What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:58 pm

sonic91 wrote:
sscott wrote:Also playing Sonic 2 though I can't stand the 'chemical' level.
You'll learn to love hating it! I enjoy that zone, only because I hate it so much!
Whats wrong with the Chemical Plant Zone? I love that level, I though it was fantastic!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:24 am

I was frustrated with that zone for months when I first played the game at age 8, so although I love it now there's still a part of me that hates it (but in a good way!) :)
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:26 am

sonic91 wrote:I was frustrated with that zone for months when I first played the game at age 8, so although I love it now there's still a part of me that hates it (but in a good way!) :)
Makes sense, I'm like that with a few acts as well with the gamegear version, I must play it through again to see if I've gotten any better. I just thought it looked so cool when it first came out, and I loved the music to bits!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:30 am

The music from the Sonic games is the best video game music, IMHO. I used to have some of it on my MP3 player. Really reminds me of my childhood, playing the games when they were brand new.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:03 am

sonic91 wrote:The music from the Sonic games is the best video game music, IMHO. I used to have some of it on my MP3 player. Really reminds me of my childhood, playing the games when they were brand new.
I'll say, for me Sonic 2 has the best music in the series. I love the whole soundtrack, I also like the fact Sega kept the music to Hidden Palace even though the level was gotten rid of :cry:

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:36 am

ShadowMan wrote:for me Sonic 2 has the best music in the series.
Neat thing: on Metropolis Zone, the background music has a record scratch sound effect in it, and if you pause the game when the scratch sound is playing, it sounds as if the needle is being dragged off the record!

I discovered that by accident when I was a kid, and I've never heard anyone else pick up on it. A quirk of the sound program or a little amusement put in for fun?...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:25 am

Just bought PGR4.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:28 am

After a week with not much chance to game, finally got to sit down and play Portal yesterday. Great little game, but little is the operative word - I finished the main story mode in about 2 hours of playtime (although I do have to check out the bonus levels)

Still, I had more fun with it than the 7 hours of Bioshock I played.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:32 am

New Simpsons game demo on PS3 - its not bad!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:21 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
sonic91 wrote:The music from the Sonic games is the best video game music, IMHO. I used to have some of it on my MP3 player. Really reminds me of my childhood, playing the games when they were brand new.
I'll say, for me Sonic 2 has the best music in the series. I love the whole soundtrack, I also like the fact Sega kept the music to Hidden Palace even though the level was gotten rid of :cry:
Funnily enough, on the beta version of Sonic 2 the music for Hidden Palace Zone is the same as the Metropolis music. Maybe the music everyone thinks is for Hidden Palace (sound test no. 10) was used in a very early beta, but I've never played a beta or a hack in which it is.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:12 am

sonic91 wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
Funnily enough, on the beta version of Sonic 2 the music for Hidden Palace Zone is the same as the Metropolis music. Maybe the music everyone thinks is for Hidden Palace (sound test no. 10) was used in a very early beta, but I've never played a beta or a hack in which it is.
Who knows, I wish Sega would re-release sonic 2 and put the Hidden Palace zone back in, I would love to see that happen. No chance but I can hope can't I? (I'm still hoping for Shenmue 3......)

And at the moment I'm getting back to Tomb Raider and Finishing off KOF Maximum Impact and Metroid 2 (just the queen left).
I've Started playing Megaman X2 and Megaman 7 for the Snes and hope to actually beat shredder on the nes TMHT game.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:30 am

Beta-testing a DS game... sweet!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

daynum

Post by daynum » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:06 am

Eternal Darkness for Gamecube and Monster Party for NES. Getting in that Halloween mood.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:08 am

merman wrote:Beta-testing a DS game... sweet!
How do you get to be a beta tester? And also, what is the game you're testing?

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:12 am

SirClive wrote:Just bought PGR4.
Me too. And it's brilliant. I just got promoted, I was ranked 60th or something, and anyway Nuremberg, in the snow, with a 1950s racer listening to Beethoven's something or other. I nearly wept for joy. It's like being there. I'm going to race it again, but this time I'm lugging in one of the portable air-con units, setting it to uber-chill and dreaming away. :)

I've had 2 next gen moments this week. This (PGR4) and Ratchet and clank demo on the PS3. My socks are still up against the skirting board.

I love gaming :)