Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:22 am

Ohhhhh can we choose modern handhelds then ?!

Back in the early 00's i loved my Pocket PC, it was like an early ipod touch, had a ton of games/emulators for it and i could play movies/music on it, a great device

Then discovering the ipod touch i fell in love with it, amazing how many quality games there are for it. I must admit i wasnt keen on the touch controls at first but now i'm totally used to it, got so much available to me in the palm of my hand. A great device.

But i still remember seeing my mates Gameboy for the first time and looking astonished as he then removed a cartridge and put in a new one. Went straight on the train to Reading the following day to buy one !

(And the excitement of seeing a 128 games in 1 cartridge in Spain - wow !)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 am

I can't decide - you may as well have asked me what's my favourite major internal organ?

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:54 am

I won my original Gameboy in a Quavers competition.... arrived in December after I'd spent lunch time at the pub whilst supposedly being at college... wasn't sure if I was seeing things...

I do like my 3DSXL - its a nice bit of kit, some games I like... although I'm not a big ninty fan...

But emulation on the PSP still wins the day for me
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 am

Ah, I love handhelds. I have owned and loved many of them.

First was the Game Gear - Shinobi is STILL one of the greatest games to appear on a handheld system. And yes the TV Tuner was a remarkable piece of technology.

My most played is the PSP (2000). It plays everything - old and new. Hacked it is a thing of wonder. I have an ipod and pad and for me they just don't hold a candle to Sony's machine.

Special mention - GB Micro. How on earth did they get a Snes so small?!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:11 am

The first of the modern handhelds I played was the Lynx, and nothing portable I saw after that day many years ago hit me as hard again. But that ugly little Gameboy from 1990 had 20+ hours from 4 batteries...it's truly portable, and you can play it outside in daylight. Kinda important, know what I mean? The GB was right for the time because the tech specs of the Lynx (and the brilliant PC Engine GT) went too far too fast, though as someone pointed out earlier, don't expect an impressive good-bad ratio of titles. With one of those flash carts though, you can have a great little collection of games to take around with you... if you dare show a GB in public any more!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 am

psj3809 wrote: (And the excitement of seeing a 128 games in 1 cartridge in Spain - wow !)
Heh just noticed this post. In 1992 I saw tons of these bootlegs in Gran Canaria. They were dodgy, but I bought a couple of them I admit. It was about three years before they stopped working.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
pforson wrote:... I'd say the best handheld 'experience' I've ever had is with my Ipod touch, some great games, awesome screen and brilliant portability (no games to carry),
Agreed. If I remove the rose tinted spectacles of nostalgia there's no denying that smartphones (plus iPod touch) provide by far the greatest overall portable gaming experience there's ever been.
but I wouldn't really class it as a console...
Really? I don't see how. I do appreciate the prices and downloadable delivery but for the majority of games they are just useless devices. They are almost unworkable without buttons. Games built around them are certainly fantastic of course.

It highlights how awesome the Vita could have been with the right support.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 pm

nakamura wrote:Really? I don't see how. I do appreciate the prices and downloadable delivery but for the majority of games they are just useless devices. They are almost unworkable without buttons. Games built around them are certainly fantastic of course.
ProTip: Don't buy the rubbish games then! It's not rocket science.
It highlights how awesome the Vita could have been with the right support.
PS Vita a still newish product so it could still turn out to be "awesome".
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 pm

True the Vita could be awesome but no matter how good a smartphone is, most game styles do not work well on it. Fair enough if people do prefer it though.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 pm

nakamura wrote:True the Vita could be awesome but no matter how good a smartphone is, most game styles do not work well on it. Fair enough if people do prefer it though.
I'd rather not go down the road of discussing the pros and cons of videogaming on smartphones. It's been done to death several times already on the forum and someone always rocks up posting as if it's nothing but dodgy controls and Angry Birds... :lol:

Insofar as my own portable gaming preferences, from my sig you'll note I own a variety of different systems including every single Nintendo handheld (Game Boy onwards, including Virtual Boy but excluding the kiddie tat such as Pokemon Mini) but with the advent of buying my first iPhone a couple of years ago I now struggle to envisage ever again buying a dedicated handheld console. It's not about who is 'right' and who is 'wrong' though. It's about personal preference and in the world outside of internet gaming forums such as this I'm very clearly in the majority with that viewpoint.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Insofar as my own portable gaming preferences, from my sig you'll note I own a variety of different systems including every single Nintendo handheld but with the advent of buying my first iPhone a couple of years ago I now struggle to envisage ever again buying a dedicated handheld console. It's not about who is 'right' and who is 'wrong' though. It's about personal preference and in the world outside of internet gaming forums such as this I'm very clearly in the majority with that viewpoint.
That viewpoint isn't clear really, it's just an assumption by you. There's more people out there who own a mobile phone than there is people who own a dedicated handheld games console but the majority of them bought their phone to use as a phone, not a gaming device. The gaming side of things for many is an aside, if they even use that aspect of their phone at all. You're trying to say the majority of mobile phone users made a conscious decision to buy their phone as a gaming device, which seems unlikely. I would have said the preference of one platform over the other wasn't even a factor for most mobile users.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Spot on Beans. A smartphone is a phone first and foremost. For many others it is a social tool with benefits. I am sure many do use certain games on them, heck I do myself with games like Words With Friend and the like. However people rarely buy them to play videogames on them I don't think.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Yep, I don't know a single person who bought a phone to use as gaming device, they bought it to use as a phone. The fact it plays games is a bonus.

Until they add proper controls to a phone it can never replicate a dedicated handheld console. No matter what some people say touch screen controls are no substitute for a proper joypad and buttons.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 pm

The Beans wrote:You're trying to say the majority of mobile phone users made a conscious decision to buy their phone as a gaming device
No, I'm saying no such thing. That's just an assumption by you.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 pm

nakamura wrote:Spot on Beans. A smartphone is a phone first and foremost. For many others it is a social tool with benefits. I am sure many do use certain games on them, heck I do myself with games like Words With Friend and the like. However people rarely buy them to play videogames on them I don't think.
It's a growing market though. A huge growing market. My mrs got me an iPad (not a handheld but still a portable device) and I use it almost exclusively for games. I see iOS as a gaming platform and I'm sure a lot of others do too. It's just that there's no "clear majority" of gamers on the mobiles when it comes to gaming. There's just a massive proliferation of devices and a largely incidental customer base. If Apple or somebody put out something that played only games we'd have a better picture of it all overall I think. I can see this changing in the future. All gaming platforms are going multi-purpose now. The converegence is towards what a mobile phone can do really.

This thread has been an interesting read for me because it's a rambling history of portable devices through the eyes of people who grew up with them and were there at the start. It's funny where we've ended up and where we're probably going with handheld gaming. I thought my Gameboy SP was pretty marvellous back in the day, an amazing little thing. It seems really limited now lol. Reading the views, memories and anecdotes in this thread has really brought home how fast technology can move and what a great ride it all is.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.