Neo Geo X Gold

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

samhain81

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by samhain81 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:32 am

Seriously,

Are we ever going to get a peice of hardware that offers a legal and official way of emulation and obtaining roms, and manages to actually survive.

I mean, they make it pretty easy for people (especially those who invest in these machines only for them to flop) to decide to go the download route.

Slick2097

Post by Slick2097 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:18 am

Well, it seems Tommo are not giving up without a fight...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/08/tomm ... -contract/

It rumbles on.

Ste.
--
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
RetroPassion - Why not :) ?

3DS FC: 4914 - 4863 - 2799

GREENHORN

Post by GREENHORN » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Did the update improve on anything on the handheld?

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:49 pm

I genuinely think there are a small but significant band of people out there for whom the name Neo Geo has connotations not dissimilar to that which Rolls Royce has for car enthusiasts. Those people would probably pay for a genuine SNK branded product provided that a. it played games well and b. it didn't cost more than a 3DS or PS Vita.

This failed on both counts, but they should have another go because I do think the idea was sound. But to come in with a price comprable to a modern handheld is crazy, and the emulation needs to be pretty much 100% spot on. Otherwise people should just (say it with me?) - buy a PSP for £30 and install an emulator.

To be honest, I bought copies of SNK Arcade Classics and Metal Slug Anthology for Wii for under a tenner apiece. Spot-on emulation and I get a Neo Geo collection worth tens of thousands for next to nothing. If I could only find a Wii arcade stick like the one released for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom then the experience would be even more authentic.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Its not just a handheld though, you cant play two players on a tv with a psp with neogeo joysticks, again this is marketed at a niche market, its not aimed at people who know how to emulate a neogeo on android or psp or whatever, its not aimed at mainstream console or handheld gamers, its more aimed at those who want to play these old games but cant afford expensive collectables like the neogeo, and dont want the hassle or know how to emulate....which at every turn cuts the market down in size but if they make profit and continue to release game cards and system software good luck to them.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:07 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Its not just a handheld though, you cant play two players on a tv with a psp with neogeo joysticks, again this is marketed at a niche market, its not aimed at people who know how to emulate a neogeo on android or psp or whatever, its not aimed at mainstream console or handheld gamers, its more aimed at those who want to play these old games but cant afford expensive collectables like the neogeo, and dont want the hassle or know how to emulate....which at every turn cuts the market down in size but if they make profit and continue to release game cards and system software good luck to them.
The problem was the unit from what I've seen isn't that much better than the generic Megadrive handhelds you can buy for £15. The excuse for the premuim price was the docking station, but that's pretty cheap and nasty too by the looks of it. I don't see anything about this machine at all that justifies the sky-high asking price.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Whilst it is quite a high price in comparison to a vita, i dont think they could have sold it under £150 and made a profit, which by the looks probably comes more from the gamepacks.
I like the look of the dock myself, which itself could be sold for say £30, joysticks are £50 which would put the handheld at £95 which makes up the £175 asking price, the handheld is a decent spec in comparison to a dingoo, so maybe they could have sold at £150 but i doubt it would have made much difference to the sales, if you were gonna splash out £25 isnt a deal breaker.
Again its a very niche market its aiming for, i know some people who are enjoying them, everyone isnt so picky about not 100% emulated, those guys should just buy a real neogeo, this clearly isnt for them, but for those enjoying it at least it exists for them and the choice was there.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:26 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Whilst it is quite a high price in comparison to a vita, i dont think they could have sold it under £150 and made a profit, which by the looks probably comes more from the gamepacks.
I like the look of the dock myself, which itself could be sold for say £30, joysticks are £50 which would put the handheld at £95 which makes up the £175 asking price, the handheld is a decent spec in comparison to a dingoo, so maybe they could have sold at £150 but i doubt it would have made much difference to the sales, if you were gonna splash out £25 isnt a deal breaker.
Again its a very niche market its aiming for, i know some people who are enjoying them, everyone isnt so picky about not 100% emulated, those guys should just buy a real neogeo, this clearly isnt for them, but for those enjoying it at least it exists for them and the choice was there.
Well, you're right about it being a niche product. The problem is, the people who are willing to spend £150 on a device to emulate Neo Geo games are also the same people who are going to be anal enough to spot dodgy emulation. By pitching it at that price, you're basically targeting hardcore SNK fans and if they're spending a premium price they will expect a premium product. Which, IMO, this isn't.

Slick2097

Post by Slick2097 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:39 pm

killbot wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:Whilst it is quite a high price in comparison to a vita, i dont think they could have sold it under £150 and made a profit, which by the looks probably comes more from the gamepacks.
Well, you're right about it being a niche product. The problem is, the people who are willing to spend £150 on a device to emulate Neo Geo games are also the same people who are going to be anal enough to spot dodgy emulation. By pitching it at that price, you're basically targeting hardcore SNK fans and if they're spending a premium price they will expect a premium product. Which, IMO, this isn't.
Also, considering that at replay this year, you could pick up a boxed Neo Geo CD with two pads for £100 ... or walk to the other side of the arena and buy one of these for £150? I know which I (as someone who wants the premium NG experience promised by this hardware) would do... The same thing we all do with our other consoles .. buy the original hardware.

Ste.
--
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
RetroPassion - Why not :) ?

3DS FC: 4914 - 4863 - 2799

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:14 pm

The way I look at is that it's a premium price for a not so premium product, that's ultimately why it hasn't done very well. It's a cheapy emulation handheld that admittedly looks quite nice but just isn't worth the money. The problem is that yes this is a niche product and let's face it was never going to sell massively but also that it's almost preaching to the converted, the kinds of people who would be interested in this handheld are the types that are into neo geo games meaning they either already emulate most of these games on other devices or own the proper console already. It might pick up the odd few who always wanted to try the neo geo out, but in my opinion not at that price. I think selling for what £100 or so might just have been enough to see this going strong

On the breakdown of the price I really don't se eit that way, for me the dock is worth what £10 if that tops, it's a lump of plastic with a few cheap cables stuck inside and the actual console is worth way less than £95. As far as I can tell the joystick is probably worth about that assuming it can work on emulators on computers and the like.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:24 pm

For those still interested its on offer for £150 with the mega pack so a total of 36 games included, plus you can use the code GYL10 at checkout for another 10% off = £135

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:11 pm

I got the Neo Geo X and the Mega Pack for Christmas, so now I have spent some time with it I did a video review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyzDDjgA3tA

Well worth picking up in my opinion.

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:51 pm

The Laird wrote:I got the Neo Geo X and the Mega Pack for Christmas, so now I have spent some time with it I did a video review.

Watched some of it will watch the rest later.
By the way i was expecting you to be scottish by the name Laird

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Montytom wrote:
The Laird wrote:I got the Neo Geo X and the Mega Pack for Christmas, so now I have spent some time with it I did a video review.

Watched some of it will watch the rest later.
By the way i was expecting you to be scottish by the name Laird
My family is, hence the name!

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:06 am

Great video.

I still use mine at least a couple of times a week. I would advise getting a second stick though. They seem to be quite expensive now. I snagged mine from an ebay seller that sold it for £30 boxed.