Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DreamcastRIP

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm looking forward to the imminent release of the modern technology replacement screen for Atari Lynx II. Crisper graphics, no washed out colours and no screen blurring. :D :D :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:06 pm

nakamura wrote:Really? I don't see how. I do appreciate the prices and downloadable delivery but for the majority of games they are just useless devices. They are almost unworkable without buttons. Games built around them are certainly fantastic of course.
You've just answered your own question. Games made specifically with the control interface (touch screen) in mind are indeed fantastic. Which confuses me as to why you felt the need to question the validity of an iDevice as a games machine. If you've been downloading games that require tactile controls, then I'm very sorry to say it, but you're doing it wrong.
The Laird wrote:Until they add proper controls to a phone it can never replicate a dedicated handheld console. No matter what some people say touch screen controls are no substitute for a proper joypad and buttons.
You really love throwing around sweeping statements don't you?

Is it really too difficult to understand that certain genres of games actually benefit from being played on a touch screen?

In fact, most anything that would traditionally have been played with a mouse works brilliantly on a touch screen. Turn based strategy, management games like football manager, point and click adventures and RPG's - all work better on a touch screen compared to a joypad. They may not be your cup of Tea, but it doesn't mean that other people don't enjoy them.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 pm

You seem to have trouble understanding my posts or maybe you just love to argue with me, judging recent evidence I would say its the latter.

Of course some games benefit from touch screen controls but they tend to be the more casual games. I downloaded Football Manager for my Android phone and it's crap, a phone screen is just too small to play a game like that and it just ends up being confusing as you constantly swap screens to do 1 simple thing. Also genres such as RPG's and complex strategy games are not often seen on handheld consoles due to the nature of game. Handheld gaming is traditionally of the pick up and play nature that you can dip in and out of and play quick games, something mobile gaming is very much focused on.

But you already answered your own question and basically agreed with what I said anyway (which makes the arguing seem even more pointless). Certain genres yes, arcade games and the like - an emphatic NO. So if we are talking about a mobile phone replacing a traditional handheld console then no it can't replicate it because it cannot do the type of games traditionally found on a handheld console anywhere near as well with touch screen controls.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:54 pm

pforson wrote:
nakamura wrote:Really? I don't see how. I do appreciate the prices and downloadable delivery but for the majority of games they are just useless devices. They are almost unworkable without buttons. Games built around them are certainly fantastic of course.
You've just answered your own question. Games made specifically with the control interface (touch screen) in mind are indeed fantastic. Which confuses me as to why you felt the need to question the validity of an iDevice as a games machine. If you've been downloading games that require tactile controls, then I'm very sorry to say it, but you're doing it wrong.
I didn't question it as a viable device, merely that it isn't a very good one. When the majority of video game styles cannot be adopted to a format in a quality fashion, the device is just as limited as the aforementioned GBA.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:57 pm

pforson wrote:
The Laird wrote:Until they add proper controls to a phone it can never replicate a dedicated handheld console. No matter what some people say touch screen controls are no substitute for a proper joypad and buttons.
You really love throwing around sweeping statements don't you?

Is it really too difficult to understand that certain genres of games actually benefit from being played on a touch screen?

In fact, most anything that would traditionally have been played with a mouse works brilliantly on a touch screen. Turn based strategy, management games like football manager, point and click adventures and RPG's - all work better on a touch screen compared to a joypad. They may not be your cup of Tea, but it doesn't mean that other people don't enjoy them.
I own an ipad and there's no way a touch screen esp one that uses finger touch can get anywhere near laser or even optical mouse accuracy, especially games like Lemmings and certain point and click adventures where u need to be pixel perfect, I would say maybe work well enough but certainly not brilliantly.

Plus how's the Lairds 'sweeping statement' any different from yours? There are own opinions nothing more nothing less nothing todo with 'sweeping statements'

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:12 pm

nakamura wrote:I didn't question it as a viable device, merely that it isn't a very good one. When the majority of video game styles cannot be adopted to a format in a quality fashion, the device is just as limited as the aforementioned GBA.
I've played Dodonpachi Resurrection on an iPhone and it was damned impressive and easy to control. It's hard to see where you're coming from when you're saying the platform is as limited as a GBA. If you're talking about a majority of video game styles that can't be decently done on the platform maybe you should list them. I've played all sorts of platformers and shooters and a fair few turn based rpgs and strategy games using touchscreen controls and they've all been playable, some very playable indeed and some that could have been better (which isn't a problem exclusive to touchscreen games really).
I think some people just don't like the idea of a touchscreen. I'm the same with motion controls. There's definite prejudice on my part when it comes to motion control stuff, I freely admit. It's a control method I don't particuraly want and just can't be bothered getting used to. In fact, didn't we hear all this same sort of "it doesn't suit this particular type of game and will never be as a good as a gamepad" sort of thing back when the Wii was a nipper? I'm sure I must have said it along with loads of other people. It all turned out to be a load of bollocks really.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:19 pm

I don't need to list them because most people that aren't looking to disagree for the sake of it know what I am talking about.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:25 pm

nakamura wrote:I don't need to list them because most people that aren't looking to disagree for the sake of it know what I am talking about.
Ah, just prejudice then, with nothing to back it up. Nice one. :lol:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:18 pm

touch screens are great for certain games. Shooters for example are superb. Also point-and-click and games of that ilk. Some genres obviously work far better than others, but it's come a long way since we first started covering them in Retro Gamer.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Never been able to get on with shooters on a touchscreen, mostly because if I move my ship/plane/whatever up the screen, then my hand's covering everything else up and I can't see where I'm going if I want to move back down the screen. Or am I "doing it wrong"?

A friend of mine showed me Sonic on her iPod as well, and that was another one I just couldn't get used to. Something to do with covering up parts of the screen just doesn't seem right - surely I can't be the only one who thinks that?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Never been able to get on with shooters on a touchscreen, mostly because if I move my ship/plane/whatever up the screen, then my hand's covering everything else up and I can't see where I'm going if I want to move back down the screen. Or am I "doing it wrong"?

A friend of mine showed me Sonic on her iPod as well, and that was another one I just couldn't get used to. Something to do with covering up parts of the screen just doesn't seem right - surely I can't be the only one who thinks that?
Nope, I totally agree mate.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 pm

As I keep saying, good games are made round the controls.
Mario 64 was made for the N64 controller
Street fighter was made for a joystick and six buttons
Donkey konga was made for the bongos
WiiSports was made for the Wiimote
And the worlds most played shitty game Angry birds was made for touch screens

Ive plugged a USB pad into my tablet and played some arcade games and it was fine, touch screen they dont work

Bizarrely Missile Command does
Last edited by DPrinny on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jazzymun

Post by jazzymun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:33 pm

My favorite handheld is the Pandora which can emulate any system of the past 30 years.
Look up openpandora for more info. Comes with full QWERTY keyboard...

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Also even though someone buying a smartphone has not bought it for gaming, the fact it does have the ability to do so may be just enough to stop them carrying around a dedicated device as well, or even question whether they need one.

I do not have a smartphone, but do have an Ipod touch, this is really used for music and videos on the go, as a gaming platform for me, it does not work that well, and god knows i have tried, but it remains as alien to me as ever, that is why I love the Vita at the moment, best of both worlds.

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 pm

I think IOS gaming is okay when the game is built around touch screen controls (on screen dpad/buttons are silly IMO) but I much prefer my 3DS as with that you can get both. You might think Dodonpachi controls okayish on your iPhone but if you had access to a d-pad and buttons I bet you would stop using the touch screen.