Neo Geo X Gold

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Neo Geo X Gold

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Did anyone get one of these in the end? We've finally received a review machine, so I'm going to give it a whirl and write a review up soon. How is everyone finding it so far?

The Laird

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 pm

I havn't been able to afford one but a couple of people over at RVG have one and they both thought it was really good so really want to try one out.

I see Ashens didn't like it but then he is a very hard man to please!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:31 pm

I saw the advert in RG and thought it looked great but the price put me off a bit as I can play all the games in other ways, but still a cool bit of kit for sure.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm

The exorbitant price, the majority of the reviews and the fact it's officially distributed here by Blaze (on the back of the utter disgrace that was the GameGadget debacle) deterred me from buying one.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:03 pm

The Ashens review was enough to put me off for life.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 pm

too damn expensive
if i want to pay prices like that ill get a real vintage neo geo
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:22 pm

snowkatt wrote:too damn expensive
Tru, but you wouldnt be able to get the included games without spending a couple of grand minimum. I like to think it would b. cheaper alternative to the real thing, but i wont know until the wife goes to bed.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:39 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:The exorbitant price, the majority of the reviews and the fact it's officially distributed here by Blaze (on the back of the utter disgrace that was the GameGadget debacle) deterred me from buying one.
Completely mirrors my feelings on it, plus I already have an AES and CDZ with a good few of those games, but even if I did not, it being handled by Blaze in any way puts me right off.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
snowkatt wrote:too damn expensive
Tru, but you wouldnt be able to get the included games without spending a couple of grand minimum. I like to think it would b. cheaper alternative to the real thing, but i wont know until the wife goes to bed.
Or get the Ps2 versions cheaper

Or dreamcast
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:49 pm

We've been speaking to pqube, not Blaze. I see the issues with the screen, it feels washed out and you have to tilt it at a certain engle to see it in the best light. Not hada chance to try via the tv yet. It's not terrible, but screens have come a long way and i've clearly been spoilt by the 3ds and vita. Also the choice of widescreen is downright bizarre. I do love the pad's stick, but t's really clicky and noisy.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Most people on NTSC UK have said you might as well just buy a PSP.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:07 pm

nakamura wrote:Most people on NTSC UK have said you might as well just buy a PSP.
I can see the reasoning for that. It's the home side i like the look of though. Neo geo statuon dried up and i likete idea of not having to have games spread across different systems.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:09 pm

adippm82 wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:The exorbitant price, the majority of the reviews and the fact it's officially distributed here by Blaze (on the back of the utter disgrace that was the GameGadget debacle) deterred me from buying one.
Completely mirrors my feelings on it, plus I already have an AES and CDZ with a good few of those games, but even if I did not, it being handled by Blaze in any way puts me right off.
I forgot to include in that list of reasons the instance of the many negative comments about the handheld from the membership of the neogeo.com forum.

Nearly every review I've read of the Neo Geo X (a device licensed by but not made by SNK Playmore, I might add) has slammed it for a whole host of reasons. Add Blaze Europe's involvment into the equation too and that's a definite no no.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
nakamura wrote:Most people on NTSC UK have said you might as well just buy a PSP.
I can see the reasoning for that. It's the home side i like the look of though. Neo geo statuon dried up and i likete idea of not having to have games spread across different systems.
I meant for emulation. I know it's against the rules but the Neo X is basically a censored emulator anyway, one you are paying for.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:15 pm

I dont personally care about what a publisher may have done in the past. If a product is good i'll buy it. If i based my purchases on how companies have responded in the past i'd have stopped buying games machines back in the eighties, because they all done pretty deplorable stuff.

As for the emulation, it seems pretty ood so far. Jot had. Chance to try the tv version yet though.