Remember renting video games from the video shop?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stayAwhile

Re: Remember renting video games from the video shop?

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 pm

I would love to find ex rental ps1 games with the black labors and the blue plastic cases brings back memories
This guy are sick

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:56 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:'Remember renting video games from the video shop?'

Nope. I've never rented a videogame from a 'video shop' or any other source.
Nor me. I don't know anyone who did, either.

About the nearest I got to this was swapping/loaning VCS carts, Speccy/C64 games, Amiga disks etc.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Used to be a Arcade that rented Atari 2600 games they had these glass cases of the Game boxes of what they had but everything I wanted like Bezserk was always rented out!!! Always seemed to be the same few games Spiderman, Outlaw etc, did get them to hold a few games back for me like Pitfall etc..

These also had some arcade games I never saw anywhere again a Monkey Magic game and another game where a Giant Monkey falls on you, and a game with a VW Beetle jump over buildings and shooting skulls and Jesters.. You then went into a cave and shot bats
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:55 pm

I used to rent all the time from my local Blockbuster.

When they started selling off the SNES games I think I must've spent every spare penny that I couldn't afford buying up half of their stock... :lol:

Sadly once the PS2 came out their selection started getting really REALLY poor - I've not rented a game out of there in years now. They do still have some though (A few PS3 and Xbox 360 titles, with perhaps 10 "rent or buy" Wii titles, 5 DS "rent or buy", and probably the same for the 3DS...
Where logic won't work, I will

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:27 pm

seem to remember blockbuster doing it, but i'm sure they started off with a different name? ritz seems familiar?

Didnt rent much as they were expensive and inevitably it was difficult to get the md games they had (I seem to remember renting test drive 2 for example, which I think is a pain to get even now let alone pre internet.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:23 am

flatapex wrote:seem to remember blockbuster doing it, but i'm sure they started off with a different name? ritz seems familiar?.
Yeah Ritz were bought out by blockbuster in the 90s. The woman next door was an area manager for Ritz and she used to get a shed load of freebies and I got a fair amount of them. Usually t shirts, mugs etc. And they had the "preview" copies of the latest films, and she used to give me them. I remember I got Short Curcuit 2 ages before it came out on video and I think I lent that film to about every kid in my school.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:22 pm

I was in college in Sligo back in '92 and had a Megadrive and later a Snes, used to head for a grotty little video shop near the train station to rent games, got my first taste of Batman Returns there!
Buying games was equally bizarre, the toy section upstairs in a small dept store had a few MD and Snes games under glass, bought the worthless Thunderforce II there, no returning it either when it turned out to be sh1te!
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!

Katamario

Post by Katamario » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 am

I remember renting an N64 from Blockbuster just so I could play Goldeneye. That was awesome. I did own a Ps1 tho and used to rent tonsa games for that, as well. Battletanx, Twisted Metal... Me and my friends would rent 1 movie and 1 game when we did sleepovers, and we always rented the stupidest games like WCW and stuff. My friend used to rent games all the time and beat them within the 5 days of renting them, that used to blow my mind. He beat Silent Hill in about 3 days. Now I can usually plow thru a game in maybe a week or less, if I really sit down and cram it, so I get it but back then it blew my mind.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:45 am

I remember a independent video store just off walton vale in liverpool but not sure if they did games but remember they had loads of videos(in those cardboard slipcases) and we also used to have a "video-man" who came round in a van and you would rent videos of him and i rented mortal kombat the movie and kombat begins
This guy are sick

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:52 pm

I have very fond memories of renting games back in the Master System/ Mega Drive era.

I used to rent from the local called Astra Video, I think prices were £2 for 2 nights usually.

I rented pretty much every Master System game they had in stock, I had issues with trying to save so every time I got a bit of pocket money I would rent a game rather than save towards a game. Some games I rented multiple time. I rented Putt & Putter lots of times, perhaps 6 or 7 times!

When the they stopped doing games they sold them all off and I bought the Putt & Putter I had rented many times, I think it was £7. It's still the one in my collection and has the little rental stickers on the cart, box and manual.. It is the most sentimental item in my collection.