Neo Geo X Gold

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AceGrace

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by AceGrace » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:49 am

I'm confused.

I got an email from funstock.co.uk about these new packs. Are they just another distributor in the UK in addition to Blaze?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 am

It will be interesting to see if a firmware update does make a difference. If it did it would change my whole perception of the device as a consumer.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:24 am

Those game packs are pretty overpriced for 3 games, i think £14.99 would have been better than £24.99 , esp since PSN get them cheaper than £8.33 each! The 15 game pack is better value but still alot to shell out (£60 or £4 per game) in one go for a compilation of 'roms' with no enhancements.
It is very hard to support them when A) they are overpricing things and B) its easy to emulate on other hardware for free.... half the prices and i might pick one up but until then its a no-go zone for me.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 am

I recently bought SNK Arcade Classics for £18 on the PSP, 16 titles of which a good few are these games, or the games I would want to play, that is £1.12 each.
AceGrace wrote:I'm confused. I got an email from funstock.co.uk about these new packs. Are they just another distributor in the UK in addition to Blaze?
As the debacle with the game gadget showed, Blaze/Xploder/Pqube and Funstock are all closely linked companies, Andy Pearson of Pqube came on here trying to cover over the cracks of that problematic console, after they had been passed the task from xploder, who themselves had taken over distribution from Blaze.

He had worked with Blaze as product and marketing manager, then marketing consultant, and now he is e-commerce manager at Funstock as well as head of marketing at pqube.

Now, there is a facebook page that shows the Neo Geo X consoles arriving from the far east, into a Blaze ware house, and Jason Cooper from Blaze holding one with a message that he is helping to pack and send them out, and the inevitable conclusion is that they are pretty much the same barrel of fish.

Slick2097

Post by Slick2097 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 pm

*WISE*

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/06/neo- ... continued/

Not looking good for it, soon it'll be 50p on QVC.

Ste.
--
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
RetroPassion - Why not :) ?

3DS FC: 4914 - 4863 - 2799

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:15 pm

:lol: was always going to be an epic fail

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Back to the ol' download services and compi discs then.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:21 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote::lol: was always going to be an epic fail
Apparently it sold quite well, so you are wrong once again. I hear SNK are looking for another partner.

SNK had a big fall out with Tommo over the way they handled the whole thing including the issues with the build quality, TV output and the mess over the internal SD card.

Slick2097

Post by Slick2097 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:29 pm

I'll be grabbing one when its cheap.

I'll also be grabbing the new one if SNK get a more reliable partner this time. This thing had great promise ... then blaze got involved. :(

Ste.
--
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
RetroPassion - Why not :) ?

3DS FC: 4914 - 4863 - 2799

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:37 pm

you have to feel sorry for anybody who paid full price for this epic fail of a machine, what were they going for, £160-£180? deary me, it has to rank up there as one of the most spectacular gaming disasters.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:33 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:you have to feel sorry for anybody who paid full price for this epic fail of a machine, what were they going for, £160-£180? deary me, it has to rank up there as one of the most spectacular gaming disasters.
Why let facts get in the way of good troll eh?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:57 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:you have to feel sorry for anybody who paid full price for this epic fail of a machine, what were they going for, £160-£180? deary me, it has to rank up there as one of the most spectacular gaming disasters.
How does that work then?
As long as they got use out of it what does it matter what it sold. It's hardly in virtual boy circles where that gave you an actual headache when you used it. It was a potentially good system with admittedly poor emulation (that was largely unnoticeable to the average consumer). The mistake they made was selling it at a premium price when it wasn't a premium product. It seems rather poor show to rub salt into the wounds of those who bought it. It's hardly an epic fail of a machine, just a silly, missed opportunity.
As I said earlier, are you looking for a space to fill? Please apply by pm

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
How does that work then?
As long as they got use out of it what does it matter what it sold. It's hardly in virtual boy circles where that gave you an actual headache when you used it. It was a potentially good system with admittedly poor emulation (that was largely unnoticeable to the average consumer). The mistake they made was selling it at a premium price when it wasn't a premium product. It seems rather poor show to rub salt into the wounds of those who bought it. It's hardly an epic fail of a machine, just a silly, missed opportunity.
As I said earlier, are you looking for a space to fill? Please apply by pm
I'm with HalcyonDaze00 on this. It's a complete turkey of a system. We could (and probably should have had) an actual SoC NeoGeo, given the parties involved. Instead we got a crap emulation product.

That's the truth of it.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm with HalcyonDaze00 on this. It's a complete turkey of a system. We could (and probably should have had) an actual SoC NeoGeo, given the parties involved. Instead we got a crap emulation product.

That's the truth of it.
so are most of the gaming news sites:

failure, short lived, disaster, costly mistake, underwhelming, nail in coffin, plagued with problems etc are just some of the headlines and comments on most of the gaming sites that are now running this story, it's a disaster of a system and I don't see why anybody should have to sugar coat how bad it is.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:27 am

I loved the idea and was excited when I heard of it...and went right off it when I heard the Dodgy gaggle of companies Blaze n co were distributing it. Even ignoring the dishonest, arrogant and disaster riddled fiasco that is gamegadget, Blaze is associated with cheap junkie emulator handhelds you buy for the kids. And for that purpose they're fine. But when you're paying a premium price, you should expect, and get, a premium product.

I'll watch this space. Should it come out at a better price, and hopefully better quality, I could be interested. :)