What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon May 21, 2007 7:14 am

Playing Nitro Ball in the league now, also Contra and Bad News Baseball on the NES - great little baseball game this, but maybe not as funny as Base Wars.

BNB: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JmiTtSVFm9s
BW: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yohd8O5DW8o

Of course, 2020 Super Baseball is the daddy of baseball games!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon May 21, 2007 7:52 am

Last Hope, House of the Dead 2, Trigger Heart Exelica - DC

Guitar Hero 2, Raiden 3, Okami - PS2

Strider - Megedrive

Halflife 2 - x box

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon May 21, 2007 8:54 am

About to start "Spartan - Total Warrior"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:07 am

In the last couple of weeks, I have:

Played 1 game of Wonderboy for the league. Blech!

Finished Call of Duty 3 on the Wii.

Reached Pro level on Wii Sports Tennis.

Completed King Kong on Wii.

Completed Tomb Raider: Legend on PS2

Completed Guitar Hero 2 on PS2, Easy and Medium levels, now going back to 5 star them (started going for gold, but not missing a single note is tricky even on easy mode).

Helped out on a couple of spot in the original PS1 Tomb Raider for Mrs Ant.

Played a little Driver '76 on PSP.

Started playing Rayman: Raving Rabids and Red Steel on Wii at the weekend, until Mrs Ant killed our telly :(
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon May 21, 2007 9:09 am

Whats Driver 76 like? Nearly bought it today but got Rocky Balboa and Outrun C2C instead.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:16 am

Bad mistake.

Rocky is a bit poo, I got bored with it very quickly. Its fun, but there's not much depth.

OutRun is a good conversion though, I enjoyed that.

Driver 76 is a fairly decent representation of its recent bigger brothers. A good driving engine that's a lot of fun to throw cars around in a well detailed city, but as usual the on foot sections let it down a bit.
I've only played a few missions, so early to judge it totally, but those are my impressions so far.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Last Hope, House of the Dead 2, Trigger Heart Exelica - DC

Strider - Megedrive

Halflife 2 - x box
I've read a few places that say Last Hope's not up to much, what do you reckon to it?
Splink!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon May 21, 2007 9:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Bad mistake.

Rocky is a bit poo, I got bored with it very quickly. Its fun, but there's not much depth.

OutRun is a good conversion though, I enjoyed that.

Driver 76 is a fairly decent representation of its recent bigger brothers. A good driving engine that's a lot of fun to throw cars around in a well detailed city, but as usual the on foot sections let it down a bit.
I've only played a few missions, so early to judge it totally, but those are my impressions so far.
Rocky was an impulse purchase. I am a massive Rocky/Stallone fan and had watched Rocky 2 over the weekend and just picked up Rocky Balboa on DVD so it felt like a natural purchase. The sad thing is, I have recently bought Fight Night 3 on 360 and didn't like it, so buying another boxing game was a bit silly :?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon May 21, 2007 10:00 am

felgekarp wrote:

Strider - Megedrive

Halflife 2 - x box
I've read a few places that say Last Hope's not up to much, what do you reckon to it?
I'm really enjoying it, really reminds me of R-Type (level 2 is amazingly like the second level of R-Type 2). When I first started playing I thought it was pretty average but once I got used to rotating the "force" with the shoulder buttons it's lots of fun working out playing strategies around it. I'm really impressed it's an Indie the graphics are very good. The only critisism i'd give is that you can tell it's a port of a Neo Geo game those distinctive sprites whilst pretty it would've been nice for more enhancement to the graphics. It's hard but never unfair and for the price I think it's good value for money - hope this helps

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon May 21, 2007 10:30 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
felgekarp wrote:

Strider - Megedrive

Halflife 2 - x box
I'm really enjoying it, really reminds me of R-Type (level 2 is amazingly like the second level of R-Type 2). When I first started playing I thought it was pretty average but once I got used to rotating the "force" with the shoulder buttons it's lots of fun working out playing strategies around it. I'm really impressed it's an Indie the graphics are very good. The only critisism i'd give is that you can tell it's a port of a Neo Geo game those distinctive sprites whilst pretty it would've been nice for more enhancement to the graphics. It's hard but never unfair and for the price I think it's good value for money - hope this helps
Very helpfull, thanks. One of the threads I'd read about it online gave it quite a slating, with a lot of people saying it was incredibly hard to just get off the first level.
Splink!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon May 21, 2007 10:38 am

It's a challenge I'll gave you that but in a good way, once I worked out a stratgegy to get off level one I can do it every time, it's as difficult as Gynoug on the megadrive i'd say

wilf

Post by wilf » Tue May 22, 2007 1:15 am

I'm currently ploughing through Bangai-O on DC. Awful front end but stunning game for shooter freaks !

I cranked up Ballblazer on Atari800XL at the weekend after reading some interviews with one of the old Lucasfilm designers. Stunning game.

Freshmetal

Post by Freshmetal » Wed May 23, 2007 6:31 pm

I'm currently tearing my hair out over Red Faction. It's so tough in some parts, I've resorted to saving after every group of enemies, since it takes so long to defeat some I don't want to have to repeat certain fights. At the point I'm at now, it seems that all of the enemies are either carrying one-hit-kill super-accurate rail guns or are immune to headshots. I'm determined to beat it, but it's definitely time to get the swear jar out.
djcarlos wrote:About to start "Spartan - Total Warrior"
Any opinions yet? I played it about a year ago and rather enjoyed it. It's a shame it was so overshadowed by God of War.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:07 am

If you've got rail guns on the go then you're fairly close to the end of Red Faction.

Something I discovered when I was messing about, after having the frustration you're having, is the alternate vision mode. It is mentioned very early on in the game but by the time you need it you've forgotten its there having never needed it. The rail gun not only lets ou see through walls with a sort of heat vision, it can also shoot through walls. You can take out bad guys from the other side of a wall before they've even seen you, so their rail guns just become ammo drops for you.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu May 24, 2007 3:56 am

Downloaded Xevious last night for Xbox Live Arcade: slightly disappointed that it didn't get the Double Dragon style lick o' paint, but its a classic anyway. only scored about 57000, but I'll be going back for achievements.

Playing Oblivion on 360 too, just downloaded Shivering Isles but haven't gone there yet, getting used to the game again after nearly a year's hiatus.

Other than those I've been messing about with Tane Wo Maku Tore on Wonderswan and Metal Slug 2nd mission on NGPC which is much harder than 1st Mission. Great though.

And I pointedly haven't been playing Nitro Ball for the league, it just feels... Wrong, for some reason. Dunno why.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile