maybe even preowned) in game stores now, to remove the consumer confusion of the Wii/Wii U in the run up to the Christmas sales? Or do you find this a risky move, as its probably their main Wii-based hardware revenue right now.
I think Nintendo ahould should milk the Wii for all they can, once it dries up they can withdraw the Wii naturally.

This question though just shows the level of consumer ignorance, it mystifies me regardless of nintendo's marketing or lack of, that anyone can actually think the 3Ds is just a DS or a Wii U is just a Wii, do these people not have eyes?

I also wonder how much a part retailer staff's own opinions and biases play in Nintendo sales. Maybe someone goes into Game considering a Wii-U for their son after seeing a TV advert. Then the member of staff trying to be helpful says something like "the Wii-U's not much better than a PS3 or Xbox 360, and more expensive too. Plus there's more games for those consoles, and Nintendo don't make hardcore games anyway."
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:37 am

I don't think you can blame the customer for Nintys lack of clarity - if the public don't get it, the public don't get it and make it clearer until they do. Always cater for the lowest common denominator. Cater for the dumbass.

It was all very clear with Ninty in the past - Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advanced, NES, SNES.

Sony makes it very clear, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 - boring? yes... clear that one is a step forward from another, completely.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:48 am

slacey1070 wrote:I don't think you can blame the customer for Nintys lack of clarity - if the public don't get it, the public don't get it and make it clearer until they do. Always cater for the lowest common denominator. Cater for the dumbass.
Maybe you're right, but if so it's a sad state of affairs. For example the controllers of the Wii and Wii-U couldn't be more different.
slacey1070 wrote:It was all very clear with Ninty in the past - Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advanced, NES, SNES.

Sony makes it very clear, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 - boring? yes... clear that one is a step forward from another, completely.
But is the Wii to Wii-U and DS to 3DS really that different from Gameboy to Gameboy Colour, to Gameboy Advance? Couldn't somemake the mistake of thinking their all gameboys at the end of the day? Maybe they did.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:05 am

pratty wrote: This question though just shows the level of consumer ignorance, it mystifies me regardless of nintendo's marketing or lack of, that anyone can actually think the 3Ds is just a DS or a Wii U is just a Wii, do these people not have eyes?
Ignorance or not, its happening.

Roo

Post by Roo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:28 am

samhain81 wrote:
pratty wrote: This question though just shows the level of consumer ignorance, it mystifies me regardless of nintendo's marketing or lack of, that anyone can actually think the 3Ds is just a DS or a Wii U is just a Wii, do these people not have eyes?
Ignorance or not, its happening.
There's lots of reasons why the Wii U hasn't sold, but I don't think brand confusion is one of them. The advertising has been the pits - does Nintendo even have a marketing department in the UK? - but I doubt that by looking at it that anyone but the most technologically-oblivious would think it's just an extension of the Wii from 2006.

Here's a screen from the first Wii U advert that was broadcast on UK television:

In fairness, I've never seen this advert, and I don't know how many people did.

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Matt_B wrote:
However, let's be honest about F-Zero, Star Fox and Pilotwings. They're not hot properties any more, and haven't really been since the N64 days. The attempts to bring the latter two back on the 3DS weren't terribly successful.
Surely those three games are exactly what they should be releasing on the Wii U- All games that could make fantastic work of the gamepad. I understand why hardly any racing games were released for the Wii, but with the Wii U, surely racing/driving games and first person games such as Star Fox are the kind of games they should be making?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Nintendo generally take their time on big first party games to make sure they are top notch quality-wise but not having much of anything ready for launch means that we now have to wait a long time for the current projects to be finished. I really think that they need games but they can't make them fast enough without pumping out glitchy, low quality, generic software that doesn't deserve the Nintendo brand.

I really hope Nintendo doesn't go down the pan but I have to admit that it's far to easy to forget that the Wii-U even exists and that alone sums up the problem in a nutshell for me.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Megamixer wrote:Nintendo generally take their time on big first party games to make sure they are top notch quality-wise but not having much of anything ready for launch means that we now have to wait a long time for the current projects to be finished. I really think that they need games but they can't make them fast enough without pumping out glitchy, low quality, generic software that doesn't deserve the Nintendo brand.
Also they're fighting on two fronts, home console and handheld. It's easier for their conglomerate competitors to do this, so much so it's a good job by Nintendo that they're still in the game at all given their competitors resources.

Nintendo are making some great games, they just look a bit thinnly spead over two platforms. I wonder if staggering their hardware releases a bit more would help, maybe put 2 or even 3 years between new consoles and handhelds, and have a stronger period of concentration for each system to help get them off the ground.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:19 pm

pratty wrote:This question though just shows the level of consumer ignorance, it mystifies me regardless of nintendo's marketing or lack of, that anyone can actually think the 3Ds is just a DS or a Wii U is just a Wii, do these people not have eyes?
I 100% agree with you but believe me, it is a genuine problem. When I was buying 3DS games from Grainger Games a couple of years back round when the 3DS first launched, they asked me at the counter if I actually had a 3DS because people were buying 3DS games and assuming they could just play them on a normal DS without the 3D. Even earlier this year, I was in Crack Converters buying some cheap preowned games, and when I went to the counter with a copy of Kinect Sports, the guy asked me if I knew I needed to have Kinect to play it. When I told him I did, he said you wouldn't believe what some people are like, and that they have had people returning 3DS games because they wouldn't work on their old DSs. I can even remember one of my cousins saying she wasn't buying her son a 3DS a while back (he'd asked for one for Xmas) because she didn't think it was much different from the original DS he already had.

I don't know why this phenomenon only seems to affect Nintendo consoles though. Nobody seems to think (joking asides) that the Xbox One is a devolution of the Xbox 360 or anything, whatever other misgivings they might have about the console.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Well, it does sort of happen... A few years ago I was buying some Xbox games in GameStation, and the guy at the counter said "You know this won't work on a 360, right?".
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

William S

Post by William S » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:19 pm

A few months back, one of Norway's biggest retailers advertised the Wii U as a "Nintendo Wii".
Even the retailers are confused.
ImageImageImage

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:30 am

That is just stupid, how dumb do you have to be?!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:50 am

I just did a Nintendo survey (got 50 stars) and most of the questions were about why I haven't bought a wii U yet...
Was I confused about what it was at all? Did I realize it wasn't the same thing as a wii? Had my opinion of it become negative?
Also kinda asking why I didn't buy it on the strength of pikmin...

Anyway my main reason is cash and waiting on some of the other nintendo franchises to arrive... which is why I always buy a nintendo
console... i'm always guaranteed some really damn good games.

I think maybe one problem that I certainly have and contributes to my not buying a wii U is, I've barely scratched the surface
of whats already out there... Because theirs so much coming out, some of which has several hundred hours of gameplay...
And what with going through all the old retro stuff, homebrew and indie games... I could happily not see another console out
for the next ten years and still be playing trying to complete xenoblade or skrim or whatever...

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:12 am

Nintendo have dropped the ball with marketing as badly as consumers are stupid. It should have simply been called the Wii 2.

Regarding Star Fox, F-Zero and the like. Certainly not mega money makers but still have the potential to do a million each. Iirc Star Fox did over 800k on 3DS. Speaking as a fan of most of these franchises, I would purchase a machine if a couple of them would have been made for the system already.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)