Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 pm

The Laird wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Never been able to get on with shooters on a touchscreen, mostly because if I move my ship/plane/whatever up the screen, then my hand's covering everything else up and I can't see where I'm going if I want to move back down the screen. Or am I "doing it wrong"?

A friend of mine showed me Sonic on her iPod as well, and that was another one I just couldn't get used to. Something to do with covering up parts of the screen just doesn't seem right - surely I can't be the only one who thinks that?
Nope, I totally agree mate.
Me too.. never played a touch screen game that I've really enjoyed.... Ok, I've limited experience, but the ones I've played,haven't inspired me to want to play more.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Its just taste, matching the right game to the right person then allowing some adjustment to the new method of play.

Initially with my DS I just couldn't get to grips with partial screen blocking. After a bit it became quite natural - when the game is right. Even now I find some games harder than they need to be (Gridrunner for example), but then comes something like Galaxy on Fire 2 that I've spent 15 hours with in the last couple of weeks commuting. Some games work with touch controls, some don't, but its something of a dark art. Its not specific to particular genres or control types, there's some sort of magic that gets into some games so they don't feel awkward.

Would I rather have buttons? In many cases yes. But a platform like DS or Vita that offers both really can't lose.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:08 pm

The Laird wrote:You seem to have trouble understanding my posts or maybe you just love to argue with me, judging recent evidence I would say its the latter.
I understand your posts. I just disagree with them.
The Laird wrote:Of course some games benefit from touch screen controls but they tend to be the more casual games.
Are you happy on your little high-horse, looking down on us plebs playing casual games?
The Laird wrote:But you already answered your own question and basically agreed with what I said anyway
How exactly did I agree with your statement that touch controls are rubbish compared to more traditional controls? - I tried to point out that they are not rubbish, only different and suited to different genres.

Ta,
Pete

Sent from my iPad
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:14 pm

nakamura wrote: I didn't question it as a viable device, merely that it isn't a very good one. When the majority of video game styles cannot be adopted to a format in a quality fashion, the device is just as limited as the aforementioned GBA.
No no. It isn't a very good device for YOU. The majority of video game styles YOU ENJOY cannot be adopted to it in a quality fashion.

About 50% of the commuters on my train this morning seemed to imply that the device was very suitable for the types of games they enjoy.

Ta
Pete

sent from my iPhone

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:21 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Or am I "doing it wrong"?
Sorry Ryan, your a nice lad, but please try to stay out of the cross-fire.

If however, you're really trying to play Sonic on an iDevice, then yes you are Doing it wrong. Try somethng more casual instead, a word game for instance.

Ta,
Pete

sent from my iFridge

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:25 pm

pforson wrote:
The Laird wrote:You seem to have trouble understanding my posts or maybe you just love to argue with me, judging recent evidence I would say its the latter.
I understand your posts. I just disagree with them.
The Laird wrote:Of course some games benefit from touch screen controls but they tend to be the more casual games.
Are you happy on your little high-horse, looking down on us plebs playing casual games?
The Laird wrote:But you already answered your own question and basically agreed with what I said anyway
How exactly did I agree with your statement that touch controls are rubbish compared to more traditional controls? - I tried to point out that they are not rubbish, only different and suited to different genres.
Missing the point completely again I see and trying to twist the argument.

1. Show me where I said casual games were bad? I play quite a few casual games on my phone, that is all I do play on it really. I certainly never called you a "pleb" either.

2. I never said you did agree with that statement because that wasn't what I was saying. I said that a touch screen could never properly replicate games the same as a handheld console and then you said exactly the same thing, so yes you did agree with me despite your protests otherwise.

Seriously what is with people on this forum always trying to create drama out of nothing and mistaking opinions for fact.

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:35 pm

The Laird wrote:mistaking opinions for fact.
It's the Art und Weise in which you put your 'opinions' across that tends to rile me.

Night night sweet cheeks.

Ta,
pete

sent from my iShotgun

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:43 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Never been able to get on with shooters on a touchscreen, mostly because if I move my ship/plane/whatever up the screen, then my hand's covering everything else up and I can't see where I'm going if I want to move back down the screen. Or am I "doing it wrong"?
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Some touchscreen games have the most mental control methods and obscuring the screen with your fingers is a constant theme. Then there's games in the same genre where the controls are lovely and you wonder why everybody doesn't just copy that system. A control method favourite of mine on the iPad is the default controls being utter pish and then discovering a far better way of controlling the game hidden away in the options.
Not all classic style of shooters are going to be immediately suited to a touchscreen. I wouldn't fancy playing Defender on my iPad though it could probably be done. I bet Tempest would work great though. The situation is really the same as on standard consoles with stuff like RTS games. An RTS game really needs a mouse but it hasn't stopped RTS games being put on the home consoles and having a decent job done of it with a gamepad as the controller. It depends on the developer and their approach and the ability to innovate and streamline to some degree. There's not really all that much that can't be adapted for a touchscreen IMO. The small screen of handheld gaming is far more of a restriction for me than any control method. Some stuff just doesn't work so good on a titchy screen.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:31 am

5:41pm:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I'd rather not go down the road of discussing the pros and cons of videogaming on smartphones. It's been done to death several times already on the forum and someone always rocks up posting as if it's nothing but dodgy controls and Angry Birds... :lol:
9:32pm:
DPrinny wrote:And the worlds most played shitty game Angry birds was made for touch screens
Who'd have thunk it! :roll: :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:23 am

pforson wrote:
nakamura wrote: I didn't question it as a viable device, merely that it isn't a very good one. When the majority of video game styles cannot be adopted to a format in a quality fashion, the device is just as limited as the aforementioned GBA.
No no. It isn't a very good device for YOU. The majority of video game styles YOU ENJOY cannot be adopted to it in a quality fashion.

About 50% of the commuters on my train this morning seemed to imply that the device was very suitable for the types of games they enjoy.

Ta
Pete

sent from my iPhone
Are you deliberately being ignorant? The majority of video games within the industry cannot be adapted to a good standard to a touch device, you have pretty much confirmed that with your ramblings. They are good at many many touch style games and some great ones on there. I never once said I don't enjoy the good games on a touch device, I'm not ignorant enough to do so.

The Vita is the only device that could deliver the best of both worlds. Both physical controls and touch gaming with a lovely screen.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 am

nakamura wrote:Are you deliberately being ignorant? The majority of video games within the industry cannot be adapted to a good standard to a touch device, you have pretty much confirmed that with your ramblings. They are good at many many touch style games and some great ones on there. I never once said I don't enjoy the good games on a touch device, I'm not ignorant enough to do so.
But you're ignorant enough to make a massive generalisation with nothing substantial to back it up.
It sounds like you're taking specific examples from your own mind and extrapolating them to an extreme. The fact is that nearly every genre that is currently on a traditional handheld can be successfully adapted for touchscreen controls. I know this because I've played those games. Shooters, platformers, turn based games, rpgs, you name it.
Stating the "majority of video games" can't be done to a decent standard is just plain wrong. The genres themselves can absolutely be adapted properly and to a good standard. Individual games might be more problematic but then that's not an issue exclusive to having a touchscreen. Some games just don't work the same way on a small screen without the original control interface. A ported console fps would be just as crap on a Vita as on an IPhone to me. An fps developed for the handhelds might be a different proposition though.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:43 am

nakamura wrote: Are you deliberately being ignorant?
How exactly am I being ignorant?

In my opening post I clearly stated that my 3 favourite Handhelds were the Game Boy, GBA SP and Nintendo DS. 3 machines that have tactile, traditional control methods (Yes, before you say it, the DS also has a touch screen).

As an aside I chose to nominate an iPod as viable modern alternative, which, by virtue of a touch screen, affords the player the opportunity to play different styles of games not traditionally associated with a handheld - such as point and click adventure games.

At which point the same usual faces came storming in, ignoring the majority of my post and choosing once again to claim that touch screen devices are inferior to traditional controls. Without taking the time to consider that perhaps they are not inferior, but different.

I'm not ignorant of the fact that a lot of game styles are not suited to a touch screen. I'm also not ignorant of the fact that a lot of games styles are suited to a touch screen.
nakamura wrote: The Vita is the only device that could deliver the best of both worlds. Both physical controls and touch gaming with a lovely screen.
I've got nothng against the Vita. If and when they release some games that interest me, I'll be sure to buy one.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 am

The Vita might offer "the best of both worlds" but given its rather sluggish sales history, it has to be said that the market doesn't particularly appear to want that. Even the, somewhat more respectable, 3DS sales appear to be driven more by the exclusivity of the first party franchises than that it offers traditional controls.

You can get also Android smartphones and tablets with games controls on them - such as as the Xperia Play - although relatively few people do. I suspect it's only worth it if you're wanting to run emulators or play the comparatively small number of games where the touch screen controls are totally borked.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:04 am

slacey1070 wrote:I won my original Gameboy in a Quavers competition.... arrived in December after I'd spent lunch time at the pub whilst supposedly being at college... wasn't sure if I was seeing things...
That must have been great winning that !!

As for iOS gaming again i wasnt a fan as theres no buttons, at the end of the day its a bit like the 80's and what programmers could do. In the 80's you had some really bad designed games but with the right team you had a classic. I mean look at R-Type on the Speccy (brilliant) and how bad Nemesis was (terrible), just depends on the team.

On iOS some companies know what controls work well and can create great games, others you can tell are 'newbies' and create a good looking game but often the controls kill it. Some FPS games work so well, others dont get the controls right and they play really badly.

With shooters its all about relative touch, so the ship moves relative to where you place your finger. You then get other shooters which arent relative touch and your finger blocks your own ship, ridiculous.

I thought i would hate virtual controls on platformers but after playing a lot i'm so used to it and love it. Again it depends on the company/programmer as lots of devs seem to come up with some 'great' revolutionary idea of controls which totally backfires once the games out. But a standard platformer with left/right/jump buttons on screen works very well.

As for gaming on a mobile phone i've never been into phones before, always had an old phone. Got an iPhone now mostly for gaming, i work away from home a lot and having all my games/books/music/films i want on one device is superb.

Again horses for courses, some people might play a few iOS games and wont be keen on the controls or some might think sadly its all 'Angry birds' and thats it which is narrow minded. Persevere and its a great device capable of so much. The price of the games is amazing, most get lots of updates with more levels (or new controls), coming from the 80's and saving up for games (a fair few which were crap) which were £7.95, i now look and see these quality games on iOS for a quid or two and i (victor meldrew voice - ) cant believe it.

Also for saving space (eg sold all my old consoles/computers many of which were gathering dust), moving to a new house (and de-cluttering) and having a kid (so trying to fit in a bit of gaming here and there) iOS devices are superb. In a perfect world i would have a spare room with tons of old consoles etc which i could set up and play on but now with less time its the perfect device.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:09 am

The Beans wrote:Reading the views, memories and anecdotes in this thread has really brought home how fast technology can move and what a great ride it all is.
Totally agree, its great seeing how popular handheld gaming is. When i first saw that Gameboy years ago i was blown away. The PSP was impressive and the DS, to be fair i didnt have one but used a mates one but impressive to see how far it had come. Now with iOS mobile gaming is just huge.

Still love that original gameboy and those cartridges though! I remember going to Windsor once a month at lunchtime to buy a new Gameboy game for about i think £20-£25, blimey !