Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

imaxeroker85

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by imaxeroker85 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:46 pm

PSP. I never used a handheld as much as a did with the PSP. And It has had so many great original games and ports that made the machine feel really powerful and almost as good as the Ps2. Take games like Chilli Con Carnage, Liberty City Stories, God Of War and any Racer series.

doc_eggfan

Post by doc_eggfan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:41 am

I'd love my NGPC to death if it wasn't for those noisy micro-switches. I do appreciate the excellent feedback and accuracy, but I get told off for using it late at night for all the "clicky-clicky" noises.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:24 am

Some of my favs are the Atari Lynx and Neo-Geo Pocket Color, with a mention for the Gameboy Pocket too, likewise the Sega Nomad and PC ENgine GT but they aren't dedicated handhelds per say as they just ran the console games literally with screen text issue included!

But it as to be the GBA for me, powerful hardware with an amazing array of great games.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:35 pm

In terms of enjoyment, Game Boy Color by a long shot. I used to take it everywhere, definitely had my money's worth.

Second would be the PSP. I had a DS Lite for a couple of years but soon got bored of it (although it is a fantastic machine). I decided to trade it in and took a gamble on a PSP - best decision ever. The PSP suited my tastes better games-wise, and the multi media functions soon became a necessity. I could take my PSPGo to a desert island (provided I had means of charging it) and be entertained for the rest of my days.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:40 pm

My favourite would be the Sega Game Gear, though I wouldn't necessarily call it the 'best'. I like its design, it still looks good and there's a solid range of games for it. Throw in the Master Gear and the TV tuner and it really was a great system for its time. I loved mine and played it loads.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 pm

I've owned a lynx, Game Gear, various GBs, GBAs, PSP, DS, DSlite.

My favourites remain my lovely silver GBA Pocket and GBA Micro.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:My favourite would be the Sega Game Gear, though I wouldn't necessarily call it the 'best'. I like its design, it still looks good and there's a solid range of games for it. Throw in the Master Gear and the TV tuner and it really was a great system for its time. I loved mine and played it loads.
:lol:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:31 pm

GBA. Simply because of Metroid Fusion.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Nintendo DS Lite

great 1st party games but even more amazing 3rd party, especially for RPGs/tactical games

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:59 pm

GBA or PSP - I can't decide.

GBA has so many awesome games reminiscent of the 16bit era but the PSP has excellent portable versions of console franchises that I love such as Soul Calibur, Tekken, Street Fighter, Persona etc. and as well as lots of quality RPG's and retro compilations.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 pm

There is a gulf in quality between the Nintendo handhelds and anything else but it's hard to choose between them. The GBA SP was the first one to have a good screen and good battery life at the same time and it was like having a second Super Nintendo so I might have to go with that. :)

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:13 pm

PSP. Loads of great retro titles to be had like Capcom Classics Re-mixed and because it does a pretty good job at emulating other handhelds like Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy/Color and not too bad at emulating the other best handheld, the Lynx.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Syntesis wrote:There is a gulf in quality between the Nintendo handhelds and anything else but it's hard to choose between them.
Agreed.

* the tabletop games from the likes of Grandstand were considerably more impressive than the Nintendo Game & Watch range
* the Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear were leagues ahead of the Nintendo Game Boy
* the SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color was far superior to the Nintendo Game Boy Color
* the Sony PSP outgunned the Nintendo DS by some margin
* the Sony PS Vita blows the Nintendo 3DS out of the water
* iOS and Android portable gaming devices are wiping the floor with the Nintendo 3DS
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:54 pm

Yawn.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: * the Sony PSP outgunned the Nintendo DS by some margin
* the Sony PS Vita blows the Nintendo 3DS out of the water
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Only true if you're more impressed by a machine's capabilities rather than it's library of games.

The 3DS is currently my favourite handheld. Superb library of games including Super Street Fighter 4, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Kid Icarus Uprising, Resident Evil Revelations and Luigi's Mansion 2 as well as backward compatibility with all DS games and an E-Shop packed to the gills with excellent original titles like Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Go! Go! Kokopolo!, Reflect Missile, Dodogo, Hyroventure: Spin Cycle, Fractured Soul and Nano Assault EX, as well as it's own version of the Virtual Console for people who like to pay over the odds for old ROMS. :wink:

That being said, I don't currently have access to an Android/iOS device though.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!