What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:59 pm

sscott wrote:
Bit bored now...still to play Metroid Prime 3 properly but don't know if I can be bothered moving my arms around and stuff tonight.
I was the same, it sat on my shelf still sealed for six months.
Go for it, sit down and have a good few hours playing metroid, it really is worth it.

sludgeguts

Post by sludgeguts » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:29 pm

currently playing sega ages galaxy force 2 on the jap ps2.brilliant game.not only do you get the arcade original you get the master system and megadrive versions and an updated version which looks nice and leaves the gameplay intact.also you get a lot of bonus stuff like pictures of arcade flyers etc.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:50 am

I tried Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (NES) yesterday, looks a bit strange, but not too bad.
Also played:
Bram Stoker's Dracula (NES), looks awful...
City of Lost Children (PS1), great atmosphere, but it often feels like the main character (a young girl) is a 500 lbs sumo...
Kurushi (PS1), didn't quite understand the concept... what the hell am I supposed to do?
Ape Escape (PS1), looks fun... a bit childish though

Castle Crashers (XBLA), great game, really funny. I don't regret spending 1200 bloody points on it.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:07 am

Civ Revolution (PS3)
SOR2 (SMD)
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

gastower69

Post by gastower69 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:00 am

chequered flag-zx spectrum
daley thomspons decathlon-zx spectrum
pure-xbox360
ferrari challenge-wii :lol:

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:35 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:Agreed!

Which are you playing, the 360 or PS3 version??

The Tower of Lost Souls gets really harsh later on, and fighting the CPU just becomes a chore when your only chance of winning is a ring out. Taki and Ivy CPU are just EVIL

Do like some of the new characters though.

I don't see or understand what your problem with Kilik users/players is. What bothers you about him>
Kilik happens to be one of my main SC characters along with Taki, Ivy and Mitsurugi. And there are certainll much cheaper and unfair characters.

Some of the moves that you "should" be able to avoid while on the floor (by rolling left or right) have insane priority, especially a lot of Siegfried's moves.

The Apprentice is a lot of fun, and Yoda is just plain annoying and simply out of place in this game.

What is your grievance with Kilik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Playing the 360 version.

I found that whenever I hosted a match the opponent would pick Kilik or Cervantes and pull the same moves over and over. By the time I found my feet with the game again (missed out 3 so been a while since I played it) I was manouvering around a lot more to avoid it. A lot of button bashers picked kilik or sueng-mina becuase you can pull off a couple of great moves relitively easily. Agreed that there are cheaper characters its just I got sick of playing Kilik all the time (constant teleporting with Cervantes was up there though).

Allowing the guest to pick the stage meant certain techniques were used over and over. Yun-seong has a throw that will get a ring out when facing away from the drop, so people would select the raft stage and hang around near the edge.

Yoda is rubbish and the whole star wars theme seemed out of place. The apprentice had decent moves but is a bland character in terms of design.

The missions in the original soulcaliber were more fun and varied than the tower of lost souls. I heard you can glitch the last level by laying down and watching the boss ring himself out but I stopped playing long before that.

Will definitely go back to this game in the future :)
gmintyfresh wrote:I'm really interested in Ibara but man it's dear
I bought it for £45 with free postage about three weeks ago, usually goes for £40-50 on ebay just doesn't come up too often

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:52 am

I watched the Dead or Alive movie recently, so I'm playing Dig Dug on Virtual Console. There's a connection there, trust me. It's just complicated.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:06 pm

Geometry Wars 2 – oh its sooooo nice, although I am crap at it I still love it when you get a good run at it for a few minutes and go of into a trance like state.

Mass Effect – Playing it second time round as Mr. bad ass grumpy mood/out to censored everyone of renegade mode (anyone else feel bad or guilty when they purposely play this way?....no….just me then….ho hum)

F.E.A.R – Trying to finish it of, im not finding it hard, I just tend to get lost in the levels for some reason (a few levels of condemned done the same to me)

Oh also having quick blasts of Frostbite, Ridge Racer 6 and Zanac Neo :)

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:55 pm

Giving R type Final another run, trying to get past the space level, on super easy....no, im not kidding! Im really that pants at this game!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:22 pm

I've been giving Yakuza a go today and am up to Chapter 4 so far. As a big fan of the first game I am glad to see Sega has improved several problems that the first game had. Combat is much smoother this time round, load times are drastically reduced. It also has an excellent story so far, and it has an excellent atmosphere to both cities. Only tiny complaint is that as the game is on a DVD9 disc I can hear my PS2 chugging away which causes the music skip every once and a while. Hopefully Yakuza 3 and Kenzan will get released in the future.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Annie40k

Post by Annie40k » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Currently playing;

Yoshi's Island (snes)
Animal Crossing (DS)
Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)
Heroes of Might and Magic III (pc)
Mass Effect (xbox 360)
Rockstar Table Tennis (xbox 360)

Being all versatile :)

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Playing Burnout Paradise again (now it has bikes). Bikes >= cars it would seem.

And I borrowed Soul Calibur IV for PS3. Fun enough game, though I found my character of choice fairly early on - Angol Fear FTW!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:12 pm

Just finished Castle Crashers, the last boss wasn't too difficult, not considering the 3 that went before him anyway. I've also still got a shed load of things to go and find and then insane mode to give a whirl.
Splink!

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:53 pm

just played thru medal of honor - airborne on the 360 in one sitting and had a couple of multiplayer games. its better than i gave it credit for! was given it by a friend who hated it so the fact it was free added to the fun! :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:38 am

gmintyfresh wrote: Mate the first few of many I should think! You're right they are stunnning what've you got PS2-wise? I'm really interested in Ibara but man it's dear
Well, how can I put this. I have them all, yet I have none of them if that makes sense. Actually I tell a lie, I do have a few PAL shooters like Gunbird Collection, Raiden 3, Strikers 1945 I/II and XII Stag which I picked up from GAME pretty cheap.

I have no idea how much Ibara retails for but I'm sure it's a fair old sum. I'd say if you're into shmups and are going to be spending some quality time with it then it's probably worth quite a few notes.

Don't forget Thunderforce VI coming soon too! :) Will you be buying that?