Jeff Minter working on a Vita game. TxK

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Swainy

Re: Jeff Minter working on a Vita game. TxK

Post by Swainy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:34 am

What time is this expected to hit the store?
http://retroasylum.com
The UK's No.1 Retro Gaming Podcast

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:58 am

PaulEMoz wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:Love Tempest, Love my Vita and am a Minter fan (I'll forget about his utterly miserable twitter feed though). Should be good. Just don't make it £12.99 or something mental Jeff.
Don't know UK prices, but the launch price is $7.99, rising to $9.99 after week 1.
cool, thanks - hopefully be similar (or less give exchange rate) here

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:10 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I have to admit I have never been that much of a fan of Minter. Everyone who loves him goes on about dreativity etc etc, but if he was an actual software house he would be one of the worst for rehasing ideas and doing updates.
Think Jeff basically just creates games he loves to play and thankfully most of the time folks like myself can really appreciate what he's done.My 'gaming life' would have been far less richer without Hover Bovver, AMC, Llamatron and Tempest 2000 (Irdis Alpha, whilst i did'nt take too personally, i could appreciate), but on flipside, Defender 2, Mama Llama, Space Giraffe and Defender 2000 i personally found awful (sadly only discovered that about Defender 2000 after buying new, full price).

His light synth stuff as well has always been superb.

I'm hoping at some point down the line Jeff does something on PS4, maybe that canned Star raiders-esq Falcon game you talked about Jeff?.

Think his variations on Tempest have run the ground now, really looking forward to the Vita/PC game, but just want to see him try his hand at something new for him.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:22 am

I thought this was gonna be on the store today, but no joy :(
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:45 am

It's only just happened but I'm kind of hyped about this now.

I loved Tempest 2000 and Space Giraffe (until Jeff patched it and ruined it with bad collision detection). I've got high hopes for this one.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:03 am

Lost Dragon wrote:Think his variations on Tempest have run the ground now
Agreed.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:32 am

gman72 wrote:I thought this was gonna be on the store today, but no joy :(
Playstation Store updates on Wednesday's at a random time so the game will be up sometime Wednesday probably early afternoon going by past updates. Can't wait to play this myself, hopefully it'll pull me away from Olli Olli for a day or two!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Snagged a review code. Worked my way up to level 18 before the game overwhelmed me a bit. It really is Tempest. As much as there's supposedly a twist to the gameplay, it's clearly just Tempest with some nice power ups. But it looks great, it sounds fantastic and is a lot of fun to play.

A couple of things I don't like. The bonus warp ring levels. The controls scupper you pretty quickly. Also, I tend to lose all my lives when you get an awkward level shape that makes the controls feel reversed. Just like Space Giraffe.

But overall it's really good.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:38 pm

It's amazing. Fantastic game.

Mentski

Post by Mentski » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:11 pm

As great as TxK is I get the distinct feeling Jeff saw the Marmite reception of Space Giraffe and thought he had to dial it back a bit to appeal to more people.

I freaking loved Space Giraffe... I even had the 4th place high score until somebody found a very exploitable bug which ruined the highscores, leading to a patch and a leaderboard wipe. By that point I had trouble getting back into it again to reclaim my place.
A beard with an idiot hanging off it, Writes about videogames when the apathy isn't kicking in.
http://www.rosetintedgamers.com - http://www.youtube.com/mentski

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:21 pm

To be fair, though, I think that's exactly what he needed to do. It's great that he makes what he wants, and TxK is definitely what he wants, but he's gotta eat too, and a bit more mass appeal is a good thing. It's still indisputably a Llamasoft game, but it can and should appeal to almost anybody. With the reviews it's getting, it's possible that it could take off and be a massive hit, especially at that price point. I hope it is, he's paid his dues in the industry for sure and deserves some decent reward.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:21 pm

TxK is a cracking game.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

garyliddon

Post by garyliddon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:22 am

It's probably the best thing he's made. Absolutely amazing and beautiful balance between accessibility and core arcade gaming.

I loved SG to bits but can completely understand why it was divisive. There doesn't seem to be that issue with TxK.

I hope this gives him a chance to do more console stuff

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:12 am

What are the significant differences between this and T2K? I can see the bonus rounds have changed, but what else is new?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:15 am

It is great. Only things I'd change are the rings bonus levels (they suck) and it needs persistent leaderboard integration so you can see where you are in the leaderboard at all times and who is next to beat.

Aside from that, it's another fantastic reason to own a Vita.