the most disappointing game of the current gen

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jay

Re: the most dissapointing game of the current gen

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:28 am

I love Street Fighter x Tekken :D Especially now they've patched most of the issues.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:40 am

Nights 2 - Wii, I've ranted how awful this is before.

Ninja Gaiden 3 - Not terrible but not great either.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:43 am

slacey1070 wrote:A series from me... CoD... Still stuck in the same place after how,many years? It's fun, but it hasn't moved on.
It won't move when every new version makes more money than a Hollywood blockbuster movie. Whilst the people behind the games know they are going to coin it in changes will be minimal.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:52 am

Kane & Lynch. I remember the hype surrounding this and it turned to be very meh. I still liked the prison break in bit though :P

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:04 am

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2. Sweet Zombie Jesus! I loved Episode 1, but this blundered big-time with some uninteresting level design, uninspired music and some downright rubbish co-op gimmicks with Sonic and Tails. Strange as it is to think now, but this was a major factor in me deciding to buy an XBox 360...

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:39 am

gman72 wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:A series from me... CoD... Still stuck in the same place after how,many years? It's fun, but it hasn't moved on.
It won't move when every new version makes more money than a Hollywood blockbuster movie. Whilst the people behind the games know they are going to coin it in changes will be minimal.
Don't disagree at all - hence my "most disappointing" tag - they aren't BAD - but every year is just another map pack and a short campaign mode that you can polish off before the turkey is served on Christmas day.

Money for old rope really.

What is it about gamers than makes them so averse to change??
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:08 am

the price tag ?
when something costs you 40 50 or 60 a pop to try new things you sooner or later wil get burned and become averse to change
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:43 am

snowkatt wrote:the price tag ?
when something costs you 40 50 or 60 a pop to try new things you sooner or later wil get burned and become averse to change
But surely there is no reason to be burnt by titles anymore? Theres enough information on the net for you to make a decision on whether something is worth it or not.

Personally, I can't think of much worse than playing the same game year on year... wheres the fun in that?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:17 am

slacey1070 wrote:
gman72 wrote:
Don't disagree at all - hence my "most disappointing" tag - they aren't BAD - but every year is just another map pack and a short campaign mode that you can polish off before the turkey is served on Christmas day.

Money for old rope really.

What is it about gamers than makes them so averse to change??
Dude, the people behind COD are running business, a very lucrative business, and as long as they are making a huge ammount of money with every new version of the game they are not going to make massive changes to what to them is a winning formula. We both know that every COD is basically the same game every time with minimal changes and expensive map packs, but while the masses are buying they aren't gonna be changing much. I can understand why you don't like the franchise but I don't expect it to switch gears anytime soon.
I don't think it's the gamers that adverse to change :D .
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 am

Oh yeah - I know its a business.... a very successful one at that....!

I don't dislike CoD - its fun for a couple of weeks - just disappointing that its always the same.

Without going off topic, I wonder if gamers will ever tire of CoD?

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 am

Nautical Rudie wrote:Zelda Twilight Princess for me, looks nice but its just so dull somehow. The terrible wolf bits and dodgy motion control fishing didn't help either. I enjoyed it so little I still haven't picked up Skward Sword, and I love Zelda to bits.
Took me 3 goes to get on with this game and I ended up really liking it. Motion control is poor in it though.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:07 am

nakamura wrote:
Nautical Rudie wrote:Zelda Twilight Princess for me, looks nice but its just so dull somehow. The terrible wolf bits and dodgy motion control fishing didn't help either. I enjoyed it so little I still haven't picked up Skward Sword, and I love Zelda to bits.
Took me 3 goes to get on with this game and I ended up really liking it. Motion control is poor in it though.
Probably best off with the Gamecube version then? I played TP when we first got our Wii and really enjoyed it, though i do agree the motion controls were pointless for anything other than the archery.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 pm

gman72 wrote:I don't think it's the gamers that adverse to change :D .
Gamers are absolutely averse to change. Gamers who have had a good experience with a game want a repeat of that experience with the next game. They want more of the same but at the same time they don't want exactly the same. Which is why the successful franchises move forwards in small increments when it comes to change. The Call Of Duty franchise is not alone in this so it's a bit biased to single it out, and all of us on here have moaned at some time or another about how a new installment in a franchise has changed too much and lost some of its initial appeal (Final Fantasy and Resident Evil attract a lot of flak for such things on here). We're all guilty of perpetuating the risk averse nature of the gaming business.
Gamers talk a lot about innovation and new gameplay and all that stuff but the reality is that gamers generally don't want that. They want the same thing over and over with just enough new elements to keep it interesting. The Call Of Duty franchise is the current master of this. Each entry in the series is different enough to keep the majority of its fanbase happy while retaining enough of the things that kept them happy during the previous incarnation of the game.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

gman72

Re: the most disappointing game of the current gen

Post by gman72 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 pm

I was refering to the COD franchise. To reiterate my point; as long as they keep selling stupidly huge ammounts the games won't be changing much any time soon.

Negative Creep

Re: the most disappointing game of the current gen

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:04 pm

At first I was going to say Duke Nukem Forever. I was hoping for a return to the traditional FPS, not for retaining the very worst elements (first person jumping and last gen graphics and physics engine). The humour was once risque but now seemed horribly dated, like an old nightclub comedian still trying to make jokes about gays and women drivers. Then they decide to destroy the balance by introducing a 2 weapon limit and regenerating health, two of my most hated aspects of modern shooters. So instead of charging around like the bad ass you're supposed to be most of the time is spent cowering behind cover. But, deep down we all knew it would be a bit crap. After such a protracted development and so many companies we simply weren't going to get the next Half Life.

So I'm going to go for Fable 3. The first two were flawed diamonds, with frequent moments of brilliance intertwined with infuriating flaws. At firs the third one looks promising, with lovely graphics (screen tearing aside), excellent design and voice acting. But they dumbed it down by making magic even more overpowered resulting in a game so easy I didn't die once on my first playthrough, fewer character customisation and regeneration options, regenerating health (arghhhh) and quite the worst map I've ever seen in a RPG. The so called major choices actually make little difference, and the whole good/evil decisions as ruler make little sense. Maybe it's just me, but if you told your subjects an unspeakable evil was going to invade us in 12 months, they'd accept some tax rises and a few tress being chopped down. The end game also appears from absolutely nowhere leaving you completely unprepared on your first playthrough unless you've read a guide.