What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

phantasy.star.ii

I only play vintage games...

Post by phantasy.star.ii » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:50 am

Sega Genesis:
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (sounds corny but actually seriously kicks ass, great synth music!)
Mickey Mania! a rediculously cool platformer that loosely follows the plot of a few ultra-vintage Disney movies (from as early as the 1930's).
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star II (becoming insanely difficult! how did i rock this game so hard when I was like 11 years old?)
Super Street Fighter II (I can't get sick of this game. Still)
Shining Force II

<br>
Sega Master System:
Shinobi
Vampire
Phantasy Star

<br>
Gameboy Pocket:
The Final Fantasy Legend (I)
Dragon Warrior I & II
Last edited by phantasy.star.ii on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:06 pm

Been playing some cracking shmups over the last couple of days.

Cybattler - Arcade: Vertical shooter, multi-direction aiming. This one has an interesting weapon system where you can shoot as well as use a beam sword melee attack, and you have a healthbar so you won't die on the first hit. In fact, you can usually bump into things without taking any damage at all. Really nice the way the game makes you use the whole screen and 8-way targetting to maximum effect.

Dangun Feveron - Arcade: Ever wanted to play a disco-themed sci-fi shoot-'em-up? You have? Well look no further.

A Bizarre but fun vertical blaster which seems pretty standard on first impressions, until you begin to notice the combo of the funky disco beats in the background, along with the guy shouting random phrases like 'GOT TO BELIEVE!' and 'FEEEVER!'. Hit the special move button and some whirly dancers emerge, and at the end of the level there's a disco-ball. If John Travolta played shmups, he'd play this one.

Gekirindan - Arcade: Although Gekirindan is fairly generic (and has no flared hipsters flying around), it's still great staple action. Choose your ship type, enjoy the melodies and prepare for some no-nonsense bullet dodging.

Change Air Blade - Arcade: A unique little title. Much in the style of the Raiden Fighters series, you get to choose from a whole host of planes before stepping into the cockpit. As you pelt off from the runway, you notice another plane beside you keeping neck-and-neck. You soon find out that this is your rival, and it's your job to kill them as soon as possible. This is where the game comes into its own, as despite there being regular shmup baddies to contend with on your way, the key to completing the level is to beat your rival - but it won't be easy.

Despite showering you with powerups on every hit, as soon as you drain them down to their last ounce of energy, they are rescued by enormous ships with bags of firepower, sometimes more than once, and until you manage to take them down, you aren't going anywhere. Give this one a go, it's awesome.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:44 am

\"Incredible Hulk - Ultimate Destruction\" on PS2...brainless but great fun....

Great for a quick blast, not one I'd buy but as a rental it's spot-on.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:46 am

At the moment I've been playing Super Mario Bros on the Wii VC. Forgot how much I enjoyed it.

Was playing Wii Sports but my elbow hurts now after playing too much tennis. Shows how unfit I am!

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Freshmetal

Post by Freshmetal » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:47 am

Had fairly nice gaming-pickings in GAME today. With their 3 for 2 offers on pre-owned, I never really have much hope of picking up any bargains, but today I was pleasantly surprised by finding Silent Hill 2, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution and Black for PS2 all in great condition. The discs aren't even scratched! Those 3 for £20, then I grabbed Toca 2 and Colin McRae Rally 2 for PS1 for £2.99 in Gamestation (buy one get one free).

Also had the initial interview for a new job today, but that isn't gaming-related. Could be interesting if I get it though...

merman

Post by merman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:59 am

Working my way through BMX XXX... slowly. Some of the gaps and challenges are tricky and difficult to spot in the crowded level layouts.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:58 am

merman wrote:Working my way through BMX XXX.
How'd you rate that then? I've almost bought that so many times for my Cube, partly because I think it'll be half decent gameplay wise, but partly because its so inappropriate for the platform.

Does it hold up well to the others in the series?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:56 pm

merman wrote:Working my way through BMX XXX... slowly. Some of the gaps and challenges are tricky and difficult to spot in the crowded level layouts.
You like your silly sports don't ya! Can you ride a bike or a skateboard in real life?

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:58 pm

I can Ride a bike and trick pretty well off a ramp but my best on my Skate Board is falling flat on my backside. I dare not take my Bike out stunting much as Its my main mode of transport and trashing it is not a good idea
Watching you sleep since 1990

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:04 pm

Sega Saturn- Virtua Cop. I'm off with a throat infection so I've been hammering the consoles a lot lately.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:13 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
merman wrote:Working my way through BMX XXX.
How'd you rate that then? I've almost bought that so many times for my Cube, partly because I think it'll be half decent gameplay wise, but partly because its so inappropriate for the platform.

Does it hold up well to the others in the series?
Hmm, well, I think it's OK, not brilliant. As you know it's based on the Dave Mirra engine but without the "real" riders. I only picked it up in Game Focus because it was a fiver, and I wouldn't pay much more than that for it really. The one thing it does lack is a "retry last challenge" option. You have to go back to the person who sets the challenge and talk to them again, which is irritating.

And no, I can't ride a bike or skateboard in real life, which is I think part of why I enjoy extreme sports games so much...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Well, gave up on Hulk....the first boss was pretty hard but then the difficulty level went up massively, and to be honest it was turning into a chore.

Back to \"Snaaaaake!\" for me then.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:38 pm

Barkley Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden

Really surprisingly good. Lots of RPGMaker stuff is barely worth playing but this one has enough flavour and polish to seem worth it so far

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:02 pm

Parallel Lines on the Xbox and DAMN if it's not good. I just made the switch from the '70s to the '90s, at least I think its the '90s and I'm liking it. I liked Driv3r on the PS2 but I played that on the Xbox recently (like last week) and it was very very bad - in fact i don't remember it being that bad on the PS2 but Parallel Lines is goooooood!

Well - it's fun anyway.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:29 pm

This week,I have mostly been playing...

Two Towers on GC
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"