What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:35 pm

I went back to Shenmue today. I'm really struggling to understand why this game is so loved. I'm onto the second disc looking for some flipping mirror :roll:
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:04 pm

leefishuk wrote:Sonic 2 on XBox Live.

I think it is a fantastic conversion. I have also got much further than I ever did on my Megadrive version, probably due to the analogue stick rather than the D-Pad.

I am really enjoying it. And the music is awesome.
Whats with the graphics? just took a look on xbox.com and it looks well ugly! - what have they done to it?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:26 pm

Theres Sonic 2 HD comin out (homebrew)
Its not fully made yet

Currently
DISGAEA DS
AGAIN

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:38 pm

pforson wrote:
leefishuk wrote:Sonic 2 on XBox Live.

I think it is a fantastic conversion. I have also got much further than I ever did on my Megadrive version, probably due to the analogue stick rather than the D-Pad.

I am really enjoying it. And the music is awesome.
Whats with the graphics? just took a look on xbox.com and it looks well ugly! - what have they done to it?
it's just a gfx filter to smooth the pixels out, luckily you can turn it off, i agree it ruins the gfx imo, all the sega games on xbl have the option

el-tel

Post by el-tel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Just started the chapter 1 preview of World of Goo, and it's fantastic!

Beautiful graphics, superb sound and music, stylish and atmospheric!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:24 pm

FIFA 09 as Southend United. And it plays more smoother and is better than last years, but its going to be the last FIFA game I buy (well, I traded in some games towards it, so i got it for nothing in all fairness)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Tried the following games yesterday:
Guardian Heroes: great side scrolling beat'em up, I don't regret listening to other forumites here and buying the game.

Blazing Dragons: looks very similar to Discworld, so I should love it.

Virtua Fighter: great game, another great arcade conversion for the Saturn. I suck at it though...

Gex: looks like a good 2D platformer

The Amazing Spiderman vs. The Kingpin (Mega CD): a stunning game, nice graphics and good gameplay. I'm a fan of Spidey too, so I'm really glad I bought this game (it came with a MD1 and Mega CD, which I already had, but this one works better, so I'm all the more pleased with my purchase).

And I also played a bit of Shinobi. I looooooooooooooove this game! Reminds me of the time I spent playing the arcade version. I was mesmerised by this game at the time and it's one of the games that made me buy a Master System.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:33 pm

I'm playing Halo 3. I didn't like Halo 2 and I've never been a fan of the series.

However...I'm enjoying this one. I'm on the 5th mission and so far the game has been good fun!

I'm also playing Duke Nukem 3D on the Xbox Arcade - best 800 Microsoft points I've ever spent!
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:03 am

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on the DS.. arcade perfect conversion.

Its the first time I have ever played UMK3 or even MK3 and realised that Sindel is one of the best characters to use.

I just wish i could hook it up to my tele ala PSP style..
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:23 am

Been playing ninety nine nights on 360, its quite good but the damn disk keep skipping and the 360 always decides to restart itself if it can't read something :? Bought another copy off play, bloody gamestation.

Titan

Post by Titan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:31 am

nesmaster wrote:I went back to Shenmue today. I'm really struggling to understand why this game is so loved. I'm onto the second disc looking for some flipping mirror :roll:
Its not a game for everybody, but I'd really recommend sticking with it. The first disc is quite slow, yeah, but you should be at the point where things start to pick up now.

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:22 pm

Sonic Spinball and Shadow Dancer on the Argosportablemegadrivethingy. Plugged into the telly for the authentic RF-o-vision experience.

Shadow Dancer reminds me of Rick Dangerous in a way, in that you make a move, get killed, swear you won't get caught there next time, get caught there next time, swear etc. Quite compulsive.

Coop

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:33 pm

nesmaster wrote:I went back to Shenmue today. I'm really struggling to understand why this game is so loved. I'm onto the second disc looking for some flipping mirror :roll:
I feel the same way of this game... I've heard so much about it, I was really anxious to get a Dreamcast and play it. But when I finally did, I was disappointed... But someday, I'll really try to go a bit further and see if it's worth all the praises.
I don't have the time and patience right now...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:49 pm

Just completed easy career mode on Samba De Amigo for the Wii, it's fun to see your Mii dancing in the background.
Splink!

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:29 pm

Spooky wrote:
I feel the same way of this game... I've heard so much about it, I was really anxious to get a Dreamcast and play it. But when I finally did, I was disappointed... But someday, I'll really try to go a bit further and see if it's worth all the praises.
I don't have the time and patience right now...
But its like watching a film. Where the hell is the actual gameplay? And the story isn't great either, its a typical "he killed my father...blah blah blah.
And the main character Ryu has the personality of a goldfish. I don't mind playing a game with a proper story, but it has to be interesting.
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan