What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:43 pm

silvergunner wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:03 pm
psj3809 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:32 pm
New Zealand Story (MAME)

Love this game and play it a lot, only discovered about 6 months ago that there are 'warp gates' in the game. If you see yourself firing and the bullets end 'short' its because theres an invisible warp gate you can activate, keep shooting and it'll appear and make you jump ahead say from 1-3 to 2-2.

All those years i played it and never realised !
Strange one that. I also have never heard of the warp gates or read about them when a feature has been done on the game.
Worth watching. All this time I just never knew !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6V-QCOelPw

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:44 pm
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 am
I've been having a great time in Spintires:Mudrunners.
In my 35 years of gaming I’ve never played a game that is so unpleasant to play. It’s a horrible game environment, it actively hurts your right trigger finger as you desperately try to get any speed going, it couldn’t be more brown, it explains nothing and yet punishes you for everything and it’s almost unfathomably dull. Like in the worst way.

It’s too hostile to be relaxing and too one dimensional to be exciting. It’s like they came up with a recipe for anti-fun.

Actually, Superman by Tynesoft on the Speccy was less fun.
If anything I think it needs to be tougher. Once I had done the "Challenges" and gotten an idea of what the game is about (and many retries of the first mission) I've found it to be a very relaxing, laid back game, even on "hardcore".
Infinite fuel & vehicle repairs (if you can get the resources to where you need them) really takes the edge off any mistakes or mishaps. I felt it needs some kind of resource management.
The only time I've felt close to failure was the map "deluge", where, before you can really start, you have to tow two "garage" trailers across a river. First crossing went fine but the second ended with my big tow truck broken and stranded in the river, the trailer with it.
Luckily I was able to winch them both out but if either had been washed away I would have been screwed.
It needed more "oh censored" moments like that.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Space Dave on Switch. Essentially a Galaga clone with the addition that diving enemies can blow up the ground, which you can replace by blowing up the now mutated baddie and throwing his corpse in the lava-filled hole he left. Add a light sprinkling of power-ups, some nicely done retro style audio visuals, and a pretty decent challenge, and you have the best game if its tyre since Space Invaders Extreme on 360. Currently on sale for 1.40, if you've any interest on shooters at all it's an utter steal at that price.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Returned to my Yakuza 5 save that I haven't played for over a year :shock:

Still trying to get back into it. Got distracted by other games at the time which is a shame since I adore Yakuza. Got the newer games sitting unplayed on my shelf so I want to get Y5 out of the way at last...not that I want to rush it of course. Definitely games that are worth savouring.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:35 am

I'm really enjoying Sky Force Reloaded. Sky Force Anniversary was a pleasant surprise when I discovered it. Reloaded has taken all that was good about Anniversary added some extras, inc new ships and powerups, that mix up the gameplay and really add to the experience. This game has that 'just one more go' element and always feels like getting past the next challenge is just within my grasp! A lot of fun!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 am

Dead Cells on the PS4, really enjoying it. Has that retro style
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:58 am

Super Smash Bros Ultimate, plays like previous games, which is good, but feels even more detailed and polished.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Life is Strange: Before the storm. A welcome break after 700 hours of rocket league.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood on the DS.

Thought I would go back and finish it off as it has been a couple of years since I started it. Nope, it has actually been nine years since I last played it. :shock:

Had completely forgotten where I was and what I was doing on it so just started it again. I do now remember how damn annoying the fight with three robots is and was on chapter three.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

merman

Post by merman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:57 am

Split Personalities on multiple formats...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Violent Storm arcade class game.

Fire Emblem Wii I had to restarted this on easy and my god it’s still hard
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:48 pm

If I remember rightly, they messed up the difficulty settings when bringing Fire Emblem from Japan to the West so Easy is actually Normal, Normal is actually Hard etc. You can transfer Path of Radiance data from the Gamecube if you have it on a GC mem card but obviously, the difficulty's won't match!

Love Violent Storm too. One of my favourites.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Still playing Mudrunner. Finished all levels and challenges so just doing achievements and messing about.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:46 pm
Shinobi wrote:

If I remember rightly, they messed up the difficulty settings when bringing Fire Emblem from Japan to the West so Easy is actually Normal, Normal is actually Hard etc. You can transfer Path of Radiance data from the Gamecube if you have it on a GC mem card but obviously, the difficulty's won't match!

So they done a Streets of Rage 3 difficulty with it, it’s a really unfair game. You get some characters like that Masked Man (he’s just referred to as the black knight) and Titania (Lady caviller) who are way over powered whilst everybody else is mostly weak and dies easy. Mostly using them to nearly kill the enemies and tank hit and other characters landing the killing blow for the XP.

Violent Storm is class
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:36 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:46 pm
Shinobi wrote:

So they done a Streets of Rage 3 difficulty with it, it’s a really unfair game. You get some characters like that Masked Man (he’s just referred to as the black knight) and Titania (Lady caviller) who are way over powered whilst everybody else is mostly weak and dies easy. Mostly using them to nearly kill the enemies and tank hit and other characters landing the killing blow for the XP.

Violent Storm is class
Usually in FE games, the tank characters aren't as strong later on but the weaker characters become the uber strong tanks later on if you put the time into levelling them up. Titania was one of my favourite characters in the Gamecube game and she was a real tank at the start of that game too but later on she got killed very easily. Problem with the games that came before the 3DS ones is that you can't replay missions to farm EXP and build your army up properly. Unless I'm misremembering?

I need to play Violent Storm on MAME again. My MAME got all messed up and doesn't recognise any of the roms anymore despite nothing at all being changed since the last time I used it.