What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

shadowflare7799

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by shadowflare7799 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:29 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 am
I've completed the world tour of Sonic All-Stars Transformed on hard, but there's still two events locked behind a 200 star gate, which would mean completing all events on expert. I don't think I have the patience for that, the skill-based events are fine, but the races have even dirtier AI than MK8.

Started Silent Hill Downpour - the atmosphere is spot-on, but my god, the combat is dreadful. Sad, as I'm quite enjoying the game itself.
I played Silent Hill Downpour on the xbox 360 shortly after it was released and I absolutely loved it!! It's one of my favorite games and if you enjoyed the atmosphere and story so far then you're going to love the game. It's the best SH game since SH 3 and that's saying something and from a company Vatra Games that only released two games, they did a great job with the license imho and it's worth playing.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC78Jx4 ... gnbVM6Tp4g

My youtube gaming channel speedruns and no deathruns of both classic and modern games.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:29 pm

shadowflare7799 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:29 pm
BellyFullOfHell wrote:
I've completed the world tour of Sonic All-Stars Transformed on hard, but there's still two events locked behind a 200 star gate, which would mean completing all events on expert. I don't think I have the patience for that, the skill-based events are fine, but the races have even dirtier AI than MK8.

Started Silent Hill Downpour - the atmosphere is spot-on, but my god, the combat is dreadful. Sad, as I'm quite enjoying the game itself.
I played Silent Hill Downpour on the xbox 360 shortly after it was released and I absolutely loved it!! It's one of my favorite games and if you enjoyed the atmosphere and story so far then you're going to love the game. It's the best SH game since SH 3 and that's saying something and from a company Vatra Games that only released two games, they did a great job with the license imho and it's worth playing.
Seconded on Downpour, it deserves more praise than it got. The side content in the game was actually really well done for the most part, I loved some of the puzzles we got for side missions like the whole thing with the theatre, the missing girl etc.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

shadowflare7799

Post by shadowflare7799 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:28 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:29 pm
shadowflare7799 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:29 pm
BellyFullOfHell wrote:

Seconded on Downpour, it deserves more praise than it got. The side content in the game was actually really well done for the most part, I loved some of the puzzles we got for side missions like the whole thing with the theatre, the missing girl etc.
Yeah, the theatre side mission in downpour was nothing short of great. A lot of creativity went into the game and its a shame its not more popular than it is. I'd like to see the series continue on rather than have the game rebooted. A lot of movies and games today are being rebooted and I'd like to see SH stay the way that it is just do a fresh new entry. :) Although I will say that Silent Hills looked great its too bad that it got cancelled. From the demo that we got it looked like it was going to be something great.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC78Jx4 ... gnbVM6Tp4g

My youtube gaming channel speedruns and no deathruns of both classic and modern games.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Trying to ease myself into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

arcadez

Post by arcadez » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Tad Corp's Heated Barrel using my FBNeo emulator.

Arcade Addict

You've Been Gamed

Post by You've Been Gamed » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:02 pm

Played some Brian Lara Cricket 96 this weekend on the Sega Megadrive for my YouTube gaming channel. That was fun!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:20 pm

MEGA DRIVE MONDAY

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors Of The Eternal Sun
Star Trek The Next Generation: Echoes From The Past
Back To The Future III

:D 8) :D
Press Play On Tape

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:36 am

Fallout 4, fairly easy to immerse myself in it so makes things a bit more tolerable, currently exploring Nukaworld and I'm hoping Far Harbour will unglitch itself so I can continue my quests there.
Watching you sleep since 1990

icemann

Post by icemann » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:13 am

Give me New Vegas or Fallout 3 over that any day of the week. It looks nice and all, but it is not an RPG at all compared to the previous games. Plus them removing the skill system, and the changes to the conversation system was just criminal.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:05 am

icemann wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:13 am
Give me New Vegas or Fallout 3 over that any day of the week. It looks nice and all, but it is not an RPG at all compared to the previous games. Plus them removing the skill system, and the changes to the conversation system was just criminal.
I've got both in all singing all dancing forms, I was playing through 3 a while back but it just kept crashing out on the laptop and I only have Broken steel on my Xbox version vs the full set on PC.
Watching you sleep since 1990

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 am

Decided to tackle some of my backlog before any more pickups, so started Salt & Sanctuary. Went OK initially, first two areas and bosses went down without too much effort, then I hit Whispering Woods. Yuck. Platforming with bottomless pits mixed with enemies that can snipe and knock-back even from off-screen already had me raging by the time I hit the Mad Conjurer. Think that guy took me about twenty attempts, even using the highest poison-resist armour I had, the bar fills up so quickly, and than saps health at such a rate, that the whole fight was won or lost purely on what attacks he decided to throw out. Finally won when I went back to explore the area, found some huge 2-handed sword and levelled that up a few times, then abandoned any pretence at defending and just tried to kill him before he did me.

It's a good attempt at transposing the Soul's formula into 2D, but on this occasion I feel that the game definitely suffers for it. Being set on a pure 2D plane removes so much complexity from the combat that a lot of what makes the Souls games so satisfying is lost, a lot of combat here boils down to waiting for enemies to telegraph a move, rolling through them, and hitting from behind. Rinse and repeat.

Going to pick back up with Downpour tonight. At one point in my last game, every enemy I'd avoided (a good 7-8 of them, due to the awful combat) ended chasing me around a main road, like some bizarre Benny Hill sketch. Things improved when I made it into the apartment building and completed the thief's side-quest, so I'm hoping for more of that, and less of the badly-signposted, combat-heavy stuff I've already played through.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 am

Decided to tackle some of my backlog before any more pickups, so started Salt & Sanctuary. Went OK initially, first two areas and bosses went down without too much effort, then I hit Whispering Woods. Yuck. Platforming with bottomless pits mixed with enemies that can snipe and knock-back even from off-screen already had me raging by the time I hit the Mad Conjurer. Think that guy took me about twenty attempts, even using the highest poison-resist armour I had, the bar fills up so quickly, and than saps health at such a rate, that the whole fight was won or lost purely on what attacks he decided to throw out. Finally won when I went back to explore the area, found some huge 2-handed sword and levelled that up a few times, then abandoned any pretence at defending and just tried to kill him before he did me.

It's a good attempt at transposing the Soul's formula into 2D, but on this occasion I feel that the game definitely suffers for it. Being set on a pure 2D plane removes so much complexity from the combat that a lot of what makes the Souls games so satisfying is lost, a lot of combat here boils down to waiting for enemies to telegraph a move, rolling through them, and hitting from behind. Rinse and repeat.

Going to pick back up with Downpour tonight. At one point in my last game, every enemy I'd avoided (a good 7-8 of them, due to the awful combat) ended chasing me around a main road, like some bizarre Benny Hill sketch. Things improved when I made it into the apartment building and completed the thief's side-quest, so I'm hoping for more of that, and less of the badly-signposted, combat-heavy stuff I've already played through.

doctorRetro

Post by doctorRetro » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Currently playing Journey to Silius for the NES for the first time. I didn't know this game existed, let alone that it's actually quite good. Started on it yesterday with the goal of having it finished by this weekend.

I can make it to Level 3 no problem but things get dicey after that, need to learn all the enemy patterns, jumps, etc. It's only 5-6 levels so hopefully it doesn't get super cheap later on. Based on other's feedback, that's not the case.

Wish me luck, Colony 428 ain't gonna save itself! :D

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Dark Souls on the PS4...Why oh why did I do this to myself? It's a bloody great game, but I'm censored at it.

Yet even though I'm on my 10th attempt at the same boss I still want to go back for more. I don't seem to be able to make any progress with this current boss, The Capra Demon though. Every time I got into his area he and his dog friends pummel me. He seems the first cheap enemy I've come across. I will get this bastard though.

I even took my first foray into streaming last week and had 5 mates watching me, which helped me persevere to this point. One had played it before and gave me tips. The rest just took the censored out of me!!!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:17 am

icemann wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:13 am
Even fallout 3 is a pretty lightweight RPG, rhough I think on balance I liked 3 the most. I liked the map, with the rural outer areas then I'd go on "sorties" into the city ruins. I also really liked using the subway to move around, even if it was (probably) only included as a work around the loading screens.