What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:22 am

C=Style wrote: Also Rollcage Stage II, used to love this game, obviously it's well dated looking now but it's still pretty fast and has a great soundtrack.
I bought that soundtrack on vinyl, there are a few crackers on there.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:39 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Just finished Condemned I really liked the storyline.

Starting FEAR tonight
Your gonna be a right miserable git after playing through those two, maybe a bit of Super Mario Galaxy perhaps?

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:45 pm

Counter-Strike: Source (PC)
Fallen Empire: Legions Beta (PC) - Click for video/signup.

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:09 pm

Robotech: The Macross Saga - GBA

Fantastic game. Hard as nails though.

Now rest young JPEG, rest in your correct thread.
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

Ringman

Post by Ringman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Several at once actually but here's my list:

Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos (PC)
Castlevania 3 (NES)
Metroid 2 (GB)
Transcendence (PC) - a really cool rpg/roguelike/arcade space shooting game
Phoenix Wright(NDS)
Don't Go it Alone (PC) - haunted house pseudo 3d dungeon crawler
Duke Nukem 1 Episode 2(PC)
Castle of the Four winds(PC) - rougelike
Dwarf Fortress (PC) - strategy/sim/roguelike
Fatal Frame 2 Directors Cut (Xbox)

I've got more on the "fence", but those are the one's I've been playing consistently.

Yeah long list I know but believe it or not I'm close to beating most of them anyway.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:06 pm

How is Transcendence doing? I haven't looked into it for a long time.

Me, I'm bearing down on the end of MGS4, and while I still have reservations about the title I can't deny I'm absolutely thrilled by it at this point. I've stopped myself from playing tonight purely because I'm keeping in mind the amount of cutscenes coming up at the end. I don't want to be here at 3AM falling asleep as the credits roll :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:17 pm

Ringman wrote:Several at once actually but here's my list:

Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos (PC)
Castlevania 3 (NES)
Metroid 2 (GB)
Transcendence (PC) - a really cool rpg/roguelike/arcade space shooting game
Phoenix Wright(NDS)
Don't Go it Alone (PC) - haunted house pseudo 3d dungeon crawler
Duke Nukem 1 Episode 2(PC)
Castle of the Four winds(PC) - rougelike
Dwarf Fortress (PC) - strategy/sim/roguelike
Fatal Frame 2 Directors Cut (Xbox)

I've got more on the "fence", but those are the one's I've been playing consistently.

Yeah long list I know but believe it or not I'm close to beating most of them anyway.
Sounds interesting , never heard of it before though?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:26 pm

djcarlos wrote:
C=Style wrote: Also Rollcage Stage II, used to love this game, obviously it's well dated looking now but it's still pretty fast and has a great soundtrack.
I bought that soundtrack on vinyl, there are a few crackers on there.
Yeah the soundtrack genuinely surprised me back in the day as it's very DnB heavy with a nice selection of underground artists. Certainly went some way into making the game one of my favourites.

Anyway, between Forza 2 and errr Forza 2 :D I've been playing a bit of Namco's Phelios. I can honestly say I never paid it any attention (possibly due to the lame MD conversion) and it's a top game. Very good indeed.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:47 am

Got back to Ninja Gaiden 2 yesterday. Rather embaressingly got my ass handed to me twice in a row by a small group of Ninja's as I had completely forgotton the art of blocking/countering etc. After a couple of goes I was right back on track. Really love the combat in this game, so satisfying to maul a large group of enemies without so much as getting hit. 4th boss had a couple of really fast grab attacks that caught me off guard a couple of times before I got his pattern down.

Also gave Contra 4 a try. All the high review scores were really justified for this one. It looks incredible, the sprites are large and well animated and the backdrops are equally amazing to look at. Hard as nails to begin with, it took me 4 attempts to clear the first stage on Normal but I'm getting the hang of it now (having the game over 2 screens takes some getting used to). From what I've seen so far though, its oozing with loads of nods to past Contra games from the opening level and boss being a reimagining of Contra's first stage to classic music and much more. It really needs to get a Euro release, if not it is well worth importing. Any fan of Contra or the genre really needs to play this!

Also the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Remix HD beta has finally gone live, is anyone else trying this? I'm up for a few multi player games (my gamertag is Gouki16uk)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:00 am

I'm all about Metal Gear Online at the moment. Okay, not completely. Had some matches in Bad Company (PS3) with a mate yesterday. It's just a shame, that you can't mute other players in your squad. When I'm playing, I'm usually in Skype. So no headset on the PS3 which brings the problem that every talking goes straight out of the speakers.
If there now is a player in your squad who's shouting one whole round (which can last very very long in Bad Company) and starts breathing like Darth Vader throughout the next one, then your fingers get real real twitchy to do a teamkill. It's a pity that Dice haven't thought of that....

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:41 am

Lumines,SF Alpha 3 and Outrun 2006 on the PSP
Singstar 2 on the PS3
SF Alpha 3 on the Dreamcast
Outrun on the Saturn

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:00 am

Metroid Prime Pinball and Soul Bubbles on the DS... I'm loving Soul Bubbles, very well made.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:26 am

ShadowMan wrote: Also the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Remix HD beta has finally gone live, is anyone else trying this? I'm up for a few multi player games (my gamertag is Gouki16uk)
I took the plunge last night and bought Commandos 3 for this Streetfighter Beta. From what I saw I wasn't too impressed. It uses only a tiny bit of the screen, you would think they would at least make it widescreen compatible like every other game on XBLA and it's not running very smoothly at all. That may just be bad first impressions, but I was disappointed no question.

On top of this it always seems to crash every time I come out of a match.

It is only a BETA so I would assume things are going to improve, and I would hope by a lot before I shell out on it.

If I see you about I might have a couple of games with you.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:43 am

C=Style wrote:
ShadowMan wrote: Also the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Remix HD beta has finally gone live, is anyone else trying this? I'm up for a few multi player games (my gamertag is Gouki16uk)
I took the plunge last night and bought Commandos 3 for this Streetfighter Beta. From what I saw I wasn't too impressed. It uses only a tiny bit of the screen, you would think they would at least make it widescreen compatible like every other game on XBLA and it's not running very smoothly at all. That may just be bad first impressions, but I was disappointed no question.

On top of this it always seems to crash every time I come out of a match.

It is only a BETA so I would assume things are going to improve, and I would hope by a lot before I shell out on it.

If I see you about I might have a couple of games with you.
Go into the help/options screen and you can change the picture to Widescreen, Until I did that I thought the same as you! I didn't get any crashing when playing around on it this morning which was a relief. Hopefully it will be sorted out for the final version!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:49 am

lol oh that's handy. Cheers for the tip, I was in the options changing my controls but didn't notice this one. Thank God for that. :)