What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:00 pm

MEGA DRIVE MONDAY

Fantasy Zone
Superman
Cannon Fodder
Saturday Night Slam Masters

:D 8)
Press Play On Tape

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Just another Mega Drive Monday...

Road Rash
ESWAT
Pit-Fighter
Columns
Press Play On Tape

icemann

Post by icemann » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 am

Currently playing Batman Arkham City. Pretty good overall.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:29 am

Almost done S ranking the missions in Devil May Cry 5. Loving it. Also been playing several ports of Street Fighter 2 - Gameboy, and Mega Drive, Switch and Snes ports of Championship/Turbo editions. Never realised how hilariously low the frame rate on the GB version was (its legit awful). But it does cement my stance of loving Turbo the second most in the SF2 releases, Super was such a step down in that regard mainly due to the speed reduction (Super Turbo still the best in the series for me, takes what I love about Turbo but improving the characters/adding more).

Also been playing lots of DJMax Portable 2 on the PSP. Missions are still really evil, but otherwise its just as addictive as ever, I'll be playing this one for a long while.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

SpecChum81

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:38 pm

SPECCY SATURDAY!!

Jack The Nipper
Play It Again, Sam
Mr. Heli
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
Licence To Kill

:D
Press Play On Tape

SpecChum81

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:45 pm

MEGA DRIVE MONDAY

Rocket Knight Adventures
X-Men
Striker
Fantastic Dizzy
Press Play On Tape

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:56 am

SpecChum81 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Road Rash
ESWAT
Pit-Fighter
Columns
E-SWAT was always one of those rose-tinted games for me that didn't match the memory - loved the box art and loading sequence, then the game never seemed to follow up! Some of the bosses in it are just unfair.. :D

I wonder if the Japanese version was any different?

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Pacific wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:56 am
SpecChum81 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Road Rash
ESWAT
Pit-Fighter
Columns
E-SWAT was always one of those rose-tinted games for me that didn't match the memory - loved the box art and loading sequence, then the game never seemed to follow up! Some of the bosses in it are just unfair.. :D

Not that I remember - I first played it on import and don't remember any massive changes.
Used to be able to loop this on 1 life, got absolutely on the fourth level last time I fired it up.

I'm playing Rondo of Blood. Absolutely fantastic, though I'm somewhat concerned about how badly my reflexes are actually dwindling, given that I'm told this is an easy Castlevania clear....

JosepZ

Post by JosepZ » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:45 am

This week I'm playing a couple of hacks of Mega Drive games. There are many good ones.

- Streets of Rage 2: Return of the Fighters 2019. This one basically replaces Axel, Blaze and Skate with their Bare Knuckle III counterparts, changes their move sets, adds the ability to run like in SOR3, changes the color palettes on some backgrounds (some changes are pretty dramatic but very well done IMHO) and adds some other enhancements in the options screen. Very good. The patch you have to apply to the SOR2 ROM is easy to find.

- Sonic 1 & 2. Very interesting one. This is a hack of Sonic 2 that allows you to play all levels from the first 2 sonic games in a row. You can spin dash in the levels of Sonic 1 and play with Sonic and/or Tails like in regular Sonic 2. You can find it, along with many other interesting ones, at SonicRetro.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:47 am

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:03 pm
I'm playing Rondo of Blood. Absolutely fantastic, though I'm somewhat concerned about how badly my reflexes are actually dwindling, given that I'm told this is an easy Castlevania clear....
I wouldn't say Rondo is super easy difficulty wise, its not the hardest CV game in the series compared to say - the later stuff in CV1 or certain Terror Trio routes in 3 but it can still hold its own especially in the hidden levels. Its definitely easier than doing a run of the Super NES Dracula X though, but that game just feels unbalanced difficulty wise at certain points, I really gotta go back and replay it some time.

Anyway, started playing through the Yakuza 4 remaster on my PS4 a couple of days back and have touched nothing else since then. Its even better than I remember the game being on release. Remaster wise the uppsed frame rate makes the combat feel so smooth, and as always it has optional content that you can get lost spending hours doing. Looks like another 100 hours will be spent with this one as per usual...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:35 am

Where does Super Castlevania 4 stand in the difficulty hericahy? I haven't played any of the other Castlevanias and, except for the spiky dungeon and maybe the odd mistimed jump before the final boss run, I could easily 1cc that game.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:35 pm

I personally found CV4 one of the easier/less hard ones. Its fairly designed in my experience so while its not a push over, it doesn't have any points where the game really blocks your progress hard. Only points I think where it really ramps up is the final couple of stages but I think the game checkpoints more there to compensate. Or I may have imagined that.

SpecChum81

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:18 pm

Pacific wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:56 am

I actually always rather liked it!

It's not a huge favourite of mine, but it's always fun to play and I enjoy revisiting it every now and again.

And you're right about the bosses!!
Press Play On Tape

SpecChum81

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:19 pm

SPECCY SATURDAY

Sabre Wulf
Gauntlet
Werewolves Of London
Chip's Challenge

:D
Press Play On Tape

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:42 am

Assassins Creed Origins. After a short hiatus I'm back on this back on this big time. 40 hours in, and level 31. I'm clearing every area fully as I get there and usually at this point I start mainlining the story but I just can't stop getting treasure or clearing enemy camps. I can see me hitting 100 plus hour in this in my quest!

Also dabbling a couple of nights a week co-op on the division 2. It's fun but I won't be getting deep into the end game like my co-op colleagues.

I got Sekiro Shadows die twice for my Birthday and had a quick look at that. Great game but I'm finishing AC first.