What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:21 pm

I've been playing Fatal Fury today. I got to Geese, and he is one tough S.O.B :evil:

He just keeps throwing me. Git.
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

Titan

Post by Titan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:57 pm

Sonic Chronicles on the DS. Despite the iffy presentation, it's actually pretty fun ^^

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:46 am

Sonic 2 on XBox Live.

I think it is a fantastic conversion. I have also got much further than I ever did on my Megadrive version, probably due to the analogue stick rather than the D-Pad.

I am really enjoying it. And the music is awesome.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:42 am

Wipeout HD best Wipeout ever ever ever ever

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:58 am

I was up until 2 this morning playing Jackass on the psp.
Splink!

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:11 am

felgekarp wrote:I was up until 2 this morning playing Jackass on the psp.
Good, eh?

I've heard its one of those games that looks terrible but is actually rather fun.
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:21 am

Been playing lots of shmups last night at work, all PS1 games on the PSP:

DoDonPachi (incredible arcade perfect conversion, didn't realise the PS1 could handle it so well, can;t imagine the Sat version being any better at all which is strange)
Thunderforce V
RayCrisis
R-Type Delta
A little bit of Final Fantasy VIII and about 2 hours of Resi Evil 3, which still scares the censored out of me when Nemesis chases after you screaming "S.T.A.R.S!!".

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:25 am

JackPainter wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I was up until 2 this morning playing Jackass on the psp.
Good, eh?

I've heard its one of those games that looks terrible but is actually rather fun.
The graphics are nowt special but the majority of the games on it are good for a laugh and it's not exactly taxing either.
Splink!

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:15 am

Will finish off all the Bronze medals on PGR2 shortly then will probably go onto something else rather than attack the Silvers as I've already got the Rank 5 achievement and Rank 1 appears to be a very long way off.

After that I can't decide what to start

Eternal Sonata - Watched the intro sequence last night, this looks all a bit twee... :(
Ridge Racer 6 - Played a bit but made no serious attempt on it. Not sure if I want to follow one racing game with another
Viva Pinata
Bioshock - Looking to be the most likely candidate. Again only really watched the intro and first couple of minutes.

Also doing the odd twenty minutes here and there completing the map in the Inverted Castle on Castlevania:SOTN on XBLA.

Coop

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:43 am

C=Style wrote:Been playing lots of shmups last night at work, all PS1 games on the PSP:

DoDonPachi (incredible arcade perfect conversion, didn't realise the PS1 could handle it so well, can;t imagine the Sat version being any better at all which is strange)
Thunderforce V
RayCrisis
R-Type Delta
A little bit of Final Fantasy VIII and about 2 hours of Resi Evil 3, which still scares the censored out of me when Nemesis chases after you screaming "S.T.A.R.S!!".
Dodonpachi on Saturn has an extra starting level that is only on Saturn so that's a plus point for it - you can play either Saturn or Arcade mode.

Thunderforce V on PS1 is a weird one when you compare it to Saturn - the Saturn version has sooo many extra layers in the backgrounds but the PS1 version looks a whole lot cleaner. I think both are worth owning for the serious TF fan (like me :)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:46 am

Coopdevil wrote: Viva Pinata
:) Still remains one of only 2 games I have all 1000 achievement points on (that and Skate) and I'm currently level 90 on Pinata 2 (which is really Pinata 1.5)

One of the most underated and criminally undersold games of recent times. I love it.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:07 am

Mootown wrote:Dodonpachi on Saturn has an extra starting level that is only on Saturn so that's a plus point for it - you can play either Saturn or Arcade mode.
I found Dodonpachi on saturn unplayable in places due to the amount of pixelation, its a terrible port which is bizzare considering the renowned sprite handling capabilities of the saturn.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:13 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:
Mootown wrote:Dodonpachi on Saturn has an extra starting level that is only on Saturn so that's a plus point for it - you can play either Saturn or Arcade mode.
I found Dodonpachi on saturn unplayable in places due to the amount of pixelation, its a terrible port which is bizzare considering the renowned sprite handling capabilities of the saturn.
If you rotate the screen to full (tate mode or whatever it's called) that effect is pretty much gone and it looks nigh on arcade perfect. It must be due to how it rescales the screen to fit when it's rotated. I think it's a fantastic port but to get the full effect you need to be able to make your screen vertical....Happens on a few of the vertical shooters when playing them on a horizontal screen. I got over it by getting the arcade version :)

Confessor

Post by Confessor » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:36 am

Totally addicted to Metroid Fusion on GBA. I had sold it years ago before finishing it, and have just bought it again. It's a great great game full of action and mystery.
I had a quick play on the other PS1 games I've bought this week:

- Doom. A very poor port. Disappointing.
- Duke Nukem. Another bad port but much funnier than Doom.
- Atari Anniversary Redux. Hmm. Some games are nearly unplayable (Gravitar, so small you can't even find your starship!), others are great (Tempest)
- MDK. I've read great things about it on an old issue of RG but I'm somehow disappointed...the mandatory training session at the beginning of the game is annoying.
- Delta Force Urban Warfare. Average FPS with really bad FMV.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:50 am

Currently been playing the following:

Street Fighter III Third Strike: Fight For The Future - PC (via emulation with Final Burn Alpha)
King of Fighters 96 - PC (via emulation with MAME). This one's Opa-Opa's fault, since seeing the Neo Geo feature on WGTV episode 10, I decided to have a gander at King of Fighters 96 (having never played any of the KoF games before) and became addicted
Metal Slug - PC (via emulation with MAME). See explanation above !!!
Sim Tower - PC
Kirby's Dream Course - SNES