Jeff Minter working on a Vita game. TxK

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Morkin

Jeff Minter working on a Vita game. TxK

Post by Morkin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Secondly, we are happy to announce that we have just begun work on a new game for the Playstation Vita. I’m very grateful to Shahid Ahmad at Sony for the opportunity; he’s a man on a mission to bring a ton of indie talent to the Vita and we’re fortunate enough to have been invited to the party. And cheers to Gary Liddon from Ruffian, who gently nudged us in the direction of this exciting opportunity.
In considering what we could do on the Vita I was thinking about the various things we’ve done with Gridrunner over the years. Super Gridrunner on the ST and Amiga, Gridrunner++ on PocketPC, Gridrunner Revolution on the PC – all good games without a doubt, each more complex than the next. But the best version? I think that’s the recent iOS (and now Android) version. To make that I went back to the core design of the game, and made a new version in that same spirit – modern enough to be satisfying to today’s players, but true to the design of the original game.

And so that brings us to our new project – TxK on the Playstation Vita.

We’re going to base it on the essence of the original T2K. It’ll be the pure, straightforward shooter that maybe you hoped for when you first saw Space Giraffe. We’re not going to overload you with ultra psychedelia, but we will make it fluid and colourful and awesome-looking on the Vita’s delicious, vibrant OLED screen. We’re going to give you a perfect treat for your eyes, ears and thumbs with a modern extrapolation of one of the best shooters ever made on hardware that’s just perfectly suited for it, and in a way that retains the purity of the original design.

It’s going to be *awesome* .
http://minotaurproject.co.uk/blog/?p=372
Last edited by Morkin on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPrinny

Re: Jeff Minter working on a Vita game.

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:38 pm

He always did like to support systems with few games of worth

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm

An updated version of Atari Jaguar's utterly sublime Tempest 2000 appearing on PS Vita? :D :o :D :o :D :o

Damn that Minter bloke! Llamasoft making games on iOS gave me the final nudge to buy an iPhone and now if this new game's any good I'll have little option but to buy Sony's current handheld too. Stop bankrupting me, Minter! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:00 pm

DPrinny wrote:He always did like to support systems with few games of worth
Well, he did make games for the C16, Konix, Jaguar, Falcon and Nuon. So, does this finally mean that the Vita is doomed? :lol:

Seriously, I'd think this is another indication that it's turning the corner, and good luck to him.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Matt_B wrote:
DPrinny wrote:He always did like to support systems with few games of worth
Well, he did make games for the C16, Konix, Jaguar, Falcon and Nuon. So, does this finally mean that the Vita is doomed? :lol:

Seriously, I'd think this is another indication that it's turning the corner, and good luck to him.
I agree the system is clawing it back, there may be few games but there is some quality in those releases. One of the best handhelds I've ever purchased.

Great news he could have just plopped out an enhanced port of Space Giraffe and I'd have been very happy! :D

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Well hopefully this will work out commercially for him. I wouldn't mind an update to T2K that ditched the visual excesses of Space Giraffe but I'll have to admit I can't see it being a killer app that would make me buy a Vita. A bit of success on that platform might see the game ported to other formats though. Maybe he should try and snaffle a Wii U devkit too if Nintendo are genuinely giving them out to indies.

Edit: Minter's posted this on yakyak,
It'll be Vita exclusive for 3 months, then we'll release PC and Mac versions. Maybe iOS, we'll see.
so it's happy days for me. I'll be getting the PC version. :D
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:35 pm

The Beans wrote:... Edit: Minter's posted this on yakyak,
It'll be Vita exclusive for 3 months, then we'll release PC and Mac versions. Maybe iOS, we'll see.
so it's happy days for me. I'll be getting the PC version. :D
Cool! I'll be getting the PC version too then. Saved at the last from handing Sony my money, lol.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:50 pm

gmintyfresh wrote: I agree the system is clawing it back, there may be few games but there is some quality in those releases. One of the best handhelds I've ever purchased.

Great news he could have just plopped out an enhanced port of Space Giraffe and I'd have been very happy! :D
Its in the same bracket as the NeoGeo pocket

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:35 am

I hope this is the start of Minter supporting the Vita with more games. His iOs games have all been excellent from what I played so I'll be picking this one up on day one.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:51 am

DPrinny wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote: I agree the system is clawing it back, there may be few games but there is some quality in those releases. One of the best handhelds I've ever purchased.

Its in the same bracket as the NeoGeo pocket
Hmm I can see some similarities, the problem with the pocket was the lack of variety in the software released - If you like fighting games you were sorted. I suppose at the core both are very accomplished consoles for their respective times, don't write of the Vita just yet though.

gman72

Re: Jeff Minter working on a Vita game. TxK

Post by gman72 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Excellent. Ive been waiting for this. 8)
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Love Tempest, Love my Vita and am a Minter fan (I'll forget about his utterly miserable twitter feed though). Should be good. Just don't make it £12.99 or something mental Jeff.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:30 pm

I have to admit I have never been that much of a fan of Minter. Everyone who loves him goes on about dreativity etc etc, but if he was an actual software house he would be one of the worst for rehasing ideas and doing updates.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Love Tempest, Love my Vita and am a Minter fan (I'll forget about his utterly miserable twitter feed though). Should be good. Just don't make it £12.99 or something mental Jeff.
Don't know UK prices, but the launch price is $7.99, rising to $9.99 after week 1.