What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Played some fighting games today (surprise surprise). First up, Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Still trying to buy everything from the shop before I leave it alone for a bit but it's taking some time. At least I really like this game, definitely one of my favourite fighting games of all time.

Next I moved onto KOF 2002 and then KOF 2003. The latter feels a bit better than the former but neither really impressed me truth be told. I was always under the impression that 2K2 was one of the better games so I dug my promo copy out to finally play it and it just feels cheap. And the menus/presentation? Ugh...

Hopefully somebody can confirm that the Unlimited Match update is much better?

Anyway, I finally moved onto King of Fighters XI, a game that I really like but always end up hating at the end of a play session all because of Magaki, definitely my suggestion for the worst boss of all-time in any game. Shion isn't much better either. It's still one of the better KOF games though (I've played all the main games aside from '99 and XII) and only beaten by '96 and 2000 in my opinion.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Wed May 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Megamixer wrote: Next I moved onto KOF 2002 and then KOF 2003. The latter feels a bit better than the former but neither really impressed me truth be told. I was always under the impression that 2K2 was one of the better games so I dug my promo copy out to finally play it and it just feels cheap. And the menus/presentation? Ugh...
I'm no KOF expert (the first one I played seriously was NeoWave, which singles me out if you ask the hardcore crowd!) but I suspect 2K2 is an apparent favourite because of the wider selection of characters (although King, Geese, Goenitz and Shingo are locked away initially, and they're all a pain to unlock) what with it being a dream battle and all that. You're right, though- it does feel incredibly cheap, especially the health bars. Outside the game, the main menus are awful on all the SNK ports from that period (SNK Vs. Capcom uses the same one with the same annoying sounds).

As for me...
Starsweep (PS1) - Don't be fooled by the generic Midas cover on this game- this is digital crack! A puzzle game with vague similarities to Tetris Attack, every time I play it I find myself two hours later wondering where all that time went. Very infectious!
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Tepid Snake wrote: As for me...
Starsweep (PS1) - Don't be fooled by the generic Midas cover on this game- this is digital crack! A puzzle game with vague similarities to Tetris Attack, every time I play it I find myself two hours later wondering where all that time went. Very infectious!
It's too bad your site is just for bad games because I'd love to see you do a feature on obscure-but-good games; you seem to have a knack for finding them!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Jumpin' 'tween Ar Tonelico II, Lemmings and good ol' Pokemon Yellow.
Also, I beat Project Zero II recently, and am tempted to start on III. Does it shape up to the other two well?

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Wed May 05, 2010 2:54 pm

3rd Stike with Akuma.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Wed May 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Megamixer wrote: It's too bad your site is just for bad games because I'd love to see you do a feature on obscure-but-good games; you seem to have a knack for finding them!
The name is a bit misleading, because every game is fair game- I think at this point I've covered more good games than bad :lol: Starsweep is definitely one I want to cover, though, because a) it is awesome and b) there's a load of weird regional differences between the US, Japanese and PAL releases (including some very unfortunate translation errors) but it'll have to wait.

The game is actually a bit of a cult favourite, and it even has a site for playing against people online, despite receiving a generic cover that tells you nothing about the game. You can always rely on Midas for that!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 05, 2010 3:12 pm

That's a horrendous cover...are Midas and 505 in some sort of evil syndicate for producing cryptic packaging/manuals I wonder...?

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed May 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Halo Reach beta.

Good fun still the same old Halo really.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu May 06, 2010 2:01 am

Pilotwings 64 and it's STILL amazing.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Thu May 06, 2010 2:35 am

Been playing FIFA World Cup 2010 lately. Trying hard to learn manual controls, which makes the game much better (and a lot tougher at first). It really IS manual control, everything is done with you in control. No bullshit assistance an stuff like that. The only thing is the ball isn't loose like in the old games, which would be too hard in a 3D football game anyway.

It kinda reminds me of old 2D football games like Sensible Soccer or Kick Off. Every mistake is your own fault.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu May 06, 2010 5:43 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was playing some Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the GC last night. My god! For some reason I used to like this game on the DC, and while it does have a couple of nice stages (City Escape and the Metal Harbour in particular) the rest are f***ing abysmal.

Funnily enough I read the other day that if Mario 64 was judged by today's standards then it would have a broken camera allegedly (I don't agree) but that is NOTHING compared to what's going on in this abortion. It's broken, not just the horrific camera but the entire gameplay. It's infuriating to play at points with some of the worst level design I've seen, what on earth did I ever see in it? :lol:

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu May 06, 2010 5:47 am

Lately I've been busting some Ghosts. I have to admit, its a lot of fun.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

SpeedBreaker

Post by SpeedBreaker » Thu May 06, 2010 6:58 am

Just started playing Quake Live (www.quakelive.com). It's basically Quake 3 with some online achievements added and it's 100% free to play. Time to get fragging. :D

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Thu May 06, 2010 8:07 am

Halo:Reach beta
Pokemon HeartGold
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Thu May 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Super R-Type (SNES) - It's... It's too much. Reaching the second boss then accidentally brushing against the wall and being sent back to the beginning of the entire stage is just too cruel. I can't imagine how infuriating the lack of checkpoints is on the later levels. Worst thing is, I don't know whether beating it on Normal gives you an ending or just makes you loop straight into Hard mode- anyone know anything about this?

Super Castlevania IV (SNES) - A much easier game by comparison, and good fun to boot. Reached Stage 8 before giving up and jotting my password down- I stopped after having my enthusiasm sapped by Stage 6 with that long-winded chandelier sequence and those damn dancing ghosts. Still prefer the Mega Drive game, but this is still pretty good.