Neo Geo X Gold

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:52 am

I love how you immediately get on the defensive and start listing massive explanations when you know you're being your usual aggravating self. And regardless of whether it's your opinion or not, we don't need to hear it every time someone posts something that's why everyone complains about you in the first place. You're like my eight-year old daughter. She never knows when to call it a day and instead has to go to bed without playing that game she wanted to.

Keep it up though, I hear Kleinmous is getting lonely.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:05 pm

So when is this thing being reviewed? I see its on the back cover of the latest issue again. I prefer playing games on their original hardware, so its not really for me. But imagine people will buying them out of Argos, like the many other plug and play emulator things.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 pm

It's going to be in issue 116, although we might put it up early on the blog.

I love the idea behind it, as it should be a viable alternative to the ridiculousness of the real machine, but the execution of it is sorely lacking. It's a shame because if this was about £60 with emulation on par with whats available on Neo Geo Station, I'd snap one up in a heart beat. As it stands there are far better and cheaper legal ways of playing most of the included games.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:10 pm

i like the look of the joystick, but for the money it's madness. But SNK's range of games were never my favourite, so I'm probably not target audience for this

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:26 pm

If the emulation had been spot on it would have been essential, even at the current price. After all, it would cost around £2,000 easily to get all the games on the original system. It isn't though :(

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:27 am

fingers crossed for the Retron 5 then.....

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:fingers crossed for the Retron 5 then.....
Well has anyone had a Retron system before? It could be judged from that, surely?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:29 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Well has anyone had a Retron system before? It could be judged from that, surely?
no, bad then?

In fact, are any of these new retro systems any cop?

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If the emulation had been spot on it would have been essential, even at the current price. After all, it would cost around £2,000 easily to get all the games on the original system. It isn't though :(
Even with spot-on emulation you can't defend that unnecessary "docking station"?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:57 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Given how bad the emulation was on the previous Retron systems I wouldn't hold much hope.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:58 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/25/neo-g ... -best-buy/

Well, it is already dropping in price like a rocket in the USofA... $99 for the full pack and $25 for a 2nd joystick. Almost worth it at that price!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:16 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If the emulation had been spot on it would have been essential, even at the current price. After all, it would cost around £2,000 easily to get all the games on the original system. It isn't though :(
IMO, even if emulation had been perfect, the price is a bit greedy...they are attempting to justify the price of what is simply emulated by stating how expensive the originals are, by that arguement Print copies of original artwork should be more expensive.
That said, seeing the emulation is pretty bad it's all become somewhat of a joke, with only a few hardcore Amazon reviewers defending it. And those you never know whether they are legit or not. :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 am

kiwimike wrote:
IMO, even if emulation had been perfect, the price is a bit greedy...they are attempting to justify the price of what is simply emulated by stating how expensive the originals are, by that arguement Print copies of original artwork should be more expensive.
Indeed. We see this kind of 'logic' on this forum too with some claiming that the instance of very old game ROMs priced at over £10 on current-gen console download services are a bargain because the actual real game cartridge costs more to acquire on the likes of ebay. Bizarre.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:50 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
kiwimike wrote:
Indeed. We see this kind of 'logic' on this forum too with some claiming that the instance of very old game ROMs priced at over £10 on current-gen console download services are a bargain because the actual real game cartridge costs more to acquire on the likes of ebay. Bizarre.
Yeah, probably my art comparison is a little OTT, due to art being a one off, even rare games are mass produced. Probably a more accurate comparison would be say these counterfeit handbags etc based on big name equivelents. You can't charge more for a cheap knockoff by suggesting if you went for the original it'd cost a fortune...a cheap emulated knockoff is still just that, and simply being based on something that was/is sought after in it's original form should not give them a licence to increase the markup tenfold what it should be.
Or maybe it does- I guess something is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it :)

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:11 pm

This reminds me of Ashen's review, and as he said, I'd go for the PSP if I want Neo Geo emulation on the go, which is even better. Also it's about 97% cheaper to get the PSP with Memory Stick.
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev