What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

BellyFullOfHell

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:14 am

The Last Ginja wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:33 pm
Dark Souls on the PS4...Why oh why did I do this to myself? It's a bloody great game, but I'm censored at it.

Yet even though I'm on my 10th attempt at the same boss I still want to go back for more. I don't seem to be able to make any progress with this current boss, The Capra Demon though. Every time I got into his area he and his dog friends pummel me. He seems the first cheap enemy I've come across. I will get this bastard though.

I even took my first foray into streaming last week and had 5 mates watching me, which helped me persevere to this point. One had played it before and gave me tips. The rest just took the censored out of me!!!
Capra was a MASSIVE wall for me, and responsible for putting me off the game on my very first attempt in the X360 era.
Trick is to run straight past him when you first enter the arena, and straight up the stairs. Tuck yourself into the corner there, and the dogs will attempt to make their way up, usually one at a time. See them off, then he'll start to do the odd jumping attack at you with a huge pause after it, it's just a case of doing the plunging attack on Cappy, legging it back up the stairs, rinse and repeat. Keep at it, you WILL get it.

I went from abandoning it on my first attempt, to completing it on 360 to New Game ++, then again on PS4, then finally last year, my sirst ever solo playthrough. It was tremendously satisfying, though I doubt I'll attempt it with any of the others.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:09 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:17 am
icemann wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:13 am
Give me New Vegas or Fallout 3 over that any day of the week. It looks nice and all, but it is not an RPG at all compared to the previous games. Plus them removing the skill system, and the changes to the conversation system was just criminal.
Even fallout 3 is a pretty lightweight RPG, rhough I think on balance I liked 3 the most. I liked the map, with the rural outer areas then I'd go on "sorties" into the city ruins. I also really liked using the subway to move around, even if it was (probably) only included as a work around the loading screens.
The Subways would annoy me, I preffered using the open where possible which I suppose isnt always the best choice when you're easy to spot from a snipers nest because you decided Abraham Lincolns Hat was more appropiate than your combat helmet.
Watching you sleep since 1990

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:39 am

I thought the ruined subways were really atmospheric.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:42 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:14 am
The Last Ginja wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:33 pm
Dark Souls on the PS4...Why oh why did I do this to myself? It's a bloody great game, but I'm censored at it.

Yet even though I'm on my 10th attempt at the same boss I still want to go back for more. I don't seem to be able to make any progress with this current boss, The Capra Demon though. Every time I got into his area he and his dog friends pummel me. He seems the first cheap enemy I've come across. I will get this bastard though.

I even took my first foray into streaming last week and had 5 mates watching me, which helped me persevere to this point. One had played it before and gave me tips. The rest just took the censored out of me!!!
Capra was a MASSIVE wall for me, and responsible for putting me off the game on my very first attempt in the X360 era.
Trick is to run straight past him when you first enter the arena, and straight up the stairs. Tuck yourself into the corner there, and the dogs will attempt to make their way up, usually one at a time. See them off, then he'll start to do the odd jumping attack at you with a huge pause after it, it's just a case of doing the plunging attack on Cappy, legging it back up the stairs, rinse and repeat. Keep at it, you WILL get it.

I went from abandoning it on my first attempt, to completing it on 360 to New Game ++, then again on PS4, then finally last year, my sirst ever solo playthrough. It was tremendously satisfying, though I doubt I'll attempt it with any of the others.
I've tried repeatedly to get past him but the dogs stun lock me every time. I attempted to just run, block his first attack, I tried left, I tried right. No joy. I will do it though as the sense of satisfaction in finally beating a boss is immense.

Look forward to my frequent updates as I get pissed off with every subsequent boss :)

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:47 pm

I've never tried it myself (honest), but apparently you can also sit outside the arena, throw dung pies over one of the walls, and poison him before you step foot in there.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Been playing Oxenfree, Devil May Cry 5 (love the series, even liked 4 which was underrated) and as usual a ridiculous amount of Rocket Leaguw

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:56 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:47 pm
I've never tried it myself (honest), but apparently you can also sit outside the arena, throw dung pies over one of the walls, and poison him before you step foot in there.
:lol: I didn't have to resort to that. Made it up the stairs and dropped on his head while attacking 4 or 5 times did it. Got the key and made it to the next area. Got lost in there for over an hour taking out every rat, goo monster and frog. Found the Gaping Dragon/demon then spent another hour figuring out a quick route back to him.

I've had 4 attempts, with the best being getting him down to 1/4 health. I've pretty much got him figured maybe 1 or 2 more and I'll have him done. Then it'll be onwards and upwards/downwards who knows? I'm refusing to use a guide and brute forcing it all the way :D

Such a good game. I'm kind of annoyed it tool me this long to get into it, but also happy that I have 2 and 3 not to mention Bloodborne and Sekiro to go. Then if I fancy them Lords of the Fallen and The Surge to get more Souls vibes.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Getting quite far into FFVII, took me a while to get into it but I'm hooked now, I can see why it was so popular back in the day and why it's still held in high regard.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:16 am

The Last Ginja wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:56 pm
BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:47 pm
:lol: I didn't have to resort to that. Made it up the stairs and dropped on his head while attacking 4 or 5 times did it. Got the key and made it to the next area. Got lost in there for over an hour taking out every rat, goo monster and frog. Found the Gaping Dragon/demon then spent another hour figuring out a quick route back to him.

I've had 4 attempts, with the best being getting him down to 1/4 health. I've pretty much got him figured maybe 1 or 2 more and I'll have him done. Then it'll be onwards and upwards/downwards who knows? I'm refusing to use a guide and brute forcing it all the way :D

Such a good game. I'm kind of annoyed it tool me this long to get into it, but also happy that I have 2 and 3 not to mention Bloodborne and Sekiro to go. Then if I fancy them Lords of the Fallen and The Surge to get more Souls vibes.
Nice, if there was one game I could scrub from memory and start all over again it'd be Souls.
The next two are good, but more a series of vaguely interconnected levels rather than the giant world in display here.
Bloodborne... I hit my skill ceiling there. Finished, but only with copious abuse of summoning. Haven't tried out Sekiro yet after hearing that it's supposed to be the hardest of the bunch. One for a sale.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Playing through the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games on the Xbox.

So much fun.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:54 am

Agents of Mayhem, action is all right but it was glitchy and some of the loading was a little slow but given the pittance I paid when I got it I'm not that bothered.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:18 am

I said I'd take a hiatus from playing Yakuza games after burning out on 5 but I guess I lied to myself because I've started Yakuza 0 and am absolutely hooked all over again! Love the arcade games, the new "friend" system, collecting the telephone cards of the girls and the updates to the battle system. The substories haven't disappointed either with so many of them being hilarious. Kiryu instructing a dominatrix for example and Majima infiltrating a crazy cult. Brilliant.

The only thing I'm missing at the moment are some of the heat moves from the last few games such as riding a bicycle and the hostess clubs but overall it's still as absorbing as ever.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:33 pm

I think Yakuza 0 is my favourite of the ones I've played so far (0/Kiwami/5/6). I've got Kiwami 2 on the way for my birthday in a few weeks, time to get sucked in all over again.

Currently playing the amazing Ninja Spirit, which stealth-released on the Switch shop last night. Surely one of the best 2D run & gun games of all time.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:33 pm
I've got Kiwami 2 on the way for my birthday in a few weeks, time to get sucked in all over again.
I think we must be twins! I had a bunch of Amazon giftcards for my birthday a few days ago so ordered the steelbook edition of Kiwami 2. It was the last one I needed.

I've been playing the series since the original on PS2 so it's a bit surreal (and it makes me feel old!) to be playing remakes of those older games in amongst new sequels.

Yakuza 2 for the PS2 was my favourite of them all though so I'm looking forward to eventually making it onto Kiwami 2.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

You've Been Gamed

Post by You've Been Gamed » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:00 pm

I'm currently playing Days Gone and still wading through Red Dead 2 on the PS4, and Minecraft and Resident Evil 4 on the Switch, as well as a whole bunch of PS2 and Xbox games I picked up on the cheap last week from Cex!