the most disappointing game of the current gen

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

the most disappointing game of the current gen

Post by snowkatt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:16 am

whats in your opinion the most disappointing game or even games of the current gen
be it new
or a re re re re re re re re re release of an old game
anything goes

personally some of the games i have been most dissapointed in were damnation which had an interest steam punk premise and then just went to crap the moment you played it with a fiddely camera unresponsive controls dull gameplay
the only thing it did well was the graphics

dirt 3
it took everything what made dirt 2 good and ignored it
instead it went for the gimmicky events and it was more about events and less about actual rallying
dirt 2 at least was 90 % concerned with actually rallying

dragon age 2 : i alreayd didnt like 1 and 2 was even worse
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

JazzFunk

Re: the most dissapointing game of the current gen

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:08 am

Soldier Of Fortune: Payback. Was soooooooo expecting this to be oodles of ultragory superfun like the previous two games but instead get a very short, steaming turd with terrible level design, so-so gameplay, inaccurate-feeling gunplay, not-even-THAT-fun gore, it just sucks proper arse and is the most disappointing game I've played on current gen platforms so far! :(

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:18 am

Rampage Total Destruction on the Wii.

A potentially brilliant game totally ruined by crappy motion controls.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 am

Dishonored

I didnt give it much of a chance but the opening was boring and combat felt inferior to games like Bioshock/Oblivion. Killing enemies had no impact and thats a big factor for me. Pushing a sword through an enemy with little to no feedback or decent sound effect completely put me off. Little things like that can ruin a game for me. Kinda like an FPS with poor sounding guns, that'll do it too.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 am

Loads of people told me how great and hilarious Naughty Bear was. Then I played it. Oh dear.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:15 am

killbot wrote:Loads of people told me how great and hilarious Naughty Bear was. Then I played it. Oh dear.
i wouldnt call it great but i did think it was funny how it meshed a narrator that seems to stepped right out of childrens tv with the brutal killing of teddy bears

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:19 am

From a look at the PS3 and Wii games on my shelf I'd have to say PES 2008 on PS3. What were Konami thinking... :roll:

Other contenders would be the single player/grand prix mode of Mario Kart Wii and the snoozefest that was Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 with it's godawful textures despite it having taken forever to make.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:25 am

That I have played

Crackdown 2 -
Lets take the first one and make a almost the same sequal, take out gangs, put in zombies and defend X bits.

Deus EX HR -
Lets take out the "Doing it your own way" and force you to play "Hide and kill", the first two you could "Do it ninja style" or "Blow censored up"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:47 am

GTA IV

I wouldn't say it's terrible, but it's rather unimaginative and buggy. Still, how could it fail to disappoint after all that hype and those rubber stamped 100% reviews?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:50 am

Matt_B wrote:GTA IV

I wouldn't say it's terrible, but it's rather unimaginative and buggy. Still, how could it fail to disappoint after all that hype and those rubber stamped 100% reviews?

i didnt like gta 4 either
it was just so dull and unimaginative and it took it self too seriously
bellic was an unlikable and uncharosmatic bore of a lead character too

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:57 pm

First game that comes to mind, is one of the few games that was coming out that I had high hopes for, but felt flat when i played it. And that was Aliens Vs Predator. I was hyped for weeks watching previews, and then when i played it, it was frustrating.

But someone reminded me about Crackdown 2. I loved the first game, and i played it for hours until my save file was corrupted, the 2nd game just didn't feel the same. The zombie/mutants killed it for me, I loved the simple gameplay for taking down gangs one key member at a time until there fortrace was weak enough to destroy. The 2nd game just threw to much at the wall, and nothing stuck. But then again people would of crapped all over the game, if it had the same style as the first game, but i would of loved it.

Burnout Paradise was a huge dissapointment. I can kind of enjoy it in little doses now and then. But it was very frustrating, and rage quit inducing.

ulala

Post by ulala » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Uncharted 3

I loved the first two games, and was really looking forward to this.

But game 3 just seemed to have the same black suited enemy repeated/ respawned over and over and over again. It destroyed all the enjoyment for me.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Probably Zelda skyward sword. It is by no means a bad game but it was a disappointment for me, the only 3D Zelda I didn't finish. Resident evil 6 is right up there too, but by the time it came out I'd already prepared for the worst. I suppose disappointment depends on what your expectations of the game are.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:28 pm

DPrinny wrote: Deus EX HR -
Lets take out the "Doing it your own way" and force you to play "Hide and kill", the first two you could "Do it ninja style" or "Blow censored up"
You can definitely play through Deus EX HR "ninja style" or "blow stuff up". Just saying.

My choices would be The Walking Dead by Telltale. More for the fact that it just doesn't live up to the hype and fan gushing. I went into it expecting a genuine gaming revelation and got all manner of meh. On forums everywhere where there's people complaining about games being dumbed down for the masses here's the ultimate game that's dumbed down for the masses being inexplicably welcomed with open arms by all and sundry because some of the characters are realised to an above average level for video games. At most it's a decent media "experience". As a "game" it's sh1t and really not the direction I'd like to see the point and click genre moving towards. Or any genre for that matter, all storytelling style and no gameplay substance. It left me entirely cold.

And also Retro City Rampage. It took too long to arrive. It's up its own arse. It's the usual indie mess you get when a single author is involved who has no discipline. On my part I let myself look forward to it too much and expected too much of it despite all the warning signs during the lengthy development and excessive overhyping. A lesson (re)learned.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Street Fighter X Tekken

Should have been the greatest crossover ever but turned out fairly underwhelming. Glitched online play for months, overdose on mechanics and the on disc DLC debacle.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!