What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:56 am

Type2XS wrote:
MikeHaggar wrote:I guess you won't like the 80+ minutes long cutscenes then ;)
:lol: But it's just like bonerlaw said. Most of the real long cutscenes are so crucial and filled with great details, that you really lose your sense of time.
Didn't Kojima speak out that there aren't any 80 minute custscenes? Either way, the cutscenes really draw me into the overall story and I can't wait to see how it all ends!
Just a quick mention about the gameplay (it does exist!), I like the way the 3rd person aiming mechanic has been refined from previous games (nothing really groundbreaking but it had to be done!), a proper camera like MGS3 substinence (another needed feature which makes the game less annoying), refined Close quarters combat and a more action packed approach in general.
I've found myself straying away from the stealthy approach at times to help the militia (mostly to create a distraction!). Octocamo is a logical step forward from the camo in MGS3 (no more constant accessing the menu to switch). Oh, and it looks really nice as well!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:29 am

I really don't know, how long the longest cutscene in the game is. As I said, I really lost my sense of time because they are just so great.

In terms of gameplay I 100% agree with you. The best thing is, that the game lets you your freedom how to approach a certain situation. It's not like in many Actiongames which force you to do it the stealth way (otherwise the mission fails), or to force you to kill everything on sight. It's my own decision how to play the game. And that's something which isn't exactly common in the genre...

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:46 am

currently playing Ninja Gaiden Black which I downloaded from Xbox Live. Bloody superb!!

tough as nails but the combat is so good with tight controls it really rewards thoughtful gameplay, not button mashing. the bosses can be really frustrating but when you beat them you feel sooooooo happy! its great!

thl

Post by thl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:02 am

Completed Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare over the weekend. Still continuing with 'Terrorist Hunt' on Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 through Realistic difficulty.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:29 pm

Quake Wars Enenmy Territory is taking most of my spare time at the moment.......PC version

and also playing Crackdown and GTA 4

Crackdown is one of the finest games ever......

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:11 pm

It certainly is a damn fine game

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:44 pm

My save games for Crackdown corrupted when i installed that content update :( Should go back and start again one of these days...but i was so close to getting all the orbs it just kind of made me sick thinking about it ;)

The climb to the top of the tower is the only time i've ever gotten vertigo from a videogame - that was so awesome :D
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

IDDQD

Post by IDDQD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:29 pm

MGS4 - one of the best games I have ever played!
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (DC) I play this game a few times a week and IMO is one of the best 2D fighters ever made!
Doom 64 - Doom is my favourite game series ever so I am always playing a verion of Doom at some point.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:10 pm

Every time I have a jump from a high building I get that rollercoaster feeling.......not many games do that to me.......I love just jumping around...it really is a stunning game.....

I am happily bouncing around picking orbs up......

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:49 am

ShadowMan wrote:Didn't Kojima speak out that there aren't any 80 minute custscenes?
Assistant producer Ryan Payton has said that there's no 90 minute cut-scenes:

http://kotaku.com/5013357/kojima-produc ... -cutscenes

:P

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:04 am

Completed Ninja Gaiden 2 yesterday, what a great game the amount of combat moves you can perform and sheer amount of enemies to kill is amazing - very satisfying. The last boss was ridiculous but not unfair (the last boss on DMC 4 is the king of cheese).

Now moving on to warrior difficulty and going to finally finish off Condemned.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:22 am

Civilization 2: Test Of Time

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:03 am

Damn that mr big on art of fighting. He keeps using the same cheap move over and over again :evil:

Anyone know how to beat him? :evil:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:08 am

nesmaster wrote:Damn that mr big on art of fighting. He keeps using the same cheap move over and over again :evil:

Anyone know how to beat him? :evil:
The first Art of Fighting? I used the wall jump a lot which seems to work very well against him. Jump toward a wall and press the C button as you touch the wall and you'll rebound off of it with a flying kick attack (if I remember that right). More often than not he won't block it. Same thing worked against Mr Karate as well.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:09 am

MikeHaggar wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Didn't Kojima speak out that there aren't any 80 minute custscenes?
Assistant producer Ryan Payton has said that there's no 90 minute cut-scenes:

http://kotaku.com/5013357/kojima-produc ... -cutscenes

:P
my mate reckons the ending is very long...maybe thats the "90 minute" cut scene?