What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:32 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Spooky wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:Gone back to Guitar Hero 3 for a bit......although I am tiring of it......would anyone recommend I trade it for Rock Band?? And can you get Rock Band with just the guitar and buy the other bits later???
You can get Rock Band alone, and use the GH3 guitar. Otherwise, you can either buy the drums, or the instrument kit...
And yes, I'd definitely recommend Rock Band. It is easier than GH3, less frustrating, and way more fun in multiplayer. :wink:
So tempted to nab the drums and game, looks so sweet! Whats the single player like?
Single mode is very good, especially if you get the drums. Even the singing career is fun. And with your favourite songs, you can play the guitar (or drums) while you sing...
And it's far less frustrating than GH3. The hard mode is actually easy, compared to the hard mode of GH3. The expert mode should be more challenging, but manageable, unlike the same mode in GH3... :wink:

And the online mode is also less frustrating. The "Score duel" mode is fair, the one who gets more points wins, simple as that... (whereas in GH3, you sometimes hit more notes than your opponent but still lost... God that was annoying!)

Anyway, I've started playing Castlevania: Dracula X chronicles and it's absolutely gorgeous! It's still extremely challenging, but you get nice rewards for your efforts!

And Silent Hill Origins looks quite good too.
So far, I do not regret buying a PSP. (haven't tried Crisis Core yet, but I don't think I'll be disappointed)
Next on my PSP list: Medievil Resurrection, Metal Gear Portable Ops, Tekken... :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Virtua Racing Arcade (I didn't just buy the arcade cab, lets just leave it there :wink: )
Never played it before - saw it mentioned on here recently.

Have to say, its quite good fun!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:58 am

Spooky wrote:
Single mode is very good, especially if you get the drums. Even the singing career is fun. And with your favourite songs, you can play the guitar (or drums) while you sing...
And it's far less frustrating than GH3. The hard mode is actually easy, compared to the hard mode of GH3. The expert mode should be more challenging, but manageable, unlike the same mode in GH3... :wink:

And the online mode is also less frustrating. The "Score duel" mode is fair, the one who gets more points wins, simple as that... (whereas in GH3, you sometimes hit more notes than your opponent but still lost... God that was annoying!)

Anyway, I've started playing Castlevania: Dracula X chronicles and it's absolutely gorgeous! It's still extremely challenging, but you get nice rewards for your efforts!

And Silent Hill Origins looks quite good too.
So far, I do not regret buying a PSP. (haven't tried Crisis Core yet, but I don't think I'll be disappointed)
Next on my PSP list: Medievil Resurrection, Metal Gear Portable Ops, Tekken... :wink:
Well you've sold me on RB, I'll be picking it up soon so I guess I'll see you online!
As for Silent Hill, I've just started playing it and it is very good. Graphics and framerate are fantastic for a PSP game and the atmosphere is chilling (make sure to use headphones, makes everything more atmospheric). Ties into Silent Hill a lot as well which is cool. Only thing that lets it down is the combat, it is actually easy and less stressful to run away from enemies!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:56 pm

Rock Band is a lot easier to play than Guitar hero...even got the girls onto medium guitar to a decent standard. the notes seem to be in a more logical manner rather than there being less of them

Our Band is stuck on 550,000 fans tho as we got too drunk to move to hard :lol:

I need to get a chair thats more comfy for the drums too, pedal work is very tiring on the sofa.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:30 am

C=Style wrote:
djcarlos wrote:
C=Style wrote:Still playing a fair bit of Gadget Racers (PS2), am I the only one here who loves this game? It's a really original Car/RPG thing, was called ChoroQ HG3 in Japan. We were pretty lucky to have got a full translation. Even the US didn't get it. If you see it about I recommend you try it out, it's a total gem.
I looked that up after you mentioned it before....it got some awful reviews saying the game was great except for the actual racing which was hopelesly broken.....

Convince me!
OK then if you insist!

Although the game gets off to a pretty dull start as the cars handle like total PIGS to start with, but things do pick up. This is probably where the bad reviews come from (I'm yet to even find a review!) as it takes a little patience to level up. Once you start earning cash you can buy all manner of upgrades to your car which give this game a racing variety that no other game can compare to, it's at this point where the gameplay really opens up. Water races, dirt tracks, tarmac, snow etc with all manner of car add-ons and collectables. I put my mate onto it last week and to quote what he said about it on MSN after spending a few hours with it:

"I honestly think it's one of the best PS2 games I've ever played".

There's a lot to say about it, but if I were you I'd at least try it out as it can be picked up cheap.
:)
Right cool mate I'll give it a shot!

The review was on GameSpot BTW.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:34 am

Finally completed the Simpsons on the Wii.....

That is one frustrating game, but jolly good fun.

I probably laughed more at this game than I have with any other game for a long time......

Armed and Dangerous was the last one that made me chuckle....(Good game)

The Simpsons had a lot of very infuriating levels, but strangely if I switched it off and then played it the next day I could do the level pretty quickly.... :?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:45 am

djcarlos wrote: The review was on GameSpot BTW.
Ignore that review mate as it's for the American game called Gadget Racers which isn't the same game as the European one, it's actually the prequel instead (and not as good).

ChoroQ HG2 = Gadget Racers (US)

ChoroQ HG3 = Gadget Racers (EU)

:)

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:31 pm

I'm currently playing through my Master System games. Only a few I had back as a kid, and i'm quite impressed with some of them. Jurassic Park looks great, Sagaia is good for the MS and Assault City had me playing all night.

Spider-Man was awful though, and World Soccer was somewhat....worse than i remember....

Solidsuikofan

Current Game

Post by Solidsuikofan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:34 pm

I am currently playing through three games, across three generations...

Metal Gear Solid 4 ('nuff said).
Soul Nomad on the PS2 which features an interesting battle system and some insane characterisation.
and Broken Sword on the PS1. George Stobbart amuses me quite profusely...

'Don't shoot I'm innocent. I'm an american...'
'Can't make up your min huh?'

Great memories...
Rich aka Solidsuikofanatic :D.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:16 pm

I don't know where to turn at the moment, to be honest! The new PC has opened up a slew of games I'd been unable to play previously, and I'm still addicted to the retro stuff I have in progress.

Recently I've been tinkering with:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Sins of a Solar Empire
Neverwinter Nights 2
Mass Effect PC
Wizardry I
Civilization Revolution
Gothic 3
Rock Band
Company of Heroes
Pool of Radiance

And I'm going to try to get through Fallout 1 and 2 in preparation for 3... :shock:

Still, it's better to have an embarrasment of riches than nothing at all that grabs interest :)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:19 pm

The boys currently be playing (a lengthy session) :

Rock Band (360)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Killer Instinct (SNES)
Super Punch Out (SNES)
Streets of Rage II (MD)
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Finally got around to playing Mario 64 for the first time ever. At first, Id didnt see what the big deal was...........but then I got into it! OMG! Its absolutely brilliant!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Been playing a few PS1 games, Rage Racer (didn't get round to playing it back in the day) which although is still a RR game, it's said to be a little bit different from the earlier games. Seems ok so far.

Also Rollcage Stage II, used to love this game, obviously it's well dated looking now but it's still pretty fast and has a great soundtrack.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:26 am

Project Zero (X-Box)

After many recommendations in the past I've finally took the plunge.
Lordy, what a bad vibe of a game. Turned off late last night because it was starting to get a bit too oppressive. Standard survival horror really, but the art design/soundtrack/atmosphere are really great.

Link's Crossbow Training (Wii) and Space Invaders Extreme (DS) are my "quickie" games of the moment. Both are gorgeous, polished arcade gems, but SIE is something really, really special.

Fever Time! 8)
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:07 am

Just finished Condemned I really liked the storyline.

Starting FEAR tonight