Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DreamcastRIP

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:11 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: * the Sony PSP outgunned the Nintendo DS by some margin
* the Sony PS Vita blows the Nintendo 3DS out of the water
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Only true if you're more impressed by a machine's capabilities rather than it's library of games.
Oddly enough a console's capabilities can and do affect the gaming experience. If it didn't then we'd all be happy to be still playing on the Milton Bradley Microvision.

So the DS hardware could exactly replicate the likes of PSP's WipEout Pure, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Ridge Racer and Gran Turismo could it? I think not!

As few games as it may have I'd much rather have a PS Vita than a 3DS. Especially now that Llamasoft are bringing TxK (the new Tempest 2000 derivative) to PS Vita.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:20 pm

As someone else has already said.
Yawn.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Retro wise it has to be the Atari Lynx, still looks the business today, has a great library of games, none of it's contemporary rivals gave me as much enjoyment as that did, and continues to.

In the last decade and more, I have enjoyed the combination of PSP/DSI, both offering a different experience from each other, and that is carrying on nicely with the PS Vita and 3ds XL, did not really care for the small version of the latter, but the XL is a thing of real beauty to me, love it, and the Vita has a great selection of retail games, with some of the best Japanese games at least getting a download version.

Honourable mention to the Wonderswan Crystal, and it's excellent games such as Judgement Silversword, insanely long battery life, and the Gameboy Micro and a copy of Gradius Gaiden.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Instant reaction would be a hacked PSP (playing ALMOST every game I've ever loved, and so much more besides), but I've had enjoyment from every handheld I've ever tried, even the "crap" ones:

-The game.com's got good versions of Frogger and Duke Nukem 3D, and even Batman & Robin's good if you're "in the mood" for it.
-The Gamate has a nice little Castlevania clone, and lots of other charmingly broken games.
-The SuperVision has my favourite version of Tetris.
-The GameKing has a highly playable version of Antarctic Adventure (here titled "Go! Touch the Penguin!")
-The Pokemon Mini has Pokemon Pinball Mini, which is just great.
-The Systema Portable Game Master has Hyper-Space, which is a fairly mad version of Galaxian.
-The Gizmondo has TrailBlazer, which is amongst the "Best Games Ever".

Haven't used a 3DS much, only very briefly once at the Lass and I couldn't get my eyes around the screen, so don't really have an opinion on it at the moment. And I forgot the Vita even existed until seeing one in a shop the other day.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:22 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:... but I've had enjoyment from every handheld I've ever tried, even the "crap" ones:

-The Systema Portable Game Master has Hyper-Space, which is a fairly mad version of Galaxian
That game sounds interesting from your description as I enjoy old school shmups including Galaxian variants. Cheers, I'll be looking into it. :D
-The Gizmondo has TrailBlazer, which is amongst the "Best Games Ever"
... and the fabulous P.O.D. Point Of Destruction. For such a catastrophic commercial failure and something that's the subject of so much widespread derision on teh internets the Gizmondo sure has two absolute corkers in its games library. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 am

The Laird wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:My favourite would be the Sega Game Gear, though I wouldn't necessarily call it the 'best'. I like its design, it still looks good and there's a solid range of games for it. Throw in the Master Gear and the TV tuner and it really was a great system for its time. I loved mine and played it loads.
:lol:
I don't get it, what's funny? I know there are other technically better systems as I said, but this is my favourite.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:58 am

Been some great handheld consoles over the years, the NGPC, Lynx and GB Micros I've owned and found all fantastic. I recently bought the 3DS XL, and I'm really enjoying it. Has it got as much under the hood as Vita? I dunno. I bought it due to the great amount of Nintendo titles for a start (I can play others on the home 360), and Nintendo games IMO suit handheld systems for sheer fun. The 3D effect is cool, the novelty will wear off of course. I looked at other systems, considered a Vita, and PSP for it's value and library, but ultimately I love the design of the XL and had the most games I want to get in a handheld machine, and an enticing amount of coming soons. I've had it only a few days, time will tell but I can see it becoming my all time fave. :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:43 am

kiwimike wrote:... I recently bought the 3DS XL, and I'm really enjoying it.

... I love the design of the XL
From what I've experienced of it I rate the 3DS XL quite highly too. It's the 3DS that I consider to be a mediocre product.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:My favourite would be the Sega Game Gear, though I wouldn't necessarily call it the 'best'. I like its design, it still looks good and there's a solid range of games for it. Throw in the Master Gear and the TV tuner and it really was a great system for its time. I loved mine and played it loads.
I don't get it, what's funny? I know there are other technically better systems as I said, but this is my favourite.
Was going to say thats quite rich considering TheLairds favourite consoles or handhelds !

For most of us our favourite consoles or handhelds were the ones we had as a kid. I love the original Gameboy, sure Laird loves the Lynx and Antiriad the Game Gear. I had a Game Boy back in 1990 i think it was, loved that, funny looking back at it as its like a huge brick but the second i hear the music from Tetris or Mario Land i'm instantly transported back. A great device

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:11 am

Very difficult to pick just one, because they all cover such different aspects of gaming. Here's my three favourites from different time periods.

Retro: Original Game Boy

I never knew anyone back in the day with a Lynx, but I've played one since and it's a good system with some great games. But due to the sheer size of it (especially the original version) and the poor battery life, I wouldn't class it as a great handheld system overall.

A friend of mine had a Game Gear as a kid, we used to play it around his house loads (plugged in of course). However, I remember on one school trip to France (by coach!) he very quickly ran out of batteries and we all reverted to our Game Boys, which in my opinion, is the only retro Handlheld that was truely portable (and had a great selection of games).

Mid-Retro: GBA SP

A huge improvement over the terrible original release. I have the backlit AGS-101 version and it's a lovely machine and the best way to play GBA games and original Game Boy games. Metroid is my fave Nintento franchise and Zero Mission is awesome!

Modern: Nintendo DS Lite (sort of)

Let me explain the 'sort of'. As far as a traditional handheld is concerned I really like the DS. It's portable, good battery life and has a nice selection of games (including my favourite game of this generation - Hotel Dusk).

However, the PSP is also awesome, but only if you allow emulation into the equation. I probably use my hacked PSP-GO more than my DS, but only for emulation. Lastly I'd say the best handheld 'experience' I've ever had is with my Ipod touch, some great games, awesome screen and brilliant portability (no games to carry), but I wouldn't really class it as a console...

Ta,
Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:23 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Just responding with a laughing smiley is pretty rude and unnecessary.

The Game Gear had some good games and the TV Tuner was indeed quality for the time. My best mate really liked his and kept it in pristine condition in a travel case thingy. It was just a shame about the lack of Battery life.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:39 am

pforson wrote:... I'd say the best handheld 'experience' I've ever had is with my Ipod touch, some great games, awesome screen and brilliant portability (no games to carry),
Agreed. If I remove the rose tinted spectacles of nostalgia there's no denying that smartphones (plus iPod touch) provide by far the greatest overall portable gaming experience there's ever been.
but I wouldn't really class it as a console...
I suppose the 'definition' of what is a console has been increasingly changing these past few years. With the advent of GP2X, PSP Go, Dingoo, Caanoo, Pandora, iPhone and its clones, iPod touch, GameGadget, digitally distributed games on PSP, DSi, 3DS and PS Vita perhaps the term 'handheld console' is already largely redundant. 'Portable gaming device' or some such term seems to be where it's at nowadays.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 am

It's hard not to go with the GBA SP. Let's face it; there are four things you want in a handheld; portability, battery life, a good screen and great games. And for its day it had all of those in spades, whereas at pretty much every other time in the history of handheld gaming, there's been something of a trade-off between them.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:14 am

PS Vita for form factor alone. It feels so good in my hands, all the buttons are extremely responsive and the screen is AWESOME. There's no shortage of brilliant games either.

2nd fave would be the NGPC. Some really unique games and a brilliant control stick.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 am

Choice wise yes there are tones of games on phones which are fantastic but most of it is junk or just does not quite work with the lack of tactile buttons. I use my iPhone a lot but I still say the most enjoyment I have had game wise was still with a older style portable console just down to the control scheme. Also I wish phone battery life was like a gba sp. just found my boxed up zelda gold sp after nearly 3 years and it still turned on with no more charge put into it :shock: that's bloody good going that