What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MediaCult

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by MediaCult » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:28 am

Currently playing Blast Factor on PS3. A great little game. Finally finished it, and will get the DLC after I have the other achievements.

Other than that, 190+ ours in Fallout 4, survival mode. Other than having to run back and fourth hundreds of time to gather materials, I enjoy it more this second time around.
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:00 pm

Re-playing Black on PS2. Still one of the most entertaining FPS' ever and it's amazing how good it still looks (Xbox version was a bit sharper but hey-ho). Up to the final - and very much dreaded - Spetriniv Gulag level now. Aced all of the other levels but so far I've been killed twice before reaching the first checkpoint. Looking forward (not really) to THAT final room...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:36 pm

DOTT remastered, and it's awesome. Love the way you can turn on director's commentary mid-game.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm

That Strider remake, so you cant block bullets?

Sonic lost world, seems ok I guess

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:02 am

Just Cause 3 (PS4) - Another game from my pile, I decided to try out. Very impressed with it so far, plenty of things to make explode!! Although, it does feel like the console is struggling to keep up with the game when things get a bit crazy on screen.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:07 pm

The longest journey
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:28 pm

Been playing loads of Mighty No 9 over the last couple of days. I know it got savaged by reviews but I don't think its anywhere near that bad. I'm really enjoying it now. There are several problems no doubt, a couple of which really do hurt the game (ledge grabbing for example is very spotty, I've died more times falling off ledges by accident than anything else in this game...), some of the level design is rough as well (Capital Building and Highway for example are never going to be classics) but I loved the fortress levels and final boss fights. Its not as good as Mega Man, but I'll take this as a substitute. Its a pity that between the savaging by reviews and the PR blunders by the devs that there probably won't be a sequel, as with a bit of tweaking it could be an excellent game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:17 am

after reading the latest issue I'm playing Samurai Showdown 2 on the 360

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:48 pm

Still inching towards 100% on Yakuza 4 - currently tackling the hostess missions for the three hostesses you create during the Hostess Maker challenge. Finished one of them, now onto the second. The only added bonus is that I have at least been able to make them look more to my tastes at the end of the Maker segment though I find it a bit poor that the game uses stock images for their business cards and not an image of how they actually look in-game. Oh well!

Also had a stab at trying some more games from my PS3 backlog. Started off with X-Blades which I thought - despite being a huge fan of the similarly-styled Onechanbara games - was a load of boring rubbish. It isn't broken, just deathly dull in a repetitive way that even other repetitive games such as Onechanbara or the Warriors games aren't. To be fair, it is an early PS3 game that costs a few quid to buy and doesn't really sell itself as a major game so I wasn't expecting anything amazing. Straight onto the 'get rid' pile.

Then I finally fired up No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise. Again, I was disappointed but mostly by how little this version seems to improve on the entertaining Wii original. Santa Destroy is still a ghost town, the bike handles even worse than I remember and the controls don't really feel intuitive on a standard pad (I had the Move remote but couldn't be bothered to dig it out and charge it - might have to give it a go after all though). Worse, the game switches to 4:3 on my TV for some bizarre reason and so I had to manually alter the display on the TV! It's a good job that the actual content and style is still gold then as I'm enjoying that part of NMH once more. I will have to give the Move a go and see if it improves the experience.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:41 am

Fired the breadbin C64 up and played Frightmare(a game I always wanted to play) it's so frustrating Forgot how hard games where back the .. Limited bullets and monsters that can be killed with a gun but respawn within seconds of snuffing it.. Even with infinite lives I couldn't get far..

Ollies Follies this was good apart from you continue to walk forward a few paces when you stop or jump made it needesly difficult..

Played Vixen for a bit love this game and Mastertronics 'Ninja'

Almost finished Valkyria Chronicles I think chapter 16 fight against 'Maximillion' and Odin Sphere so many good PS4 games coming out..
Last edited by Shinobi on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:11 am

Played way more of Mighty No 9 today. Managed to finish Hard mode and am most of the way through Hyper mode now. Almost finished all the challenges as well. Yeah, its not perfect but I'm loving this game now. I've gotten into my groove and I'm able to sail through levels fairly competently now. The oil rig level still sucks though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:18 am

More Fallout 4. More Civ V. My two gaming vices have me in their grip. When will I shake these monkeys on my back? I have so many other games to play...

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:35 pm

I've started Fallout 4 Survival difficulty. I'm bored of the constant demands for food and water already and all I'e done is travel from Vault 111 to Concorde! Not being able to save on the fly is going to be a right pain in the arse, too.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:00 pm

So I made it to he power armour above concorde's museum, being a good little boy keeping the vault dweller properly hydrated, fed and well rested only to get insta-killed when the death claw managed to get me despite there being a wall between us. I then spent an hour getting killed by those same raiders in lots o cheap and really annoying ways. So, censored this game basically.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:34 pm

Lost a couple of hours of progress in No More Heroes when the PS3 randomly froze. F***

My fault for not saving but still seriously gutted. Definitely going to have to leave it to one side for a bit until I fancy re-doing everything I've lost.