What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Megamixer wrote:Lost a couple of hours of progress in No More Heroes when the PS3 randomly froze. F***

My fault for not saving but still seriously gutted. Definitely going to have to leave it to one side for a bit until I fancy re-doing everything I've lost.

I'm trying to remember if I had such issues when I played the PS3 version through last year... I do remember the frame rate being iffy, tearing was pretty distracting in places. I think I cursed the camera most of the time though, 1 hit KO's from Shinobu were a pain in the ass. Probably had more problems with her than anyone else!
I don't remember how I got on with challenges either. I either got good enough to clear them, or just gave up (I want to say I got good, but giving up sounds like a very likely outcome for some of those 1 hit KO challenges!).

Anyway, I somehow managed to clear Mighty No 9 tonight without losing any lives (challenge 36 makes you play the entire game in one sitting with only one life). Needless to say, now that's done I've no desire to do it again!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 am

More Fallout 4. My level 47 stealth character is starting to feel a little underpowered. She's fine when I get the stealth bonus multiplier, but last night I fast travelled into a "help defend" mission and was ambushed by a pack of Gunners AND a Mirelurk Queen. The game dropped me right in it! No stealth bonus. I died...a lot.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:46 am

Overwatch - Started playing on PC, sad to see none of my ranks or unlocks carry over...but it just means I get to do it all over again, so I'm not mad :mrgreen: . The changes to the game on PC are glorious too! D.VA is an absolute monster with great range and Cowboy B!tchface no longer one-shot's every character in the game!

Grow Home - Really beautiful platformer, almost reminds me of Rare's style. I love the gentle, relaxed exploration and great sense of height. I'd be further into the game if I didn't constantly jump off the flower at every opportunity :lol:

Never Alone - Another pretty platformer, although nowhere near as interesting. It kind of goes for that storybook Child of Light vibe, and there's certain points where it really nails it. The problem is the actual level design and gameplay just aren't that compelling.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:25 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Lost a couple of hours of progress in No More Heroes when the PS3 randomly froze. F***

My fault for not saving but still seriously gutted. Definitely going to have to leave it to one side for a bit until I fancy re-doing everything I've lost.

I'm trying to remember if I had such issues when I played the PS3 version through last year... I do remember the frame rate being iffy, tearing was pretty distracting in places. I think I cursed the camera most of the time though, 1 hit KO's from Shinobu were a pain in the ass. Probably had more problems with her than anyone else!
I don't remember how I got on with challenges either. I either got good enough to clear them, or just gave up (I want to say I got good, but giving up sounds like a very likely outcome for some of those 1 hit KO challenges!).
Basically I initiated the sign-spinning job and after the countdown finished, the game just froze. The Home button wasn't responding either so I had to reset the console with the power button :(

Must have got lucky with Shinobu because I don't remember the one-hit kills in either this version or the Wii original...I actually feel like I beat her easier in the PS3 version but then again, all of the bosses have been a walkover so far when spamming the evasion mechanic.

I don't even bother with those one hit knockout challenges as they are so brutal it's unfunny. Tried a few but can't be bothered with them. I'm aiming for all the collectables and mission completions but I'm not going to try and get gold medals on anything that is torturous!

I just think the whole package was a bit of a missed oppurtunity. The city should have been filled out with more interaction and including the sequel wouldn't have gone a miss either since it was actually the better game and NOT having to bike around the ghosttown of a city was a LOT better. Being able to fight the bosses in Travis' daydreams is pretty cool though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Basically I initiated the sign-spinning job and after the countdown finished, the game just froze. The Home button wasn't responding either so I had to reset the console with the power button :(

Must have got lucky with Shinobu because I don't remember the one-hit kills in either this version or the Wii original...I actually feel like I beat her easier in the PS3 version but then again, all of the bosses have been a walkover so far when spamming the evasion mechanic.

I don't even bother with those one hit knockout challenges as they are so brutal it's unfunny. Tried a few but can't be bothered with them. I'm aiming for all the collectables and mission completions but I'm not going to try and get gold medals on anything that is torturous!

I just think the whole package was a bit of a missed oppurtunity. The city should have been filled out with more interaction and including the sequel wouldn't have gone a miss either since it was actually the better game and NOT having to bike around the ghosttown of a city was a LOT better. Being able to fight the bosses in Travis' daydreams is pretty cool though.
Some (or most) of the combat missions aren't worth doing until you have the best weapon. It makes things so much easier from what I remember. And yeah, I did not like the free roam stuff at all, it felt like it was open world for the sake of it, there was no reason to really explore bar the arbitrary travel from point a to point b while trying to find some of the hidden collectables to improve Travis. I've still not played NMH2 yet, I really should though, as I do support the move to removing the open world from the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:51 am

Right now, it's the excellent Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-. It's an incredible looking game, it has a big-budget anime feel in cutscenes and manages to animate 3D models like sprites. It plays just as well - if you like the hyperactive Arc System Works fighting style (BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, etc.) you'll really get on with it. If you're in it primarily for the single-player content, maybe not so much.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:55 am

Crusader Kings 2 - Had it sitting in my Steam account for a long time, tried it a few times and never got into it, but now it has clicked I am totally hooked!! Started as the Duke of Warwickshire (as that is my homeland) and so far survived the Norman invasion, survived a rebellion started by The Duke Of York, claimed and won the lands of Westmoorland and York. Now plotting on taking Durham and Lincoln, to hopefully have a strong enough army to form my own rebellion and take the crown of England.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:24 am

Had to try my new projector

So I did the right thing and hooked up my 7800 and played some Yars revenge

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:41 am

DPrinny wrote:Had to try my new projector

So I did the right thing and hooked up my 7800 and played some Yars revenge
On acid?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:48 am

No on the wall

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:50 pm

Full Mojo Rampage on Xbox One. It's a twin stick shooter rogue-like ( :roll: ) with a voodoo/undead theme.

But hold on! While it may fall into the increasingly overdone indie trend of rogue-like blatherings, it's actually turning out to be an enjoyable and smart little game. If you ever liked the idea of The Binding Of Isaac but were put off by that game's biblical premise, poo-ridden art style and timesucking difficulty then Full Mojo Rampage is worth checking out. The graphics and gameplay are great, the randomness isn't a pain and you hardly ever feel like you're hitting a cliff with the difficulty although there's definitely a decent challenge there.
I'm really liking it.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:00 pm

Overwatch, trying to get good with Widowmaker, much to my Group's mirth. Seriously hyped for Ranked, and the news of the Torb nerf is really welcome.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Poking about with some LAN setup for the games night

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:00 pm

dragon age origins

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:15 am

Odin Sphere for the Vita. I've not played the PS2 version so this game is fresh to me. Its great fun - the combat riffs off of Muramasa quite a bit I feel, which is great news as I loved that game. I'm playing on hard mode as well to get the most challenge out of the game, and its been excellent so far. Its just right difficulty wise, there are a load of different enemies to battle and the bosses have been great fun so far as well. It looks beautiful as well on the Vita screen and runs really smooth as well. Definitely recommend this to anyone that wants a decent 2D action game for the Vita. Looks like there is plenty of story and content to the game as well, so I'm guessing its going to take me a while to finish the game.
DPrinny wrote:Image
Poking about with some LAN setup for the games night
That looks really cool :mrgreen: