What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:33 am

More backlog reduction
On PS2
Knight rider, urgh platforming in a car
Knight rider 2 same
Top gun, Blast entertainment fart out another crappy game
Top gun combat zones, better than the other one, but still a prig to play
Mad maestro, reminds me why im no good at rhythm games
Urban reign, both great and frustrating

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8356
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:54 am

ulrich7ad wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:19 am
Shadow of the colossus ps4. Wasn't fussed on the original, found the controls to be lacking. That issue hasn't changed for me so may jack it in. Looks decent though.
Yeah, I was quite disappointed they didn't improve the controls or camera in any way from the original too, I played through it to the end but wasn't fussed about sticking with it to get all the trophies because of that.

I've made a start on Sekiro. What I wish I'd known before getting it (playing on Xbox One) that Attack and Block are set to the right and left 'bumper' buttons, probably the two most uncomfortable and unresponsive feeling buttons on the X1 pad to use (for me, anyway). So far so good though, I've enjoyed the first couple of hours or so that I've played.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:35 am

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:27 am
That's a bit of a bummer. I thought we might see another oddity or two after Motor Raid, maybe Rad Mobile, AB Cop, or my long-awaited OutRunners port.... oh well.
Outrunners might have some licensing issues (I forget if they used real or fake cars in that one). I definitely want a port though, its so darn fun to play. That said, their focus was on more new content outside of legacy mini games for 7 - the business mini game you get is really engaging, Dragon Kart is also really, really fun when your shaving seconds off your best time, the quizzes were also pretty fun (especially the Sega stuff) but some quizzes were a pain to clear (asking me about figure skating, like I'd ever know the answer to that!)

Its definitely a solid base for the eventual Yakuza 8 - flesh out and refine parts of the combat, and hopefully they add more arcade stuff to the game. Or just give me VF5 and Outrun again, as honestly those still haven't gotten boring!
Megamixer wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:23 pm
Very deep into Yakuza Kiwami 2 at the moment. Possibly my favourite so far but, then again, Yakuza 2 was always my favourite prior to this. That said, I enjoyed Yakuza 0 so much that the old goalposts have been moved somewhat.

The batting in this game can really just go do one though. I don't understand why they have to keep changing the controls with every sequel. Grinding out points to earn the two baseball bat tomes was painful. Had to use a gamefaqs guide to predict where the ball would go each time and just keep repeating the homerun contest over and over and over.
Kiwami 2, while I have some issues with omissions over the base 2 (like Club Adam being cut as a mini game...) and me preferring the old combat, I really love. Some of those long fights, especially toward the end are a blast. Game looks beautiful as well.
Mini game wise, I quite like the change to baseball, 5 I guess was king in the way it had both new and old styles. That said, I really don't like what they did to darts :( All the technique was sucked out of it, its so easy now ;(
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
SpecChum81
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:11 am
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:06 pm

MEGA DRIVE MONDAY

X-Men
Cheese Cat-Astrophe Starring Speedy Gonzales
Skitchin
Fantastic Dizzy
Prince Of Persia

8) 8)
Press Play On Tape

User avatar
MattySlug
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:20 am
Location: Australia

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by MattySlug » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:28 am

Mama Rose has lately been playing Realm Royale!
She has got quite alot of GS for the XBOX Live from it!
And is now on 1565GS!
Exciting!
(I am a little obsessed with peoples GamerScore for the XBOX.)

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15001
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:48 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:35 am
Kiwami 2, while I have some issues with omissions over the base 2 (like Club Adam being cut as a mini game...) and me preferring the old combat, I really love. Some of those long fights, especially toward the end are a blast. Game looks beautiful as well.
Mini game wise, I quite like the change to baseball, 5 I guess was king in the way it had both new and old styles. That said, I really don't like what they did to darts :( All the technique was sucked out of it, its so easy now ;(
I completely forgot that the Club Adam stuff was originally in 2. I did wonder about it a while back but, for some reason, thought that it must have been in Yakuza 3. It's a shame but I'm glad they replaced the hostess management thing with a similar mini game to Yakuza 0's, especially since it carries on the story with Yuki, Youda and Majima.

I looked through the manual of PS2 Yakuza 2 the other day and it's funny seeing the stuff that was in that game that isn't in this one and how much things have been updated in general.

And yes, I agree with darts. I was shocked that it was so easy to beat even the toughest of the opponents.

Golf was fun though. I just completed it yesterday. The Advanced course of Closest to the Pin took a fair few attempts!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:48 pm
ShadowMan wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:35 am
Kiwami 2, while I have some issues with omissions over the base 2 (like Club Adam being cut as a mini game...) and me preferring the old combat, I really love. Some of those long fights, especially toward the end are a blast. Game looks beautiful as well.
Mini game wise, I quite like the change to baseball, 5 I guess was king in the way it had both new and old styles. That said, I really don't like what they did to darts :( All the technique was sucked out of it, its so easy now ;(
I completely forgot that the Club Adam stuff was originally in 2. I did wonder about it a while back but, for some reason, thought that it must have been in Yakuza 3. It's a shame but I'm glad they replaced the hostess management thing with a similar mini game to Yakuza 0's, especially since it carries on the story with Yuki, Youda and Majima.

I looked through the manual of PS2 Yakuza 2 the other day and it's funny seeing the stuff that was in that game that isn't in this one and how much things have been updated in general.

And yes, I agree with darts. I was shocked that it was so easy to beat even the toughest of the opponents.

Golf was fun though. I just completed it yesterday. The Advanced course of Closest to the Pin took a fair few attempts!
I do appreciate how the original version of 2 and Kiwami 2 are different enough so that both are well worth replaying. Pity that they never localised the PS3 remasters of 1&2, as those are the ones I use these days for the PS2 versions, just by far the best versions of the originals out there.

As for Golf, they reuse that mini game in 7, but change the way aiming works in the mini game so, in my opinion, its even better. Ended up playing quite a bit and really enjoying it. But I do miss the proper golf courses from 3 and 4 :(
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Star trek games on PS2
Encounters, its crap, feels like a flash game
Shattered Universe, now where Treking, a plot that follows on from the show, space battles in a shuttle craft.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15001
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:33 am
Urban reign, both great and frustrating
I really liked this game; it just takes a while to get used to how the game wants to be played. Found that it was more about countering/evading and following-up rather than playing it like a normal beat 'em up.

The last few battles were absolutely brutal though and leave no room for error.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:39 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:33 am
Urban reign, both great and frustrating
I really liked this game; it just takes a while to get used to how the game wants to be played. Found that it was more about countering/evading and following-up rather than playing it like a normal beat 'em up.

The last few battles were absolutely brutal though and leave no room for error.
Kinda rage quit on the boxer one.
The bloody camera dont help

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15001
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:45 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:39 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:33 am
Urban reign, both great and frustrating
I really liked this game; it just takes a while to get used to how the game wants to be played. Found that it was more about countering/evading and following-up rather than playing it like a normal beat 'em up.

The last few battles were absolutely brutal though and leave no room for error.
Kinda rage quit on the boxer one.
The bloody camera dont help
I think the game has 100 levels/stages? It was 98 or 99 that was the worst of them all for me - worse than the final boss, even. I can't remember the enemies exactly but I think it was two huge blokes that could kill you in no time but took an eternity to kill off.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:54 pm

seems it has no way of getting your stats up as well, its a keeper anyway as it seems to fall into the "GOD HAND" style of it will kick your arse if your not

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15001
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:11 pm

Once I service my PS2 (been disconnected for ages due a sticking disc tray and not reading CD games) I need to play God Hand again. What a game that was.

Just looking now - it's a £30-£40 game these days. Glad I got mine when it only went for between £10-£15.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:45 am

I loved Urban Reign. Once the countering clicked for me I flew through the game. One of my favourite experiences on the PS2, I really need to replay it when I get the chance...

Meanwhile I've been tidying up my backlog as Nioh 2 and Doom Eternal approaches...

Finished Assault Android Cactus yesterday, a really good twin stick shooter, despite finishing the game I kinda want to aim for a few more trophies just for the heck of it, its a really fun game.

Mega Man Zero 2 - doing an A rank run and am up to Temple of the Flame (4 levels to go). Its been tricky in places, but that's how I like my Mega Man! I'll move onto Zero 3 once I finish off the last couple of stages.

Cleared all the ghost survivor missions on RE2 ahead of 3's remake coming next month. The last one (the wave based mode in the convenience store) was a tough one to clear, you get swamped in later waves and if you aren't efficient in crowd control it becomes impossible to win. But super satisfying when you do finally do it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:14 am

Yakuza Fury - Its kinda why I dislike a lot of modern beat-em-ups, rather than being on a 2D plane, its trying to be 3D, but locked in 2D. Also no defensive options unless you put on a leather jacket. the CPU can also be a git by running away then doing a pishy running attack

Captain Scarlet - THIS COULD OF BEEN GOOD!! If the cars didn't handle like they are stuck on dirt

City Crisis - It's a keeper, budget game that might be fun

Harvest Fishing - rebranded River king game, COMFY AS F**K!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests