What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by NickThorpe » Tue May 31, 2016 7:13 am

I just smashed my way through Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, which still took a good 30 hours despite the fact that I'd beaten it before on PS3 (and done both PSP sequels). It still looks gorgeous and plays very well. I'm now doing the DLC bits I never played on PS3.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 31, 2016 2:13 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:Valkyria Chronicles Europa Edition (PS4) - Wanted something really different to play after AC: Syndicate and this certainly ticks the box, wasn't familiar with the series but Megamixer gave it glowing recommendation! Like how to story is split up into chapters in a book and the combat mechanics is ace!
Glad you're enjoying it :)
NickThorpe wrote:I just smashed my way through Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, which still took a good 30 hours despite the fact that I'd beaten it before on PS3 (and done both PSP sequels). It still looks gorgeous and plays very well. I'm now doing the DLC bits I never played on PS3.
'Behind Her Blue Flame' is excellent and certainly adds another side to Selvaria's personality. I didn't think much of the other bits to be honest and didn't really understand why there was a load of DLC centred on Edy :?

I wish they'd included VCII and an official translation of III in the Remastered collection!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue May 31, 2016 5:22 pm

Gone back to the original Resident Evil, and my memory is serving me well with regards to where everything is. Since I grew up with tank controls I have no problem with them, although the lack of a quick turn or reload in the original takes some getting used to. Main thing compared to the remake is just how much room there is in the corridors, meaning you can easily avoid the zombies most of the time. Much has been said about how awful the acting is, but there's something charming about how amateurish the whole thing is. Can you image a Japanese AAA title today just grabbing the first white actors they found who looked like the in game characters? Always found it odd how they shot the live action intro and ending, but used CG for the cutscenes, and how out of place that cast intro is.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 31, 2016 6:39 pm

Double Switch the Deborah Harry game via the Mega cd bit rubbish really and Corey Haim keeps failing me for not trapping the Janitor and when I do trap the Janitor he still fails me.. Got to the second level with the Mummy "Oh wait it's Haim under the mask and he's a serial killer" I keep trapping the same 5 or 6 people watch the same scene over again and any of the interesting cut scene's I can't watch as they fail you or 'Haim' interrupts you.. Tried watching Youtube replays couldn't find without voice-overs of complete Muppet's screaming "Its Cory Haim man" and they dying about 10 seconds into the game.. Really want to like this game but can't..

Also tried Willy Beamish also mega cd but the loading is so bad is renders it almost unplayable good to see the stereotype fat kid/school bully

Silphead boring and too easy like it better then starfox music and speech is awesome
Ninja Warriors the Snes version is a million times better
Musha this is pretty good

Beginning t think the Mega cd reputation is deserved
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue May 31, 2016 6:56 pm

Shinobi wrote: Ninja Warriors the Snes version is a million times better
Ay , maybe but the soundtrack on Mega cd is awesome - the Taito in house band play all of the hits and my favourite is Daddy Mulk ( the theme). The game in general is a slow duffer regardless of format though

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:20 am

Megamixer wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:Valkyria Chronicles Europa Edition (PS4) - Wanted something really different to play after AC: Syndicate and this certainly ticks the box, wasn't familiar with the series but Megamixer gave it glowing recommendation! Like how to story is split up into chapters in a book and the combat mechanics is ace!
Glad you're enjoying it :)
NickThorpe wrote:I just smashed my way through Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, which still took a good 30 hours despite the fact that I'd beaten it before on PS3 (and done both PSP sequels). It still looks gorgeous and plays very well. I'm now doing the DLC bits I never played on PS3.
'Behind Her Blue Flame' is excellent and certainly adds another side to Selvaria's personality. I didn't think much of the other bits to be honest and didn't really understand why there was a load of DLC centred on Edy :?

I wish they'd included VCII and an official translation of III in the Remastered collection!
Very much so, had to take a few attempts at the missions on chapters 3/4, my careful approach whilst not loosing any soldiers was too slow for the 20 turn limit....wish there was an option to turn the limit off.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Just playing the start of Resident Evil 2 again and have just noticed something I've never realised before. Just after the basketball court there's a car that looks just like Mr Bean's Mini!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:36 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Shinobi wrote: Ninja Warriors the Snes version is a million times better
Ay , maybe but the soundtrack on Mega cd is awesome - the Taito in house band play all of the hits and my favourite is Daddy Mulk ( the theme). The game in general is a slow duffer regardless of format though
Musha and Ninja Warrior where copies and originally neither game had music.. Playing Ninja Warrior with the music really improves the experience as the music is brilliant Mulk is the guy who made the Robots that music would be in the fmv video I seem to have problems playing the fmv/film intro on Ninja Warriors it crashes after a while.. The Snes version is a totally different game and one of th best Snes games.. I'm using an Everdrive to get the us/jap games to run but even my original jap Annette Again the cut scenes are out of synch.. Friend put a 50/60hz and it runs fine in 60.. Did Ninja Warriors get a pal release as I don't see it on EBay any region.. Again every game I want is stupidly expensive such as the FMV fighting game, Time Gal etc

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:36 pm

The Order 1886 - Just played the prologue and chapter 1, what a pretty game!! So far I'm liking the characters and setting quite a lot. The gunplay feels a little off and I'm already sick of QTE's but we'll see how it goes.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:16 pm

Uncharted 4 I never liked the Uncharted games but I really like 4, some really good action sequences such as the fight on the vehicles and Armoured car chase. I'm now have 'Elona' and I'm on Pirate Ghost Averys level with the exploding Mummy's which is suitably creepy with all the human taxidermy and the room made from human hands.. I'm hoping it will go the supernatural route maybe like Raiders of the Lost Ark..

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:38 pm

No Pal release for Ninja Warriors but that doesnt affect me! Im slowly getting there with my Mega cd collection , though still yet to replace my Sonic CD and as yet still havent even played Wonderdog , even if it is supposed to be bland.

Really want to try Timegal and Funky Horror Band among others but not picked them up yet either.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:59 pm

Started Ray Gigant on the Vita. Its a mix of DRPG gameplay and a visual novel. I'm loving the gameplay so far but not feeling the story completely, mainly just down to pretty much every character being a censored. Hopefully that'll change as I continue playing.

I've also come to the end of Yakuza for the PS4. I'm on the final chapter ready to do the final few fights, I've pretty much done all the side stuff now, bar a couple of bits I'll mop up in Premium Adventure mode. Plus there is still the challenge mode left to do. I'll be sad to see the game finished, I've loved revisiting the first game and am over the moon at how solid the remake has been. I can only hope there is an announcement for a similar styled remake for 2 on the way next year, as the team are busy with Yakuza 6 at the moment...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:11 am

Hearthstone. I'm actively trying to remember the rules and strategies so I'll be ready to play a friend.

And so I stand on the verge of a very long and dangerous rabbit hole... :lol:

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:57 am

Just started playing Alpha Protocol on 360.

For the £2 I paid for it I'm looking forward to playing through this.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:48 am

My son is enjoying playing all the characters in Overwatch at the moment. He's not bad for a noob!