What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:00 am

thl wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:I've also been playing more on COD4 (PS3), nearly finished the single player mode. So good I'll go through and play it again on a harder difficulty. I also tried the online mode as many people here speak highly of it and I am hooked! The EXP system means that even people like me can achieve something out of a deathmatch (I'm pretty bad at it at the moment!). Add that the great challenges that let you unlock more stuff as you play and I have an online mode that looks to outlast the single player mode easily.
I haven't play COD4 (Xbox360) for quite a while after my 1 month free trial had expired. Luckily I reached Level 55 (Commander rank) and was given an option of playing the Prestige mode.

The online play is incredibly popular that I been playing the Domination mode during last month. Some suggested it's probably the best route of picking up twice amount of XPs as long you're on the winning team and completing challenges.
Thanks for the tips, I've managed to level up much faster and Domination multiplayer mode is a blast to play as well.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:11 am

I'm currently playing Metal Slug 7 on the DS, It's a great game and it's certainly an improvment over 5 and 6 imo, will tide me over till i get my Pandora and play the first 6 over again!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:26 am

AmigaJay wrote:I'm currently playing Metal Slug 7 on the DS, It's a great game and it's certainly an improvment over 5 and 6 imo, will tide me over till i get my Pandora and play the first 6 over again!
I really like 5 and I especially like 6 (my second favourite), 4 is the one I have the problem with as it's awful

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:13 am

Yeah I also thought things improved with 5 onwards. Although I would never say they were as good as 3, including 7 on DS. But MS7 is pretty special regardless. 4 was pitiful.

thl

Post by thl » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:39 am

Had a quick go on R-Types, Sonic Wings Special and Strikers 1945 II on the PS1 earlier ago.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:51 pm

I've finally got around to playing Super Mario RPG on the Wii virtual console (I tend to buy the odd game and then never get time to play it!) and also Phoenix Wright 2 on the DS. It's not my DS, it's my daughter's one which doesn't half annoy her when I hog it :-)

Not really had much time for games recently. I think the last thing I played was the technology preview of Yo Frankie (the new Open Source game) only to find that my video card isn't up to the job in my PC.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:22 pm

EnglishRob wrote:I've finally got around to playing Super Mario RPG on the Wii virtual console (I tend to buy the odd game and then never get time to play it!) and also Phoenix Wright 2 on the DS. It's not my DS, it's my daughter's one which doesn't half annoy her when I hog it :-)

Not really had much time for games recently. I think the last thing I played was the technology preview of Yo Frankie (the new Open Source game) only to find that my video card isn't up to the job in my PC.

Rob
What do you think about Super Mario RPG?
I've downloaded it, but it still has to be played... :lol:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:22 pm

Spooky wrote:
EnglishRob wrote:I've finally got around to playing Super Mario RPG on the Wii virtual console (I tend to buy the odd game and then never get time to play it!) and also Phoenix Wright 2 on the DS. It's not my DS, it's my daughter's one which doesn't half annoy her when I hog it :-)

Rob
What do you think about Super Mario RPG?
I've downloaded it, but it still has to be played... :lol:
Well I'm not a big fan of RPGs, I tend to stay away from things like Final Fantasy (never really got into the original games on the NES/SNES). I'd say in a way it reminds me a bit of Paper Mario albeit with not as fancy graphics (still, it's not bad). I guess you could say it's a bit like what you'd get if you crossed Paper Mario and Super Mario World.

I'm certainly getting into it anyway, it's quite a good game, especially for someone like me who isn't traditionally an RPG fan.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

NecroticSoul

Post by NecroticSoul » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:45 pm

Hurrah! All of the Mario RPGs are quite, quite brilliant. They all present really cute, slickly designed visions of the Mushroom Kingdom, and they don't take themselves too seriously, usually being quite chortle-worthy.

I'm currently in the middle of a couple RPGs meself. The first is Final Fantasy VI. Some months ago I decided to educate myself about the series and so I started with FF I and have gotten up to this one so far. They just get better and better!

The other one is the original Phantasy Star for the Master System. Fantastic stuff as long as you're armed with a pencil and a trusty pad of graph paper!

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:19 am

Doing overtime at the mo so I've not had time to play much at home (and when I'm there the misses is usually whacking pinatas with a spade)

Have taken the wii to wok though and lunchtime bomberman sessions have been ace. I now have a desk drawer full of gamecube controllers though :-)

I thought yesterday was going to end up in QA vs. programmers team games but we didn't have much time left once the 5th guy had finished stuffing his face to join in, word seems to be spreading though, so we should be able to rustle up at least 6 players before the end of the week
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:31 am

Mario kart and Meteos - DS
Lego Indiana Jones - 360
COD4 - PC
Battlefield Bad Company - 360
Mario Strikers - Wii (which somehow reminds me of Speedball 2 :? )

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:44 am

Still playing Warriors Orochi for the Xbox 360. I'm now just going through unlocking all the gallery pictures and stuff for every character. Great game!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:46 am

at work,during breaks,i am mostly playing spore (ds)
at home (time permitting) i am playing jedi outcast (gc)...warming up for friday!

note to self....try to play star wars before playing samba de amigo! :D
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:33 am

random_dave wrote:Doing overtime at the mo so I've not had time to play much at home (and when I'm there the misses is usually whacking pinatas with a spade)

Have taken the wii to wok though and lunchtime bomberman sessions have been ace. I now have a desk drawer full of gamecube controllers though :-)

I thought yesterday was going to end up in QA vs. programmers team games but we didn't have much time left once the 5th guy had finished stuffing his face to join in, word seems to be spreading though, so we should be able to rustle up at least 6 players before the end of the week
Now that IS a good idea. We have a big plasma TV at work which is sitting not doing anything at the moment (and muggins here has been given the task of getting a presentation running on it). I might suggest connecting an old PC to it and having some sessions on Bomberman. One of the girls in the office has already said she's into the 'old games' like Sonic and she often plays them on her modded original XBOX! :-)

Rob

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:20 am

Finally managed to beat medium guitar and singing on rockband and am now beginning my assault on med drums. which reminds me....a full band sesh is long overdue!

am currently waiting for the new bikes pack to download on Burnout Paradise and then I will be giving that an extended play!