What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Returning to some old PS2 games to see if they've stood up over time, or can be got shot of. First up: Sensible Soccer 2006. Played this to death when I first got it, and it's still super-addictive now, despite a few niggling issues (namely load times...) and rather bare-bones presentation (seriously, look at the the state of the cardboard cut-out crowd!).

Got sucked back into my custom team again, and the neverending quest to beat all of the leagues. Lost the final of a cup this evening due to a last minute freak goal where the ball pinged off an opposition defender and flew the length of the field, straight over my keeper's head! 94th minute! To be honest, it LOOKED like a glitch and not a goal that the CPU player had actually attempted. Annoying but amusing at the same time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:23 am

Gauntlet ! Its that magical time i've been waiting for as my 5 year old lad just loves Gauntlet so been playing lots of 2 player on that. He wants to get to the end he keeps saying, told him theres no ending it keeps carrying on forever ! Also more 2 player action, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:03 pm

Stopped playing Zack and Wiki,I kept failing things due to controller issues, it kept spazing out
Also Emergency heroes, the car chases would of been a lot better if it actually registered hits.

But playing Real heroes fire fighter, it seems like it might be really good

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:32 am

Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance. I used to enjoy this but now? It's pretty intolerable. Yes, some things are so bad that they're good but, overall, it's just bad. The changing-clothes-to-avoid-attention mechanic is interesting at first but it soon wears thin because it has to be done so frequently, and you wind up using all of your cash to buy new clothes.

Partners are useless, and I nearly died in a fight that started between my current partner and another recruit that I was meeting up with.

Getting arrested is tedious as f*** too. Bribes are too expensive so you have to fight your way out of the cells, and if you lose against all of the cops, the bribe (that you already couldn't afford) has increased! Back to the cells to try and escape again. If you make it out of the station, there are more police on the streets outside and, if you make it past THEM, your 100% wanted level will cause a police car full of cops to arrive in the next area before you can make it back to the bar to swap clothes. Oh and they confiscated all of your health restoratives at the station so good luck.

I'm shocked that I used to enjoy this game to be honest.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:17 pm

Seeing il have no switch games till next month, I had a go on tetris 99. I had a few places in the 50's but the wife was straight in the top ten. Gonna have a look through the snes app, see what that's like.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:37 pm

SPECCY SATURDAY
The Trap Door
Everyone's A Wally
Spy Vs Spy
Cisco Heat
Mermaid Madness

:D :D
Press Play On Tape

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Had enough of Beatdown. It's now in the pile of stuff to be ebayed.

Moved onto replaying Death By Degrees. Not quite as good as I remembered but still a lot more enjoyable than reviews in period made out. Put it this way: I spent a good few hours playing it without realising where the time went. Just a shame that some of the more advanced combat moves are a bit redundant because they're just too fiddly to pull off under pressure when surrounded by a load of enemies. The x-ray attacks are awesome though. I think I'll be seeing this one through to the end all over again and probably holding onto it.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Takeover on the Switch which is a class scrolling fighter very much Streets of Rage but you get a SCI driving section where you shoot at cars as you chase a truck down a freeway.

Days Gone but gave up on that wasn’t keen on all the cannibalism and torture.

Trails of Mana using Lisa who’s name has her name changed to something weird
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:42 pm

I had planned on finishing Mad Max, but I saw that Metro Exodus was leaving Game Pass, and since I've finished the first 2 this year I figured I should go for the 3rd. So far so good, but it's a very different beast to the others.

I'm also back into VR in a big way and after finishing Astor Bot and Theseus on PSVR, I'm playing Accounting Plus which I've decided to Platinum... and I've been playing Megadrive Classics via VR. I'm near the end of Wonderboy 3 thanks to judicious use of the rewind function!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:44 pm

MEGA DRIVE MONDAY
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Haunting Starring Polterguy
ToeJam & Earl In Panic On Funkotron
After Burner II
Techno Cop

8) 8)
Press Play On Tape

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:22 pm

Had to stop playing Real heroes firefighter as I got to a bit that I think is glitched, rescue paintings and put out the fire, but the fire bar don't go down. Watched some videos of that bit and i'm doing the same, but with no results
Shame, it was enjoyable, id get it on a newer system, but yeah, it got a bit of a graphical downgrade
On to Deadly creatures, it seems decent, but its to hot to play any game that requires movement
On to A shadows tail, seems decent

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Scramble on MAME for Retroleague. Think I remember playing this back in the day, hopefully finish higher in the leaderboard than I did last week.

Was gifted Tony Troops 2 on Xbox One so finally tried that. As close to Cannon Fodder as I've seen over the years, and has a cool zombie mode ala COD for a quick play too.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

SpecChum81

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:04 pm

SPECCY SATURDAY
Jack The Nipper
Atic Atac
Who Dares Wins
Yogi Bear
The Addams Family

8) :D
Press Play On Tape

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:40 pm

Speaking of Atic Atac, I just watched a speedrun of it in 4:40.

Under ten minutes is pretty good going though. The random elements don't always line up to let you have a fast run.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:57 am

Currently playing each day on the XBOX One:
Gold with your Friends from the XBOX Game Pass.