What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:46 am

I've been playing more Mercs. Still can't bloody complete it :(

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:44 am

JackPainter wrote:
SirClive wrote:I don't get it. I thought it was dull tosh. Would much rather play Gears.
I love FPS but I don't get the Halo series.

I've only ever played Halo 2 and I found that incredibly dull - maybe it was the high expectations or something. Although, if I see Halo 3 cheap I'll probably pick up a copy.
Yeah I didn't like Halo 2 single player campaign either, it was very boring, but the multiplayer was great. The original Halo is quite a bit better, and Halo 3 is the best of teh lot as far as I'm concerned. It's got tight controls (like the other games) and great gameplay and AI including your squad. The story is also interesting and has some stunning highlights like the scarab battles. The overall sense of freedom is also good, something the original was famed for, and being able to fly Hornets and see the game world from high up is pretty much jaw dropping. AND I havne't even taken the game online (which is fully co-op with a huge and dedicated community and a vast array of game types) What's not to like?

Halo 3 is a stunning game in my honest opinion and one of the best games I've played so far this generation, though if I were to listen to all the negative nancys slagging it down then I would never have got round to playing it. :)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:06 am

Mercs 2 360 - playing this again last night, unlocked the whole map now and man that game world is big.

Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou 360 - progressed to the 3rd boss this time, man it's very, very, tough already. Found a setting to turn the anti-aliasing off and the game looks so much clearer - It will look amazing on the 360.

1942 Joint Strike - I still think this is bland but I want to finish it

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 am

Another Halo 3 fan here. Love all the games and was the series that actually got me into FPS.

Cannot stop playing Castle Crashers on XBox Live but it is hard. Also downloaded Sonic 2 and enjoying the retro-tastic action.
It's good that you can save!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:46 am

Completed Halo 3, was surprised that it wasn't longer, it's short and sweet and at least doesn't drag. I will certainly enjoy going back through on harder difficulties along with trying out all the extra DLC from yesterdays Halo 3 Anniversary.

Last night played a lot of Aliens vs Predator on CPS2 (on the PSP emulator). This emu is stunning in every respect! I never thought I'd be playing the likes of Xmen vs Streetfighter, Alpha 3, Marvel Vs Capcom, Dimahoo, Dungeons and Dragons, Aliens Vs Predator, Progear, Mars Matrix etc etc all at FULLSPEED with zero frame skipping and V-Sync with 44khz stereo sound! If you own a PSP with custom firmware then you MUST pick up this emu!

Another great thing about it is the fact that the CPS2 had a rather awkward screen ratio, sitting somewhere in between 16:9 and 4:3 (I think its 24:17) which makes emulating it on a normal screen like the GP2X a nightmare as it either over scales off the screen or the use of hardware filters have to be used which blurs the screen. On the PSP with it's 16:9 screen it can comfortably manage a 1:1 pixel ratio and it looks fanbloodytastic.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:13 am

384x224

which is umm...

12:7

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 pm

C=Style wrote:
JackPainter wrote:
SirClive wrote:I don't get it. I thought it was dull tosh. Would much rather play Gears.
I love FPS but I don't get the Halo series.

I've only ever played Halo 2 and I found that incredibly dull - maybe it was the high expectations or something. Although, if I see Halo 3 cheap I'll probably pick up a copy.
Yeah I didn't like Halo 2 single player campaign either, it was very boring, but the multiplayer was great. The original Halo is quite a bit better, and Halo 3 is the best of teh lot as far as I'm concerned. It's got tight controls (like the other games) and great gameplay and AI including your squad. The story is also interesting and has some stunning highlights like the scarab battles. The overall sense of freedom is also good, something the original was famed for, and being able to fly Hornets and see the game world from high up is pretty much jaw dropping. AND I havne't even taken the game online (which is fully co-op with a huge and dedicated community and a vast array of game types) What's not to like?

Halo 3 is a stunning game in my honest opinion and one of the best games I've played so far this generation, though if I were to listen to all the negative nancys slagging it down then I would never have got round to playing it. :)
Cool, Ill definitely have to check it out!

Its funny because most of friends who love the Halo series, didn't like 3. Like yourself, perhaps it'll have the opposite effect on me - didn't like the first two, but loves 3. :wink:
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:04 pm

I'm playing Duke Nukem 3D on XBLA... Damn, it's good! 8)
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:34 pm

WrestleFest on MAME.

Still the best wrestling game ever made.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:03 pm

Wipeout HD is the best thing I've played since... well, Mega Man 9 a little earlier this evening, but both games are perfect.

I was never the biggest Wipeout fan and my loyalty was always with F-Zero, but I've taken to this one immediately and I think it might very well be better than F-Zero GX. The Zone mode is the best thing my HDTV has seen to date. My eyes still haven't recovered.

Oh, and now I've got NHL 09 trying to find a slot in my gaming sessions, with De Blob and the new Wario game likely to arrive tomorrow. Retro is taking a vacation for the weekend in my household.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Is WipEout HD full 1080p? I;m also thinking of NHL 09 after reading some promising reviews. Not bought a hockey game since NHL 2001 which was the best PS1 hockey game, I've not really enjoyed too many other since the original Megadrive series. I'm hoping NHL 09 will be the hockey game to change my mind.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:19 pm

C=Style wrote:Is WipEout HD full 1080p?
It is, although I think I read something earlier about how it sometimes drops down to maintain the 60fps framerate. Whether that's true, I haven't noticed any drop and it looks perfect to me all the time.

NHL 09 was also highly pleasing from my brief first session with it. There's loads going on in the menus and I quickly adapted to what was my first go with the dual stick control method. If anyone doesn't like that control scheme there's the old NHL 94 set up available, which I will be trying out out sooner rather than later. Overall, it looks and plays exactly as you'd want an ice hockey game to in 2008.

Edit: Here's the Wipeout HD article I mentioned above: http://insidethedigitalfoundry.blogspot ... -hand.html

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Cheers mate, I find it difficult to beliebe that the resolution on WipEout HD would switch during gamplay to maintain framerate, I think teh PS3 should be more than capable of handling this game at full 60fps without the need for compromise.

I read that the NHL create a superstar was an awesome addition to the EA's NHL series. It basically allows you control of your player only in 3rd person view as you take him through a whole season (and even online against other superstars) and build him up. It's said to add a lot more excitement and you get a real sense of progress. I might think about taking the plunge tomorrow if i see it for less than £40 in the shops. :)

th3 duckst3r

Post by th3 duckst3r » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:34 pm

currently playing

brothers in arms:hells highway on the 360
im most impressed with the game.its not an all out blaster u need to be tactical too.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Finally managed to get Radirgy for the DC! Been trying to get this one for over a year at a non-ridiculous price, in fact I found getting Border Down much easier. £35 including P+P, only 2 DC shooters left :D