Neo Geo X Gold

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by nakamura » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:39 am

3DS lineup is indeed fantastic now.

As for using a hacked PSP, well some people simply like official products and supporting the devs. However I honestly feel the Neo X is currently not worth supporting. Also there the fact that using a hacked PSP to play roms is not legal.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DoraemonTheCat
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:58 am

nakamura wrote:Also there the fact that using a hacked PSP to play roms is not legal.
No way! When did this happen?

Syntesis
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by Syntesis » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:21 am

nakamura wrote: As for using a hacked PSP, well some people simply like official products and supporting the devs. However I honestly feel the Neo X is currently not worth supporting. Also there the fact that using a hacked PSP to play roms is not legal.
Which devs? The emulator is Final Burn Alpha and they aren't getting a penny from it. The developers of the original games don't even work at SNK anymore and they aren't getting residuals! SNK isn't a charity... if they are going to license their brand to incompetent companies and fail to protect their name from being sullied by crappy products then they don't deserve any money.

As with any form of media, it's up to the company to produce a better product/service than the pirates (see Steam, Netflix and iTunes). Sane people aren't going to buy an inferior product just because it's legal.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 27004
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:58 pm

nakamura wrote:Also there the fact that using a hacked PSP to play roms is sometimes not legal.
Fixed that for you.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by The Beans » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Syntesis wrote:As with any form of media, it's up to the company to produce a better product/service than the pirates (see Steam, Netflix and iTunes). Sane people aren't going to buy an inferior product just because it's legal.
I wouldn't say a person who legitimises their thieving ways with a credo along the lines of "hey, the product isn't what I'd like it to be so it's ok to steal it" could be termed "sane" tbh.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:26 pm

The Beans wrote:
Syntesis wrote:As with any form of media, it's up to the company to produce a better product/service than the pirates (see Steam, Netflix and iTunes). Sane people aren't going to buy an inferior product just because it's legal.
I wouldn't say a person who legitimises their thieving ways with a credo along the lines of "hey, the product isn't what I'd like it to be so it's ok to steal it" could be termed "sane" tbh.
Well said that man.

User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by nakamura » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Ok I used the wrong term with devs and yes some roms are legal.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 27004
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:04 pm

nakamura wrote:yes some roms are legal.
They're all legal as long as you dump them yourself ;)

We're allowed to make and use backups. The dodgy bit comes from downloading someone else's copy, even though that'll be identical to our own.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25268
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm

If someone was to download a ROM of a game that you can't buy new and is probably never to be a downloadable title on the likes of PSN who really loses out, besides those ebay types

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 pm

AmigaJay wrote:I have a 3ds and 4 games since last year and hardly touch it, my missus bought it for me
Perfectly understandable. 3DS is a very mediocre product.
I think they are releasing a firmware update soon for the neogeo x, hopefully would fix the screen tearing and resolution options
Here's hoping. :D

Several consoles have launched with firmware issues but have improved over time so maybe some or most of the Neo Geo X's current issues will be ironed out soon.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:07 am

YAY! Customary 3DS is rubbish comment in early today!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 am

nakamura wrote:YAY! Customary 3DS is rubbish comment in early today!
A mere counterweight to redress the balance of the "phenomenal" and "fantastic" hyperbole comments of syntesis and your good self respectively! :lol:

Back on topic to discussing how piracy is preferable to buying games legitimately then...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by joefish » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:25 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
nakamura wrote:yes some roms are legal.
They're all legal as long as you dump them yourself ;)
That would be great if it were actually true. There's no provision in UK law for copies for 'fair use' or transfer to alternate media or devices like there is in other countries. So saying you own the originals so you feel entitled to make a copy (or that MAME said it's OK) is just another dot somewhere along the scale of illegality. So can we just give it a rest for once. There's nothing new to be said.

My opinion of this system is it's too pricey. It's not horrendous, given the cost of the system back when, but if the screen quality of the portable system isn't up to snuff then it's definitely a rip-off. It's also too much to pay for something purely to use as a console under a new TV.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6775
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:16 am

DreamcastRIP wrote: Perfectly understandable. 3DS is a very mediocre product.
Change the record, you're boring everyone. When you say things like that it just makes you look silly and ignorant. There are some fantastic games on the 3DS (just like there are some rubbish ones) but to call it a mediocre product is idiotic in the extreme.
Image

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: Perfectly understandable. 3DS is a very mediocre product.
Change the record, you're boring everyone. When you say things like that it just makes you look silly and ignorant. There are some fantastic games on the 3DS (just like there are some rubbish ones) but to call it a mediocre product is idiotic in the extreme.
Firstly, other systems are similarly critiscised on a regular basis on this forum (always by the same one or two people) but I don't see you raging at them for doing so.

Secondly, my comment was generalised... unlike the snide comments of others who regularly make digs at the Atari Jaguar in a way to personally rile The Laird.

Thirdly, it's called having an opinion. I'm perfectly happy to list the myriad reasons for why I believe the 3DS is a mediocre product but as that wouldn't chime with your personal opinion of said Nintendo product it obviously cannot be tolerated on this forum and must be shouted down.

Please note that unlike you I've not resorted to bandying about insulting terms such as "silly", "ignorant" and "idiotic" just because I don't happen to share in your opinion. I suspect you'll now ban me regardless...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests