Is "Pit-Fighter" the worst..

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Re: Is "Pit-Fighter" the worst..

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Pit fighter is no where near the worst. I actually quite liked it, and like others have said the MD version wasn't bad either. By no means a classic, but ffs there way worse than pit fighter out there. I want to add last battle to the mix but its a scroller. But if ever there was a true example of pure $hit then last battle is it.

Eat your nans pants

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:19 pm

crusto wrote:Pit fighter is no where near the worst. I actually quite liked it, and like others have said the MD version wasn't bad either. By no means a classic, but ffs there way worse than pit fighter out there. I want to add last battle to the mix but its a scroller. But if ever there was a true example of pure $hit then last battle is it.
Oh god yes. It was one of the first MD games I ever bought, and loved it at the time (I was ten, mind). But, urgh, rubbish graphics, horrid gameplay and crap music and sound effects didn't help either. Makes Rise of the Robots look like Street Fighter II!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:21 pm

crusto wrote:Pit fighter is no where near the worst. I actually quite liked it, and like others have said the MD version wasn't bad either. By no means a classic, but ffs there way worse than pit fighter out there. I want to add last battle to the mix but its a scroller. But if ever there was a true example of pure $hit then last battle is it.
^have to disagree, had a lot of fun with the Jap versh, but it DID have blood...Sword Of Sodan on MD is a much more appropriate choice, if we're talking scrolling hack n' slashers, makes Last Battle look like SOR2, it's total f*cking sh!t!!!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 pm

JazzFunk wrote:One of the worst on MD was 'Fat Man' AKA "Tongue Of The Fatman", though it has interesting graphics and sorta reminds me of the old cartoon, 'Galaxy High' for some reason.
"Galaxy High - The Game"
That's made me want to play it now!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Has anyone played Guardians of the Hood? - an "un-official sequel" of sorts, although it has a different cast and is now a scrolling fighter.

The first video I found on youtube (link below) came with the following opening statement :

This game is so bad... It NEVER got a sequel

If you can watch this whole video...Your a legend or a nutcase!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsGKtt5o94

I played it once and had to re-evaluate the meaning of life immediately after.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:53 pm

What happened to the worst games polls that were running btw?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:56 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:"Galaxy High - The Game"
That's made me want to play it now!
THB, if you ever find the soundtrack for that show, drop us a PM, been searching high and low for it for AGES!!!!! :wink:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:57 pm

What happened to the worst games polls that were running btw?
kickboxingshrimp vanished again

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:35 pm

The only version I've played is the Master System one which is widely regarded as the worst conversion and it still isn't the worst fighter I've ever played. Dangerous Streets anyone?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:08 pm

^Yeah, mentioned that one. Made Oscar (which came on the same CD) seem like a Shigeru Miyamoto game.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:10 am

Not while bootleggers try to pour a quart into a pint pot, it's not.
At least I've extracted a modicum of enjoyment from the arcade and Lynx versions of Pit-Fighter, whereas trying to play a NES version of a complex, sophisticated, nuanced Capcom or SNK fighter put together by unscrupulous sorts is pure pain.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:23 am

It's pretty bad but not the worst for sure. I would rather play Rise of the Robots mind, at least that is visually nice.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:34 am

I've always found it to be a pretty solid game. Thought Rise Of The Robots was far worse!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Time Killers in easily the worst arcade fighter to eat my hard earned pocket money. I never did fall for Pit Fighter's "charm".

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:09 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:An average fighter. Having played games for 30+ years, I've come across much worse.

Try Highlander on the Speccy if you want to play a REALLY crap fighter,
This. Had it for my Amstrad and can confirm it is turd on the CPC too, not only is it clunky and boring but it has the dubious pleasure of being the only game to give me migraines. Some games can make my headaches worse but this turd had sound so bad it caused headaches :x Pure. Fricken. Evil.
DoraemonTheCat wrote:Has anyone played Guardians of the Hood? - an "un-official sequel" of sorts, although it has a different cast and is now a scrolling fighter.

The first video I found on youtube (link below) came with the following opening statement :

This game is so bad... It NEVER got a sequel
I want to play this. It has some visual gags and might be fun (sort of). Is it mameable?