Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:32 am

psj3809 wrote:Still love that original gameboy and those cartridges though! I remember going to Windsor once a month at lunchtime to buy a new Gameboy game for about i think £20-£25, blimey !
Looking at an old issue of CVG yesterday (1994), and new-release Game Gear games are £44.99 :shock:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:19 am

Matt_B wrote:The Vita might offer "the best of both worlds" but given its rather sluggish sales history, it has to be said that the market doesn't particularly appear to want that
I personally do not think it is the case the market does not want the best of both worlds that the Vita offers, the problem is the memory cards being not only ridiculously expensive, but mandatory, as virtually no games can be played without one, if Sony dropped the price of them or allowed 3rd party ones out, I think the sales would be much better, the machine is worth £200, but add another sixty for a decent sized memory card, and you are asking a lot of the consumer.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:48 am

adippm82 wrote:
Matt_B wrote:The Vita might offer "the best of both worlds" but given its rather sluggish sales history, it has to be said that the market doesn't particularly appear to want that
I personally do not think it is the case the market does not want the best of both worlds that the Vita offers, the problem is the memory cards being not only ridiculously expensive, but mandatory, as virtually no games can be played without one, if Sony dropped the price of them or allowed 3rd party ones out, I think the sales would be much better, the machine is worth £200, but add another sixty for a decent sized memory card, and you are asking a lot of the consumer.
I'd think that a price cut might help the Vita a bit, but let's be realistic. There have been less than 5 million of them sold, versus around 30 million for the 3DS, 500 million iOS devices and 750 million Android ones. Talk of turning the Vita around is now about its survival as a niche product, not a part of the mobile gaming mainstream; that's long passed it by.

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:01 am

adippm82 wrote:
Yep the cost of entry on a Vita is far too high. Until their 32GB card is under £30 and they put out a white one, I am not interested. Also they need to stop putting out the same games I can already play on my PS3.

Don't think I will be holding my breath but I hope they can turn it around. The PS4 integration looks pretty neat.

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Still love that original gameboy and those cartridges though! I remember going to Windsor once a month at lunchtime to buy a new Gameboy game for about i think £20-£25, blimey !
Looking at an old issue of CVG yesterday (1994), and new-release Game Gear games are £44.99 :shock:
I recently bought a load of original Game Boy games. Prices ranged from £1 to £3 per game. I'm glad I waited 20 years for the prices to drop :)
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:00 pm

nakamura wrote:The Vita is the only device that could deliver the best of both worlds. Both physical controls and touch gaming with a lovely screen.
This rather ignores the huge success of the DS range that's been running for years.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:20 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
nakamura wrote:The Vita is the only device that could deliver the best of both worlds. Both physical controls and touch gaming with a lovely screen.
This rather ignores the huge success of the DS range that's been running for years.
I think he meant touch without the stylus...

And in fairness the DS's physical controls are far from perfect

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Not at all. But the DS range has a very limited touch interface. The Vita is multi touch like tablets and phones.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:26 pm

pforson wrote:
nakamura wrote: Are you deliberately being ignorant?
How exactly am I being ignorant?
Beacause I have been saying that tablet devices are suitable for certain types of games but not others, you have been telling me I'm wrong and then saying exactly the same thing.

A great gaming device would be capable of ALL game types on the market. The Vita is one such device. The fact it's not really worth buying is not relevant to the capabilities of the machine.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:33 pm

nakamura wrote:
pforson wrote:
nakamura wrote: Are you deliberately being ignorant?
How exactly am I being ignorant?
Beacause I have been saying that tablet devices are suitable for certain types of games but not others, you have been telling me I'm wrong and then saying exactly the same thing.

A great gaming device would be capable of ALL game types on the market. The Vita is one such device. The fact it's not really worth buying is not relevant to the capabilities of the machine.
Unfortunately I wouldn't say that the Vita was a great touch screen device since it has all those protrusions jutting out from it. You couldn't really hold it like an iPhone or other dedicated touch screen device.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:57 pm

nakamura wrote: A great gaming device would be capable of ALL game types on the market. The Vita is one such device. The fact it's not really worth buying is not relevant to the capabilities of the machine.
Never heard the phrase 'jack of all trades, master of none' ?

What is the benefit of being the most capable device without the software to back it up?

Regardless, I've got nothing against the Vita, if it was smaller, had better battery life and most importantly had games available that I wanted to play then I would buy one.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:12 pm

pforson wrote:
nakamura wrote: A great gaming device would be capable of ALL game types on the market. The Vita is one such device. The fact it's not really worth buying is not relevant to the capabilities of the machine.
Indeed. Besides, PS Vita doesn't have a glasses-free 3D screen like 3DS does so nakamura's claim that Sony's product is "capable of ALL game types on the market" is patently false anyway.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
pforson wrote:
Indeed. Besides, PS Vita doesn't have a glasses-free 3D screen like 3DS does so nakamura's claim that Sony's product is "capable of ALL game types on the market" is patently false anyway.
3D is not a game type. It's a graphic style. The games are identical as you full well know.

Bloody nitpicking. :lol:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:20 pm

nakamura wrote:3D is not a game type. It's a graphic style. The games are identical as you full well know.

Bloody nitpicking. :lol:
I'll give you that one. :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 pm

I was just thinking . . . . .

Imagine STUN Runner on the 3DS :o